Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 19:21   #1

sailing around the world at my own time.

hi im 20 years old in the and iam planning a trip around the world in 3 or so years form now with my friend we both have no prior sailing experience i have only been sailing 3 times lol very ambitious we know. what i was looking at was what i would need as far as courses ,license's technical know how and charting skills was looking at getting a mono hull in the range of 33"-40" working with a budget of a 150-175k would this be possible. be kind plz lol
lajoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 19:28   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Your budget is probably not unrealistic. Your shortage of experience is a problem. Any fool can buy a boat and sail it around the world. Do a google search on "Bumfuzzle" to see a youngish couple who did exactly that, with zero experience. I advise you to sail as much as you possibly can between now and then. Good luck.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 19:32   #3

yeah this is my main concern as well iam in the air force now but switching navy next month so hoping this will give me a better feel for the sea. last thing i want is to be 15 days out in the Atlantic and run into a storm and have no clue what to do. i have been reading the great lakes is one of the best for ocean practice time will tell thx for the post though
Old 06-05-2008, 19:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
what i was looking at was what i would need as far as courses ,license's technical know how and charting skills was looking at getting a mono hull in the range of 33"-40" working with a budget of a 150-175k would this be possible
Possible - heck yes. What is possible is not always desirable. You don't need a license except for the radio and they will sell you one for not much money. The rest is just being good enough to think you could actually do it. It helps if you really are good. I would expect to work at it a bit and build a little experience.

The real secret is to take as long as possible to get back. You already know all about where you are so what is there to gain getting back in a hurry? Staying out there for a great deal of time takes a bit more skill. Nothing wrong with being good at something.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 19:46   #5

what do mean by staying out there as long as possible ?
Old 06-05-2008, 20:36   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajoie87 View Post
Don't rush through your voyage. Start out with smaller steps if you can. There are certain skills that you can only become good at by doing them. Reading helps you prepare for your real education, which you will get "out there". So, it makes sense to keep an easy pace when you can, allowing you to fine-tune your skills, expectations, and plans.

For the mechanics of sailing around the world, look at Jimmy Cornell's book "World Cruising Routes". You do want to schedule your trip to take advantage of favorable seasonal conditions, and avoid the storm seasons. This will be a big factor in your planning.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It's a journey not a destination. If you finish then it will be over. Being in a hurry leads to many poor decisions. Things you never had time to do become the things you should have done.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
If you look at the board there alot of posts on buying boats. I suggest that you start by reading. Beth Leonards book A Voyagers Hnadbook is good Nigel Caulders A cruisers Handbook, Hal Roth How to Sail around the World (I think). By reading all of these books you will gain an understanding of what it takes and wheter or not it is something you want to do. The budget seems reasonable. Remeber that you need to spend less than the budget on the boat and have some ting in reserve to make the modificatons that you want/need.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33   #9

Lajoie87,

Look for a Coast Guard Auxiliary navigation course in your area. Take that for a feel for the nav work. It will also give you a feel for a lot of things marine. Most are “Old Farts” like me and some others on the boards, but they love to share stories. Some MAY even be true, but all are part of a learning experience.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 19:58   #10

Boat: islander, 37- help?
hey guys!
great idea, you dont have to sail around the world by starting out accross the ocean, sail down the coast for a while. there are plenty of places to duck and cover. play in the icw. read, read, read! be carefull who you take advice from... learn how to splice a rope...
neckyzips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world