Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2012, 16:51   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Re: Returning a New Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post

But therein lies the problem. I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for something to break. I'm naturally a paranoid worrisome and anxious person, but this makes it much worse. It seems I can't escape the feeling the there is some major problem about to hit. I'm even afraid to unfurl my main out completely due to it not working correctly so many times. I'm afraid to run the engine on dead days because it's failed more than twice. I keep checking this and that all the time, and yes that's good but to an extent. Etc etc... I think you all get the point.

All this to say, what can I do to get some confidence back in my boat?
Chef2Sail (Dave) has it right. Confidence in the boat comes from sailing it a lot.

Things will break. Boats are like helicopters. A collection of parts flying in formation intent on flinging themselves apart.

We broke lots of stuff in the first year. Although you don't want that on a new boat and shouldn't expect it, as you find there are good equipment installed wrong and so forth to deal with.

Drive the boat hard close to home where a failure doesn't mean huge towing and out base repairs. If you go the "buy repairs" route instead of learning to fix stuff it will be more expensive.

There are some things that should be bullet proof - rigging, through hulls and an engine you have confidence in.

Get the first 2 checked and ride the engine hard for a while. Better to find out any weakness early and before you are far from home.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:36   #92

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'

It is not Hunter; it is your Dealer. My Dealer service department was fantastic Saint Augustine Marine and Hunter is not bankrupt. It is now Marlow-Hunter and they have always given me great advice and service in the past. DO NOT LET A BAD DEALER SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Old 22-10-2012, 09:04   #93

I have a 2005 Hunter 36 that I bought in 07 -- I sail it in the Chesapeake Bay. I've had a few things go wrong here and there, but that seems to be the nature of the beast. I think Hunter built some less than "builder's grade" quality boats in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I always heard people talking about water leaks and other problems with Hunters. Plus, they didn't sail so great. But I think they really turned the corner in the late 90s - early 2000s and upped the quality and started using better suppliers and systems. I think better designs have made for better sailors too.

I went to the Boat Show in Annapolis in 2005 and 2006 and was looking at the production boats (Beneteau, Catalina, Jeanneau, Hunter, etc.), though I was going to buy used regardless (mainly because I wanted a boat that already had some of the "bugs" worked out and of course price). I was impressed with all of them, but I thought Hunter had a good design and a nice package of quality, a user friendly boat, nice interior with good amenities, and decent value for the money.

At least to this point (please don't jinx me because I'm writing this!!), I've been VERY satisfied with my boat. It has essentially lived up to and exceeded my expectiations. I can do some things myself, but fortunately, the yard I use in Middle River, MD is very good. Also, the main Hunter dealer in Havre de Grace, MD is very good (though pretty expensive -- but what else would you expect when it comes to boats!) and I had them put in some nice upgrades for me (like an inverter, quiet flush head, anchor washdown, oceanaire hatch shades) when I first bought the boat.

I like my boat very much. HOWEVER -- the whole bankruptcy thing certainly gives me pause for the future. If Marlow-Hunter is able to keep the company headed in the right direction, then great. But the only way to know that is time. We'll have to see what the next 3, 4, 5 years look like. If they survive and even thrive, then maybe I'd consider a Hunter in the next go-around. But for the time being, I would not buy one -- even a used one that's been built in the last two years. I'd take a wait-and-see when it comes to Hunters going forward. In the meantime, I'll just be happy with what I've got!!!
Old 22-10-2012, 11:57   #94
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Hunter is not bankrupt. It is now Marlow-Hunter "
That's not the story that has been going around, and by "story" I mean from all sources not just guys on the internet.

The information was that Hunter, as part of their parent corporation, did indeed file for bankruptcy and the corporation WAS DISSOLVED. In layman's terms, Hunter was bankrupt and is GONE.

What Marlow did was to buy up the ASSETS and ASSETS ONLY, NONE OF THE LIABILITIES of the old corporation. That means all prior Hunter purchasers have no warranty, and the new Marlow-Hunter Corporation might as well be Fiat or Hyundai, they have no relationship to the old corporation other than having bought various assets, which probably inlcude molds, tooling, trademarks, goodwill, and some rights to the dealer franchising arrangements.

Hunter went bankrupt. Whether the new guys can make a living at it, no one knows. But by buying up only the assets, they certainly screwed all the Hunter owners who had warranties, in order to give themselves a better profit line. That's sadly business as usual these days but it won't earn any respect or loyalty for the new owners of the name.
Old 22-10-2012, 19:42   #95

Boat: Hunter E33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
"Hunter is not bankrupt. It is now Marlow-Hunter "
That's not the story that has been going around, and by "story" I mean from all sources not just guys on the internet.

The information was that Hunter, as part of their parent corporation, did indeed file for bankruptcy and the corporation WAS DISSOLVED. In layman's terms, Hunter was bankrupt and is GONE.

What Marlow did was to buy up the ASSETS and ASSETS ONLY, NONE OF THE LIABILITIES of the old corporation. That means all prior Hunter purchasers have no warranty, and the new Marlow-Hunter Corporation might as well be Fiat or Hyundai, they have no relationship to the old corporation other than having bought various assets, which probably inlcude molds, tooling, trademarks, goodwill, and some rights to the dealer franchising arrangements.

Hunter went bankrupt. Whether the new guys can make a living at it, no one knows. But by buying up only the assets, they certainly screwed all the Hunter owners who had warranties, in order to give themselves a better profit line. That's sadly business as usual these days but it won't uearn any respect or loyalty for the new owners of the name.
That's the truth as I've come to learn in recent days. It's a subject of much debate and possibly recourse.

I spoke with Eddie at hunter marine when I came to learn that my major engine issues would not be covered; those of you that say he's helpful, well that might have been true years ago, maybe he's having a bad year, but that guy is a piece of work. The new company cares noting of its name or customer loyalty whatsoever.

I will never buy a hunter again, regardless if they ever get back on track..
Old 22-10-2012, 19:51   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasselas36
It is not Hunter; it is your Dealer. My Dealer service department was fantastic Saint Augustine Marine and Hunter is not bankrupt. It is now Marlow-Hunter and they have always given me great advice and service in the past. DO NOT LET A BAD DEALER SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Sorry to say buddy but you are 100 percent wrong. Do me a favor and call up hunter yourself and ask; while your at it, ask about their plans for warranties on new boats purchased in the last year. They screwed everyone who was loyal and bought a new model. Yes I had a bad dealer, but that's nothing compared to the load of **** I've gotten from hunter over the short ownership of my new boat. This whole fiasco makes me never want to go sailing again, if you could believe that. Shame on all of them!
Old 23-10-2012, 01:11   #97

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
GreggL,

After research you did choose to go with Hunter. Some of the problems you have had are by the subcontractors like your engine, I am sure it's a Yanmar.sorry to hear of how thy have treated you on other issues, but better more thorough research could have predicted that.

Not sure I ever saw you on here or other sailors forums asking real world experiences on buying different brands boats. How many sailing friends of yours have Hunters? Did they recommend it too you? What other brands did you look at and test.? How did you go about buying this boat?

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:30   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
GreggL,

After research you did choose to go with Hunter. Some of the problems you have had are by the subcontractors like your engine, I am sure it's a Yanmar.sorry to hear of how thy have treated you on other issues, but better more thorough research could have predicted that.

Not sure I ever saw you on here or other sailors forums asking real world experiences on buying different brands boats. How many sailing friends of yours have Hunters? Did they recommend it too you? What other brands did you look at and test.? How did you go about buying this boat?

Dave
Yes the problems lie in the subcontractors realm however when they're not warrantable due to improper installation and hunter does nothing, there's really only one place to look.

I joined here just after I purchased the boat. There were a number of instructors I had at various courses I took who recommended the brand and even size. This was before I started looking.

Friends? Well, I do have some, but none that know what sailing is.

Brands; I looked at jeanneau and beneteau in the same size range. I ultimately chose hunter due to price, layout, and the recommendations that I did get. I also did some chartering in Puerto Rico before settling.

From what I understand my issues here are quite rare to have happen on a new boat. I also hear that hunter was always great with service, etc. that's clearly a thing of the past, looks like I just got the short stick.

Nothing to do now, ill happily relay my opinion though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: