Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2012, 16:02   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Returning a New Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post
I know, shame on me for paying without a survey and inspection. This was my biggest mistake!
I think you are being a bit hard on yourself - but nonetheless you have correctly identified the fundamental reason for your current problems. Not to say that everyone needs a formal survey before accepting delivery - but if "you" don't know what you are looking at you do. Any new boat (whatever the maker) is simply a collection of parts - it is not like buying a TV off the shelf, nor even a new car.

Having said that, you were also probably simply sh#t outta luck on the timing of your purchase - with the company going broke then no money in the pot so customer care going to be first to be cut back on as the time horizon moves from thinking several years ahead (happy punters more likely to be repeat punters) to next week (keeping lights on and groceries on the table).

But could have been worse, you could have paid most of your money and got no boat at the end of it if the music had stopped early........

My advice is to proceed as if Hunter will not be fixing anything, so get a surveyor in and then do the fixes. Document everything and then try and re-claim the cost - but don't hold your breath, or bet on the outcome involving cash coming your way.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 20:29   #77

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Not to hijack the thread but the problem with Hunter not honoring warrantee due to bankruptcy is not the first time. Am I incorrect in saying that Tartan, a previously very reputable company up to tat point reorganized under another name and chose not to honor previous warranties . Companies since the 70s have used this tactic to get out of warranties, union contracts, paying creditors etc. my previous employees, a very well know man with a supposed bad hair comb over did this all the time with his companies.

Push to have them and the subcontractors whose work should still be under warrantee to fix the issues thy created. Good luck.

Dave

chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 06:13   #78

Boat: Hunter E33
Thank you all for the words of wisdom.

I've come to two conclusions; first being that I'm probably going to be on my own with further issues. Secondly that I'd rather pay someone to do work out of pocket and have it done right than let shoddy warranty work go on even if hunter/dealer takes responsibility. This is case and point with a rigging splice that the dealer did during commissioning and was a complete failure. I asked selden to recommend someone in my area and they did great work in no time. Certainly a load off my mind that I can furl my main finally.

This brings me to my next "problem". A little background before; I'm on my first extended cruise. I've done weekend trips and day sails but just completed a sail from New Rochelle, NY to Sag Harbor, Ny. All in all I think I sailed a good 100+ miles in the last few days. Been through weather, crazy currents, dead wind days, etc. all without any major show stopping issues.

But therein lies the problem. I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for something to break. I'm naturally a paranoid worrisome and anxious person, but this makes it much worse. It seems I can't escape the feeling the there is some major problem about to hit. I'm even afraid to unfurl my main out completely due to it not working correctly so many times. I'm afraid to run the engine on dead days because it's failed more than twice. I keep checking this and that all the time, and yes that's good but to an extent. Etc etc... I think you all get the point.

All this to say, what can I do to get some confidence back in my boat? I'm here to stay and will stick through all the warranty and maintenance because I truly think this will bring more pleasure than terror but I can't shake the "something's about to go wrong" feeling alllll the time.
Old 21-08-2012, 06:59   #79

I believe time on the boat will allow the confidence you wish for
Old 21-08-2012, 07:06   #80

Ha...joined the sailing club now. I think you are worrying to much. Owning a boat in a marine environment means things will break , even sometimes new things. I find most sailors we stick with it become very resourceful and mechanically inclined or they pay thousands and wait on some suspect repair persons schedule. Important to find a good marine mechanic, a good rigger, and a reputable general marine systems guy. Also important to learn to do stuff yourself as things break while away from port and you should know how they work and basically how to fix them yourself. It make. Actually eventually give you pride and confidence in yourself that you can handle what happens to your and restore confidence in you and your boat. You have a sound new boat, larger than a lot of keelboats with advanced systems on it like electronics and furling etc.

Enjoying yu boat is paramount as why you bought it. If it break...fix it and move on. It won't stay new forever and things wi ll break. If have a different way of looking at new. Many of my friends have new boats than I do in terms of hull age, but when it comes to upgrades we continually make I have a 3year old Harken furler, new head and hoses, brand new state of the art electronics and radar, etc. when you replace or fix something on your boat it becomes new. Hulls and shapes are sound for years if buy quality.

Enjoy you boat. Makes memories on it. Fix it when it breaks.

Dave
Old 21-08-2012, 07:08   #81

Are you in Sag today? We will be in Greenport in 6 hours for a few days before heading for Block and Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard.

Dave
Old 21-08-2012, 07:57   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

As you fix everything you will gain experience and confidence in your boat.
Old 21-08-2012, 08:18   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
Are you in Sag today? We will be in Greenport in 6 hours for a few days before heading for Block and Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard.

Dave
Yes just arrived. Moving to montauk this weekend.
Old 21-08-2012, 10:35   #84

Maybe we will stop over in Sag. Are you on a mooring or in a slip?
Old 21-08-2012, 15:03   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
Maybe we will stop over in Sag. Are you on a mooring or in a slip?
I'm in a slip but won't be back on the water till Thursday when we hopefully set off for montauk.
Old 21-08-2012, 15:25   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All your research pointed toward the Hunter??

We had a Hunter 40 something launched at our marina a few years ago. It leaked like a sieve and had to be hauled back out.. Seems someone forgot to not only tighten the keel bolts, but some didn't even have nuts, and there was no type of joint sealer whatsoever.

sorry to hear of your issues, BUT I'm not at all surprised...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:58   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
All your research pointed toward the Hunter??

We had a Hunter 40 something launched at our marina a few years ago. It leaked like a sieve and had to be hauled back out.. Seems someone forgot to not only tighten the keel bolts, but some didn't even have nuts, and there was no type of joint sealer whatsoever.

sorry to hear of your issues, BUT I'm not at all surprised...
It was a combination of a lot of factors. Mostly budget, interior layout, ease of sailing and a few others.

I looked at production models predominantly and the hunter stuck out the most in all areas of concern for me.

Models in the range I was considering were the beneteau 31 and 34, jeanneau 33 and Catalina 32. All were significantly more expensive and didn't prove to be of higher quality or design in the factors that were most important to me and my cruising mission, which is mostly long island sound.
Old 21-08-2012, 16:00   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL

It was a combination of a lot of factors. Mostly budget, interior layout, ease of sailing and a few others.

I looked at production models predominantly and the hunter stuck out the most in all areas of concern for me.

Models in the range I was considering were the beneteau 31 and 34, jeanneau 33 and Catalina 32. All were significantly more expensive and didn't prove to be of higher quality or design in the factors that were most important to me and my cruising mission, which is mostly long island sound.
Oh and just a side note, next time around I'm staying away from this brand.
Old 21-08-2012, 16:17   #89

Well it sounds like you're over the hump, so to speak. I have a few suggestions now :

1) Look for the name of a well-respected rigger in your area, and get him to check the rig thoroughly. As well as checking for safety issues, he/she may be able to suggest some improvements. After sailing a hundred miles is there anything you think should work more smoothly?

2) Do the same for a surveyor.

3) Get Boat US towing insurance. Then you don't have to worry so much if the engine will start.

I think you may need to re-adjust your expectations. Getting a cruising sailboat to work to your satisfaction is an iterative process, even with (or especially with) a new one. It has taken 18 months to get my 1984 to really work as I want it to.
Old 21-08-2012, 16:18   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

We also found the Hunter company totally useless even two years prior to bankruptsy. They never responded even once to any of our inquiries regarding our previous boat a Hunter 450. The keel came loose, other minor issues; we were left to hunt down parts and do all the repairs ourselves, along with the prior owners. Today, the boat is in better shape for the new owners than it ever was for us when we first bought it. Hunter did absolutely nothing to help us.

In my opinion... The Hunter company got what they deserved.... Bankruptsy.

Make all the repairs, get the boat safe.... Then dump it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: