Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2014, 07:17   #1

Rest of the Year?

Have folks found affordable ways to cruise half the year and live ashore the other half. Right now we rent a year-round home in North Carolina and cruise October to May. This is complicated and expensive. Better ideas anyone?

Old 19-04-2014, 08:41   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Rest of the year?

You're asking for a more affordable way to do something expensive. I can only think to find a cheaper apartment or find one that will rent for six months and then move your stuff to storage for the sailing season.

There must be a strong reason that you don't want to liveaboard all year.

Old 19-04-2014, 09:11   #3

Boat: Niagara 35
I've consisted buying a place in a ski town. It could be rented out as a vacation rental with a manager in the winter and I could live in it in the summer.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Buy an inexpensive condo and rent it for the time your out cruising.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Class C motorhomes are available for $3-5k with 35-70k miles on them. That's an option, although they may be just as much work as a boat!... and then there's the storage....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Vuvid -- I guess i do not understand the question. If I understand it correctly you got rid of house and everything and moved aboard for 6 months and then you decided that you want to spend 6 months on dirt.

Out question is why? We got rid of everything and moved aboard and have not been off the boat for 7 years. Yea we park it for either hurricane season or winter depending where we are on in the western caribbean we sailed year round. We do go visit the kids for 3 weeks each year but the rest of the time we live on the boat. It is a lot cheaper than putting the boat on the hard and then flying to dirt and back and all that is associated with that like renting someting and of course you are paying to store the boat.

Why can't you? I guess I don't understand.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some people get bored after 6 months in a confined space!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:03   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

We cruise Mexico in the winter, and live in a 5th wheel in the summer. Too hot in Mexico to stay for the summer. We could live on the boat full time, but we choose to go back to land during the summer. For us it is about family. Most of the cruisers I know are snow birds and put their boat on the hard in the summer.
Just what works for us.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Some people get bored after 6 months in a confined space!

Bored?? i don't understand your comment!

We do spend about 3 weeks visiting the kids. They have to work and we want to go and see and feel and experience.

When we were in the western Caribbean we sailed the San Blas Island and went over to Cartagena and up to Portobelo and a visit to Panama City.

In the Eastern Caribbean we were in Trinidad for hurricane season and beside the weekly potlucks, we traveled all over Trini from eating our way around the island, to turtle watching, to the pan bands to other things on Trini that Jesse James arranges. Even some over night sails to the out islands for a few days.

In Tunisia for the winter last year we drove over 4k km and only saw 2/3 of Tunisia. We went to winter desert festival that is sold out each year, to Luke Skywalkers house, to Roman ruins, to hotels built into the side of a mountain to a whole lot more.

Next year we will see the rest of Tunisia and if we work the days properly will spend a few weeks in Europe.

Of course we spend a bit of time planning for the next sailing season.

So please explain your bored comment.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51   #10
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

I get bored. 6 months is about my limit. My wife could probably go on forever. We tried full time cruising for a few years and it all started to seem aimless. Beer, books, swimming, a little sailing, on and on. Life on land is not so bad when you have lots of projects and a boat to go back to.
We don't do it but renting out the house for 6 months would be easy where we live. Keeping the house up while we are gone is a big concern though.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52   #11

The big issue I see is keeping all the household stuff (mostly furnature). If you need to keep all that, it becomes a pain.

We've used a few options:
- Switch to the 5th wheel.
- Get a 6 month lease on an apartment. A small 1 bedroom seems spacious after 6 months on the boat. We just kept furnature to a minimum (stole the chairs out of the RV and otherwise think dorm room style). Even with a small surcharge for the 6month lease, it was still drastically cheaper than a 12 month lease.
- I assume you need to stay in the area for a job or other reason? Otherwise, why not head south in the boat?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:58   #12
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Rest of the Year?

If you're near a vacation or tourist area you may be able to rent your house out by the week, month, etc. I have a friend who does this each summer and lives on her boat (without moving it, it's at a marina).

Your best bet is finding a property management company who will find renters, collect the money and clean and maintain the home.

Select a closet or room for your personal stuff and put a lock on it.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We've pretty much been on the chuckr plan for 42 years. Sometimes we leave the boat some place and head to windward on a 747. We stay at a dock next to our children's boats at times. We try to keep the dance card full!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I get bored. 6 months is about my limit. My wife could probably go on forever. We tried full time cruising for a few years and it all started to seem aimless. Beer, books, swimming, a little sailing, on and on. Life on land is not so bad when you have lots of projects and a boat to go back to.
We don't do it but renting out the house for 6 months would be easy where we live. Keeping the house up while we are gone is a big concern though.
Yeah, sometimes a break get's you refreshed, otherwise one palm tree, bus ride, third world restaurant, pot luck on the beach, snorkeling trip etc starts to look just like the last one!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:10   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go the Airstream way. Sorta same thing like a boat only different expanses to explore.

b.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: