Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 22:20   #1

Refrigeration Tech

I’m working on my plan to live off a boat in the Caribbean in the next few years. I'm a refrigeration tech with years of experience. Would that be a good way to sail and survive?
Mwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 22:44   #2

Boat: Transpac 49
Re: Refrigeration Tech

Not sure about in the Caribbean, but many countries have strict working visa arrangements. In Oz, you'd also need to be licenced by a Govt Authority for handling refrigerants...do lots of research, ask locals and proceed with utmost caution.
Old 26-05-2019, 23:38   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Don't go by Australia, they think the same as Europeans. And even there I have run into quite a few guys working under the table. He is right about refrigerant gases being hard to get but there a still a few that will sell you a bottle for spare. Everywhere else in the world you can buy R134-A at the local garage.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 04:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mwoody.

It can be difficult to make money, when cruising, but refrigeration & electrical are probably the 2 trades most in demand, by other cruisers (you best, safest customers).

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 06:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Refrigeration Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Not sure about in the Caribbean, but many countries have strict working visa arrangements. In Oz, you'd also need to be licenced by a Govt Authority for handling refrigerants...do lots of research, ask locals and proceed with utmost caution.

This is your issue, and in truth I don’t think you could make nearly enough to survive, at best beer money etc.
I was astonished this year in Georgetown in the Bahamas listening to the net every morning. What astonished me was two fold, the complete non understanding of Cruisers for mechanical things, and the complete lack of any kind of maintenance support in Georgetown, where it seemed there were 200+ boats always in the anchorage.

One would think that as the need was there, that there would be several people and businesses there to support them, but there weren’t, I can’t imagine why.

Other than worrying about being caught by the Bahamian authorities, which I think unlikely as long as you don’t get too obvious, is that there are almost no supplies available, everything has to be flown in and by the time shipping and duties are paid it’s about three times as expensive as it is in Fl where it’s shipped from.
So you would need to bring almost everything with you, maybe of course leave the high dollar seldom used parts to be shipped to you.

Your services would have to be spread by word of mouth, which would happen pretty quickly.
However it seems that most Cruisers just help each other out, so you would need to be sure right up front they know that you expect to be paid.

What seemed to be in the most demand was someone with knowledge of DC electrical systems, specifically battery banks. Seemed every morning someone wanted to borrow a “battery tester” to see if their batteries were dead, cause they were near dead every morning when they got up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 08:39   #6

I also have exstensive experience in both high and low voltage electrical systems, plumbing and diesel as well as gas motors. I will definatly do some research. Thanks!
Mwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 09:24   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Years ago bringing Bonaventure back to the states we stayed in Georgetown.
I had just sold my company Seatek and planned on making some money on the return trip so I brought Freon, and other parts with me. I let it be known that I was available to do repairs. Within 3 days I was covered up with work. It lasted about two weeks as when I went to the little auto parts store the owner took me aside and told me I was becoming to high profile and I should think about quitting working on boats or move on.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 09:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
................ was becoming to high profile and I should think about quitting working on boats or move on.
This is going to be the issue. Imagine if a foreigner rolls into your hometown and begins taking all the work the locals have been making a living doing.

You're taking the money the locals have been earning. You're not paying taxes to the local government.

People notice this stuff quickly.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 11:02   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

At that time early 90's there was no one local to do the work. I understand and would not have done it if a local was available.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 11:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
1. You're taking the money the locals have been earning. 2. You're not paying taxes to the local government.
3. People notice this stuff quickly.
1. Indeed - or not.
2. Nether do Bahamians - no income tax.
3. Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 11:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
At that time early 90's there was no one local to do the work. I understand and would not have done it if a local was available.

I don’t think in Georgetown there is anyone still to do the work.
I can’t figure it out, a nearly permeant residence of 200ish bots at least during the Winter season, and nearly zero available boat parts or mechanics etc.
It would seem it someone opened a West Marine type of store, they would make a killing.
Yes there is one store that supposedly has parts, but they are odd parts and have been there forever, it’s like they got a store that had gone out of business and inherited all the odd ball stuff that never sold.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 17:45   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Is all marine refrigeration equipment still R-134a or antiquated R-12?

A reefer tech might need to carry multiple sets of equipment, rashly assuming rules similar to the US where you need a complete set (gas tank, recovery tank, gauges, etc.) for each gas type that you'l be working with. Then, possible complications of carrying gasses across borders. Then, quite obviously, "EPA" equivalent licensing in EACH country that the OP plans to work in. As well as a work permit to work there.

Trying to do this under the radar could be quite risky depending on local enforcement.

Carrying just dry nitrogen and just doing diagnostics or "teaching" people how to troubleshoot and repair might be feasible. Working as a reefer tech...not so much unless you're planning to stay in one place for a while and do all the paperwork.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:43   #13

Question ?not answer....can I find a plunger type compressor that would be adaptable to foot or wave activated cooling?
R Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration