Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 20:15   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Refit WA State

Can anyone comment on refitting a sailboat in WA state vs Florida? We're prices comparable and supply as good? Thanks for your input.
Old 17-02-2017, 20:28   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Refit WA State

Just re-rigged in WA with Northwest Rigging and Marine outfitting (hope the plug is ok?) out of Anacortes. Great experience, great guys, great service. If you're a non resident you can request to have the sales tax (doesn't apply to labor) removed from your bill as a bonus. I will say my experience with the yard in Blaine was not to the same level and I was blatantly exploited for the fact they will never see me again. Also with most marine businesses being in Anacortes, Bellingham and Seattle you'll pay for them to make trips to outlying areas. Prices even with the exchange (Canadia boat) were far less than BC. Plus if you're needing any custom forge work Port Townsend Foundry isn't too far off and IMO some of the best fixed and folding props are made just across the border in Victoria BC. Lots of good options available for diesel work and parts as well.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 20:47   #3

Thanks for the comments. I was wondering about Blaine.
Old 17-02-2017, 22:43   #4

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I also had good experience with Northwest rigging.
Old 20-02-2017, 08:42   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

In defense of Blaine - we have had a wonderful experience with the local guy - Walsh Marine.

He has a marine railway big enough to haul us, as well as the normal Travel Lift. He took our poor old boat that hadn't been hauled for 4 years prior to our purchase and took the bottom down to original, faired it, epoxy and well, we now have a beautiful bottom. He let us work on it there as well. Then he designed and fabricated a custom anchor keep and chain guide. His bill was more than satisfactory to us - he even didn't bill for some of his own time.

It's not a fancy yard, he's not a fancy guy. His work was flawless and we were/are more than satisfied.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:54   #6

Thank you for the comments. Good to hear. Just need to get some canvas work (new dodger) maybe an arch for solar, dingy davits etc and other odds and ends.
Old 20-02-2017, 18:48   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
In defense of Blaine - we have had a wonderful experience with the local guy - Walsh Marine.

He has a marine railway big enough to haul us, as well as the normal Travel Lift. He took our poor old boat that hadn't been hauled for 4 years prior to our purchase and took the bottom down to original, faired it, epoxy and well, we now have a beautiful bottom. He let us work on it there as well. Then he designed and fabricated a custom anchor keep and chain guide. His bill was more than satisfactory to us - he even didn't bill for some of his own time.

It's not a fancy yard, he's not a fancy guy. His work was flawless and we were/are more than satisfied.
Same yard. Was told to me after the fact that most just make the trip down to Anacortes to get work done. However it has changed hands recently again second hand.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 21:23   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Can anyone comment on refitting a sailboat in WA state vs Florida? We're prices comparable and supply as good? Thanks for your input.
It's the same country and same currency The differences in being able to source parts is nominal - think FedX, US Post. The difference between labor costs and skills between the Puget Sound and say Ft Lauderdale isn't going to be significant. The difference between different local company's skills and prices will be larger. So it comes down to where you want the boat to be.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:41   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Thank you for the comments. Good to hear. Just need to get some canvas work (new dodger) maybe an arch for solar, dingy davits etc and other odds and ends.
Canvas work is scarce in Blaine. Nearest good work is in Bellingham. I think Anacortes might be what you're looking for. There is just so much more competition the quality is good and the price is down. Good luck to you!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:50   #10

If you are talking parts availability then either is fine. Finding a good spot, reasonably priced and without hinderances like closed hours etc to do so is likely more important. You are doing your own work?
For arches, if you are going aluminum, then Florida is far better as they do so many down there for the powerboaters.
How much of a refit are you doing? Schautthauer Sails in Seattle or Port Townsend/Hasse sails make exquisite dodgers, albeit not cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:13   #11

Will be doing allot myself with exception to dodger and potentially arch. Need solar installed etc. if I can get away with securing to top of dodger and Bimini then may cancel the arch as they can be really pricey. Refit costs @20-25k.
Old 21-02-2017, 12:16   #12

Most of my issue is time. Living in WA doesn't allow allot of hours to work on boat in FL. Shipping it to anacortes is an option. But things are looking about the same.
Old 21-02-2017, 12:32   #13

Yes, shipping Fl to WA is big money now days. I looked into shipping a 32 trawler up in 2010. I think it was $11k then. I tried to refit that boat on a few trips to FL, but it was difficult for sure. Not sure anymore how good the Anacortes yards are at letting you do your own extensive work anymore, be sure to enquire closely. I know someone who was going to refit an old Spencer 35 out at Skyline, I think he said they would let him do most anything. Do you plan to sail up here or down in FL/Caribe? Depends on what is on your refit list... you could get a lot done for $15k in shipping. I have shipped west coast twice, both times there was damage, once to the mast, once to the topsides.

Old 21-02-2017, 12:48   #14

Yes indeed. I found a shipper who goes to Anacortes couple times a month and can ship @$16K. Its the pilot cars that drive the price up due to the 14.1' beam. Without pilot cars it was $12K. I plan to sail both. So I am ok with it being in FL. I just wish I could pop down and work on it on the weekends here. Always a trade off I guess. Your right you can do allot of refit for $15k and that's the primary reason for leaving it in FL. The weather and water are a definite bonus. I also love the San Juans, Desolation sound etc. We will be teaching a few years with the boat FL to USVI so that works out and then sail her around to the PNW and do WA BC and HI.
Old 21-02-2017, 13:00   #15

If you decide to hire some work done, I would be there when they commence work, set your expectations etc. I had a well known yard in FL do some for me while it was stored. They really screwed things up. Very disappointed when I got back to FL to launch. Basically the yard manager gave the job to the new guy/ex burger flipper to do. The manager was not even aware of what it looked like when done when I approached him about it!

Tags
refit