Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 21:37   #91

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Quit your job and live on a boat in the Caribbean

TP12, my bike is a highly modified Hayabusa. I have carbon fiber BST wheels, full race rear strut and reported and resprung forward tubes. I am not a proracer. But I am fairly skilled at track venues and am class A. I also have a Suzuki full on race 750. Which is much better suited to laying it over. Dragging knees is no problem and there are times when you get the correct geometry in a corner that the bike is literally that far over. Sorry no pictures mate...I am too fast for the camera...smile.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 21:41   #92

OOppss. forgot the full race titanium single sided pipe...Knocked off over 60 lbs. And I want to say carbon wheels are the best mod you can ever make. The gyroscopic effect is tamed. The Hayabusa is not a great track bike...too much grunt and too much weight to slide and flip around. But the Suzuki 750 is much better handling bike but I miss that crack when you pop it out of a corner.
Old 08-04-2015, 21:50   #93

TP12 how do I put pictures on the forum. I only have some pictures of the bikes. But glad to share with you mate. I can tell you love bikes also.
Old 08-04-2015, 21:53   #94
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
TP12 how do I put pictures on the forum. I only have some pictures of the bikes. But glad to share with you mate. I can tell you love bikes also.
Start another thread in the general forum, so we stop this hijack, and you'll have the option to add attachments.

I'm quite keen to see pics. I'm a racer and former CSS coach.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 00:07   #95

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Dear Muckle,

This is what you may have read but this is not what I wrote. Let me expand on my view.

I said dropouts, misfits, retirees, rentiers. Yes. I stick with this. Major (not only) groups of liveaboards. This is how I see it where I am (Las Palmas). This is how I saw it too in Auckland, Papeete, Numea and Richards Bay (to name a few).

If you find this 'devaluing' (your wording, not mine) then that's that for you.

I do not see dropouts not misfits as 'devalued' (whatever this could mean). Many of my friends are dropouts and misfits and, in fact, it would be correct to say the same about me and my crew, much as we are what we are because that's what we elected to be.

Not everyone has to be what the society asks them to be and this fact does not make such a person less valuable. In fact, as we know from arts, history and science, many misfits and dropout created extra value that actually enriched the society that rejected them (or which let them slip away).

Just look at creativity and input from gay people. Many societies found/find them misfit and many gay people, for social reasons, in social terms, dropped out.

Now do you see such people as of less value?

I do not. I look at what they do and how they do it and I find them as valuable as any other person in the society that rejects them.

So, as you can see, using words 'misfit' and 'dropout' as devaluing is one vision, but not the only, nor the better one.

Unless you want to tell me some visions are better than others. To which I would actually disagree ;-)

I am afraid we have bored the public to death.

I buy you a drink now. Peace?

Love,
b.
Well there never was not peace. And if the "public" are bored then let them be: I wasn't aware the purpose of a discussion on the nature of a whole class of persons was chiefly to entertain. I accept your version more or less now, though it seems to me quite a ground shift and a bit of a fast manuever to take what are unequivocally pejorative terms and then attempt to claim surprise when someone perceives them in exactly their normal sense, while presenting an entirely novel and generally opposite sense with surprise as if I should have taken that one quite obviously first, at the same time suggesting that in fact it is I who considered such people to be of "less value". Not accepting that rhetorical sleight of hand I am afraid, especially as you yourself acknowledge such terms as "bitter" in a previous reply to me. A drink I would accept, of course and would offer one in return. Particularly as it seems that after a couple of semantic backfilps, we now agree.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:00   #96
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I don't see any backflips. I think Barni set his sails, sailed his course and just had to explain some finer points of his trim methodology, very eloquently I might add. Im still looking forward to buying him some white porto port when our paths cross after his excellent advise in all things canary and Atlantic weather! Thanks again Nick
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:48   #97

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I don't see any backflips. I think Barni set his sails, sailed his course and just had to explain some finer points of his trim methodology, very eloquently I might add. Im still looking forward to buying him some white porto port when our paths cross after his excellent advise in all things canary and Atlantic weather! Thanks again Nick
+1

I feel we are lost in translation here Muckle. You seem to want to find offence where none is given or intended. You appear insistent on attaching negative connotation to the terms "dropouts, misfits, etc." Perhaps in your vernacular it does have these harsh meanings, but not so for me or for (I believe) the vast majority of readers here.

I see no change in barnakiel's perspective. But thanks for the discussion. Always fun...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Start another thread in the general forum, so we stop this hijack, and you'll have the option to add attachments.

I'm quite keen to see pics. I'm a racer and former CSS coach.
I think you may find more old Road Racers than you might think if you did.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29   #99

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
+1

I feel we are lost in translation here Muckle. You seem to want to find offence where none is given or intended. You appear insistent on attaching negative connotation to the terms "dropouts, misfits, etc." Perhaps in your vernacular it does have these harsh meanings, but not so for me or for (I believe) the vast majority of readers here.

I see no change in barnakiel's perspective. But thanks for the discussion. Always fun...
Perhaps it was indeed a language issue. I am sorry if I upset any in looking for clarity on that. In any case, the horse is well dead now. Peace all.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:42   #100
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
With respect and humor - I would disagree with that assessment - a significant percentage of the active cruisers "out there" that I have encountered have been "nutty" in one or more ways. Just leaving the comparative safety and security of life on land to venture across expanses of ocean, etc. would - IMHO - probably be considered by some as being a bit "nutty."

Then again, in my "world," I gravitate to those who are "not-normal" or "yuck" - average. I find the nutty ones much more exciting and interesting. One of my motto's is "Weird is wonderful." And if nothing else they are not boring. These folks have got some serious interesting yarns and stories.
You're gravitating towards the wrong cruisers. Nothing nutty about the
ones we hang with. Very normal, hard working, self-reliant folks.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:16   #101

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You're gravitating towards the wrong cruisers. Nothing nutty about the ones we hang with. Very normal, hard working, self-reliant folks.
And that is one of the things about the cruising world - you can be whatever you want to be and there are plenty of cruisers who are "nutty, weird, whatever" if that is your thing - - - and there are plenty of "very normal, hard working, . . . " people also out there too. They can be whatever they want to be and you can be whatever you want to be without some 3rd party dictating what "everybody" must be.

As Jimmy Buffet once said/sang - out there is that "one particular harbor" that is "yours" to enjoy and explore
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 00:56   #102

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn4adv View Post
Thank you guys!

The type of boat I would need for the 2 of us plus occasional friends, would be a Lagoon 380, owner's version.

Regarding the financial situation, we have saved about $700K which at the moment return me an average of 6% a year. We don't have debts, other then the house mortgage. But we could easily rent out the house to cover for mortgage.

I was thinking if we buy a Lagoon 380 for about 200/250 cash, and we could live on with 12K a year, we could spend the next 20 years cruising and still have 200K for emergencies and unpredictable expenses.

I forgot to mention, that if I had to, I could probably make $1,000 a month by working remotely for a couple of hours a day as a freelancer, provided that I have a reliable internet connection. Same for my wife.

Would that be enough to take this leap of faith, quite our job and set sails?
Geeez...what are you waiting for. I'm doing it on a lot less than that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:43   #103
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think you may find more old Road Racers than you might think if you did.
Do we all get put out to pasture on the ocean

I might just do that...
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:37   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Talking of the Lagoon 38 owners version - check out the postings on You Tube of the same boat called 'Honeymoon'. It might give you an insight on living / sailing on this boat.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 17:16   #105

Boat: a sailing boat

You should have zero problem finding the right boat and then staying out of the system at this budget level.

Going out can be a great refresher and you WILL start to see some things in a new light. New horizons, new angles ... you will not be bored.

What I personally like best about that decision made over a decade ago is not that I discovered anything new but that I found what was actually wrong with the lifestyle (nine to five) that I/we left behind.

Maybe not the enlightenment that life coaching gurus promise, still, well worth the ride.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib