Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 22:22   #1

Putting a boat into charter in Thailand?

With a global company like sunsail, etc.

Is it a crazy idea along the lines of - "how to make a small fortune in Thailand? Start with a large fortune."

While investigating areas to possibly put a boat into charter, Thailand and the whitsundays are my preferred two options. Thailand would be ideal but the possible hassles of a different country doesn't sound appealing and also finance would be difficult. Finance would be based in euro which is not ideal as it is a currency bet also.

The whitsundays would be easier to organise, but is a little cold in winter for my likeing.

Tax advantages in Australia are handy but boat purchase would be cheaper in Thailand.

Maintenance would likely be more professional in Australia but that's just based on a generalisation between the countries. Likely cheaper in Thailand.

I can get to both places to use the boat no problem. Perhaps it would be easier to get friends & family to join me in the whitsundays as I am a single guy.

Massages and food is better in Thailand.

Am I crazy to consider Thailand?
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 22:44   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Putting a boat into charter in Thailand?

As an investor I would simply look at the seasonal numbers Sunsail can provide and compare to Whitsunday.

Phuket (specifically boat lagoon) has now developed good boat maintenance logistics , equipment and staff training.

As a user/charterer one way trips between Phuket and Langkawi have become popular and I think more interesting than the Whits.

SE Asia is growing in popularity but I think the actual charter numbers would be my deciding factor.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 22:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Having sailed, traveled and stayed extensively in the Whitsundays and stayed and traveled in Thailand and given that you are single I'd say that Thailand cound make a lot of sense from an emotional perspective.

People there are way friendlier.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

The things I'd consider are what will you do at the end of the contract? And if you plan to sell it, where will it be easier to sell?

Also keep in mind that (assuming standard sunsail contract) that you can use other boats. So the location you keep it in and where you sail doesn't need to be the same. There's no benefit to using your actual boat.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Moonos, if you can tell me this, you're not crazy.

Who charters boats of your kind in Thailand?
i.e., Japanese tourists? German tourists? Aussies?
And are they usually singles, couples, multiple couples?

Do you know who the market there is, and what they're buying now?
Or is this all on spec?

How stable is the baht:Oz$ currency ration over the years?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:16   #6

At the end of the contract I'd like to keep it myself to sail. I think I would be best to stay in Australia for the term of the contract, then sail to asia when it is finished.

I'm not sure of the future stability of laws and requirements as in the past things have changed on a whim from the government in Thailand.

Most of this is on spec, more about lifestyle than actual return. Also, how will my boat be treated.

AUD > THB is pretty stable historically.

There seems a huge difference in insurance excess between Thailand and Australia. Considering boats and labour are cheaper in Thailand this makes me wonder how many claims they have. Probably not surprising considering the poorer quality nav markers and lights over there. I get the feeling that a Thai chartered boat would have a harder life, not sure if I know the different demographics between them, but I can guess about a large chunk of Thailand charterers.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Thailand