Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2011, 15:09   #1

Boat: ODay 23
Purchasing a 1978 Hunter 30

alright I don't know what I'm doing. Never bought a boat before. She is in the water price is good. I don't know what the process is to go from here. My look see went well. I know I need a surveyor. Any thoughts on the process I would appreciate as well as any info on the 1978 Hunter 30. Thank you
Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 15:18   #2

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers
Re: purchasing? a 1978 Hunter 30

Usually goes like this.

Make an offer contingent on survey.
Make good faith deposit.
Have survey done.
Seller fixes items that need attention or you renegotiate price, or you walk away from the deal (lose deposit maybe).
If all goes well... close the deal and sail away.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 16:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Due dilligence...

I'd suggest thinking a little more about your purchase before jumping in.

First, a warning: At least one member of this Forum has complained that open discussion of a boat he was about to purchase has led to another buyer buying the boat. Do not disclose details if you love this boat and really want it.

Boats are easy to buy and hard to sell. If price is not a serious concern then this may not matter, but if you want to minimize the cost then taking a long and careful look at what's available and being careful to make initial offers under the current market may be advisable.

Have a careful think about what you want to use this boat for. How many people will be on board and where do you want it to go? Is it for cruising or racing, daysailing, overnighters or extended cruising? Will this boat suit?

Next, the condition of the boat. Do you have experience of mechanical and fibreglass repairs? If not (and even if you do have) have you enough money in reserve to (for instance) replace the engine or rigging. With a boat this old, unless it has been recently repowered, it may be necessary to fit a new engine. An older engine may not be a good candidate for overhaul.

Have you done a budget including mooring, slipping, maintenance, upgrades, insurance and the 1001 other costs that continually beset the boat owner?

With your surveyor I'd recommend asking his opinion if it is suitable for your intended purpose. Don't use a surveyor connected with yours or any other broker or marina. If you ask on this Forum some of our members may be able to suggest a surveyor that they have had a good experience with.

Don Casey's book: "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" has received good reviews, though I have not read it myself. For less than 20 bucks it must be cheap insurance.

Speaking of insurance, have you spoken to any insurance companies. There have been reports of older boats being difficult to insure. There has been discussion in this Forum on this topic.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 16:40   #4

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers
Re: Due dilligence...

Solid advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'd suggest thinking a little more about your purchase before jumping in.

First, a warning: At least one member of this Forum has complained that open discussion of a boat he was about to purchase has led to another buyer buying the boat. Do not disclose details if you love this boat and really want it.

Boats are easy to buy and hard to sell. If price is not a serious concern then this may not matter, but if you want to minimize the cost then taking a long and careful look at what's available and being careful to make initial offers under the current market may be advisable.

Have a careful think about what you want to use this boat for. How many people will be on board and where do you want it to go? Is it for cruising or racing, daysailing, overnighters or extended cruising? Will this boat suit?

Next, the condition of the boat. Do you have experience of mechanical and fibreglass repairs? If not (and even if you do have) have you enough money in reserve to (for instance) replace the engine or rigging. With a boat this old, unless it has been recently repowered, it may be necessary to fit a new engine. An older engine may not be a good candidate for overhaul.

Have you done a budget including mooring, slipping, maintenance, upgrades, insurance and the 1001 other costs that continually beset the boat owner?

With your surveyor I'd recommend asking his opinion if it is suitable for your intended purpose. Don't use a surveyor connected with yours or any other broker or marina. If you ask on this Forum some of our members may be able to suggest a surveyor that they have had a good experience with.

Don Casey's book: "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" has received good reviews, though I have not read it myself. For less than 20 bucks it must be cheap insurance.

Speaking of insurance, have you spoken to any insurance companies. There have been reports of older boats being difficult to insure. There has been discussion in this Forum on this topic.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 11:51   #5

Boat: Bristol 34
Re: Purchasing a 1978 Hunter 30

That boat, that year.....don't do it.

There is a reason why "the price is right"

Not to denigrate any builders but 70s era Hunters.....junk

Keep looking, there are better deals out there.
totemthepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 12:06   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

The boat has been around since 78 if it is so bad why is it still floating? Having owned 2 of them they are fine boats for coastal use.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 12:45   #7

Boat: Beneteau 473

I owned a 1978 Hunter 30. These Hunters were designed by John Cheribini. They were built pretty well. Mine was great. Sailed well and was perfect for my family when my two sons were smaller. As with all boats of that age, much depends on how it has been maintained. Don't let folks talk you out of anything just because it is a particular brand of boat. There is much info on the net about this boat. Hunterowners.com, Hunter30.org just to name a couple. Research, research, research, and then get a good surveyor. If you would like to talk specifics about my experience as an owner, feel free to PM. Goo Luck.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, purchasing