Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-09-2016, 04:02   #1

Pump out stations - is there an app to find them?

How do you find pump out stations without calling several marinas at random? Is there an app? I'm a recent live aboard sailor, doing this on a shoestring budget. We anchor out, marinas are too expensive for us, and not all marinas have on site stations. We could practice Google Fu and call all over, but that takes up a lot of data and that's limited, too. Suggestions?

Also, I totally understand that outside the three mile limit, we can dump in the sea, and that will be an option as well, as soon as we figure out how. As I said, recent liveaboards. Very recent. As of today, we can celebrate our first week.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 08-09-2016, 04:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Pump out stations - is there an app to find them?

Hi Hipcatticus. Welcome to the forum and welcome to liveaboard life.

You don't mention location but from the context of your question I'm assuming somewhere in the USA. One great thing about this forum is that it is international and has members from all over the world but that being the case it helps to answer some questions to know the location of the member as many questions the answer will depend on the country or region you're located in.

In the USA the info is available online at a least two web sites, possibly more. Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts and www.activecaptain.com both list marinas and facilities they have including pumpouts. This will use data so if you want to minimize that you can buy one of the guidebooks that also lists the same information.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:21   #3

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hipcatticus.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Take any list of pump-out stations with a grain of salt.

Remember, the agency that's pushing for a no-discharge declaration has to prove that there are sufficient pump-out facilities in the area. At that time, they are highly motivated to pay to install pump-out equipment.

Once the declaration is made, there's no motivation to pay for maintenance of that equipment.

Many of the marinas and other locations where pump-out stations were installed have no motivation to pay staff to perform pump-outs, or to maintain them. They're often installed in the worst spot in the marina; that slip they can't rent because it's too shallow, or too difficult to dock at.

The result (at least in our area) is that very few of the listed pump-out stations are available, operational and staffed at any given time.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:33   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was astonished to find out it Key West Pump outs ranged from free to $25 or so and were not all that available, or so it seemed.
Contrast that to further up North but still in FL where they are all free and some are self service.

I have found you still have to call and verify
Old 08-09-2016, 06:48   #7

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was astonished to find out it Key West Pump outs ranged from free to $25 or so and were not all that available, or so it seemed.
Contrast that to further up North but still in FL where they are all free and some are self service.

Around here, subsidized pump-out stations can charge no more than $5.

But un-subsidized pump-out stations -- like the one in our marina, bought and paid for by the marina itself -- can (and mostly must) charge whatever it takes to afford being able to subsequently get THEIR holding tank pumped out afterwards. A couple years ago, the local honey-wagon upped their rates by something like 400%... so of course our cost went up accordingly, too.

Just the breaks. Another (subsidized) marina in our small Bay only charges $5 , but it's useful in our case to mostly support our local merchants (i.e., our own marina), and it'd be sort of a pain to go over to the other place for various minor reasons.

For OP, ActiveCaptain is the app. Might be others, but you'd also benefit from AC for other reasons, anyway.

-Chris
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55   #8

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Just do what the city of St. Petersburg does, dump it into your local bay!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:30   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Any printed list of pumpout stations would be obsolete before it hit the streets. As a couple people posted above, having a pumpout station and having a working pumpout station are two different things.

If you find one, it might be free if it's owned by the government or it could be $20 or more if it's private. And this would not be the time to not leave a tip so figure an additional $5 or $10 on top of the fee.

As for an app?, I can't answer that but it would be great if someone would create and maintain one.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47   #10
Liveaboard Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Take any list of pump-out stations with a grain of salt.

Remember, the agency that's pushing for a no-discharge declaration has to prove that there are sufficient pump-out facilities in the area. At that time, they are highly motivated to pay to install pump-out equipment.

Once the declaration is made, there's no motivation to pay for maintenance of that equipment.

Many of the marinas and other locations where pump-out stations were installed have no motivation to pay staff to perform pump-outs, or to maintain them. They're often installed in the worst spot in the marina; that slip they can't rent because it's too shallow, or too difficult to dock at.

The result (at least in our area) is that very few of the listed pump-out stations are available, operational and staffed at any given time.

Boy ain't that the truth.
The "official list" of pump out stations in Morro Bay is 7.
The real world reality is 3. One at a damn near inaccessible pier, one at the Morro Bay Yacht Club that they almost keep hidden from the riff-raff general public, and then one at the main public landing dock. But if you asked the Harbor Department they would list all 7 and I'm sure that's what they report to the Regulatory Government Agencies.

SV THIRD DAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:03   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182

Here in the Seattle area of the pnw they are everywhere every city dock has a free self serve unit and most are properly maintained ( IME ). There is even a company that is mobile and will bring a pump out boat to you for a fee. ( don't know the cost ) . So it all depends on where you are at.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:34   #12

Boat: Victoire 1122

In The Netherlands, every yacht harbour has a pump out station. So no app or anything like that needed.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:05   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
In The Netherlands, every yacht harbour has a pump out station. So no app or anything like that needed.
Indeed, but I've never seen a pumpout station being used in the Netherlands. Does anyone in fact use them?
Old 08-09-2016, 10:19   #14

Boat: Hunter 34

Use ActiveCaptain.com. Lots of info on there including pump out stations. US Bahamas, and Caribbean. Have not tried it anywhere else.

Or do like I did and get a composting toilet. Then you don't have to worry about it and can get rid of that smelly holding tank.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:30   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed, but I've never seen a pumpout station being used in the Netherlands. Does anyone in fact use them?

Wow never thought that til now, I guess all those canal boats I saw when I was there direct discharge?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: