Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 14:07   #31

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Re: Pump out stations - is there an app to find them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I'm another.

I've emailed with Jeff about filtering -- I'd like to be able to filter on marinas with swimming pools, for instance -- but he prefers to let the follow-on integrators do the filtering. Like any app or machine or software that incorporates AC data. (Think I've accurately said what he means.)

Which solves exactly nothing, because the follow-on integrators won't even think of it.

Unless somebody reading threads like this takes it to heart, and really makes an app. DumpKing? Whatever...

It occurs to me my answer to the swimming pool thing was to revert to the MarineLife database. And they may have pump-outs in there, too...

-Chris
The filtering option would be nice and convenient I agree, looking forward to it someday, but I see so much AC bashing on the forum.
Let's not forget where we were 15-20 yrs ago
Jeff has given us a wonderful tool that was not previously available, use it for what it's worth, and don't forget it's free!
Do we really need to rely on our computers for everything? What happened to the day when we ran by magnetic compass, radio beacons, and a clock?
For some of us the planing and the anticipation of the un-known is part of the adventure!
Otherwise it could be called the "marina hoppers forum"
Sorry if I offended any one.
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:34   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
The filtering option would be nice and convenient I agree, looking forward to it someday, but I see so much AC bashing on the forum.
Let's not forget where we were 15-20 yrs ago
Jeff has given us a wonderful tool that was not previously available, use it for what it's worth, and don't forget it's free!
Do we really need to rely on our computers for everything? What happened to the day when we ran by magnetic compass, radio beacons, and a clock?
For some of us the planing and the anticipation of the un-known is part of the adventure!
Otherwise it could be called the "marina hoppers forum"
Sorry if I offended any one.
No offense taken here. But allow me to respond point by point:

- Don't hold your breath for the filtering option on the AC web site. At least 2 of us have been told pointedly that it's not a priority.
- Agree that there seems to be much AC bashing here. I am personally a huge fan, and always thinking of ways to make it even better.
- I remember the days of a magnetic compass and clock. Never had an RDF so I can't commiserate with the radio beacon nostalgia. I could do it again, but prefer to know exactly where I am, where I'm going and what's around me.
- The planning and anticipation of the unknown is still alive and well. AC is great for the planning part. Once you're out there, and the unexpected happens (the "unknown" part), AC data would be very helpful - IF you could filter it by whatever it is you're looking for.
- Marina hopping isn't the only thing you need AC data for. Finding the cheapest nearby fuel (which you can sort of do with the web site now) would be nice. Filtering out marinas, repair shops and Wal-Marts to display just nearby anchorages would be nice. Sorting those anchorages by "star" rating would be nice. Finding a service facility which could haul your boat might be real nice, if you were having a mechanical problem.

It's just not nice to have all this data buried behind dozens of icons on the screen, and having to click each one, navigate through multiple screens and read through a lot of unrelated material to find what you're looking for.

But unless a LOT of users ask for more, there's no motivation for the manufacturers to offer it. All they want is a bullet point in their brochure.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:04   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Waterway Guide (Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts) is another good option. The online tool (Waterway Explore) doesn't allow for direct pumpout filtering, but it does list the marinas in a given geographic area (on the left), and this summary covers a list of services, including the Pumpout item (Yes/No), which can then be quickly scanned.

WG gets its info via crowd sourcing from fellow cruisers (like AC), but also pays real cruisers who actually travel the areas and who are supposed to confirm that the information listed is valid. It's impossible to stay completely up to date, but it's another tool to use, and their quick listing makes it easy to scan for the Pumpout service in a given area.

Disclosure: I am one of their "Cruising Editors."