Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 01:50   #1

Boat: Westerly 43
Partnership Proposal

I've been a co-owner, in a three-way partnership, of a Bounty 35 sloop moored in Sydney for the last six years. This has been a very successful arrangement and we all get on well. We sometimes sail together, we rarely disagree on proposals to enhance/maintain the boat or on cruising plans. The partner that uses the boat the most, is also the most active in maintaining her. We are good friends and the co-ownership has enhanced our friendship. I have 100% trust in my partners.

While I love our Bounty 35, I have an ambition to purchase another bigger boat in Europe or North America and sail it back to Australia, taking advantage of the very favourable exchange rate. I'm thinking maybe a Tayana 42 or a Bristol 41 or possibly even a Catana 38 catamaran. While I think a ten year old production boat (Beneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter or Bavaria) would have good re-sale value here, I'm slightly concerned about their supposed lack of bluewater cred. The point of this exercise would not be to make money, of course, but the price differential might subsidise some of the (considerable) cost taking months off work to sail half way around the world. The main objective would be to satisfy my love of sailing and visit wonderful places along the way. In fact, I would like to do the trip in several stages. I'm lucky with my job in that I could take 2-3 months leave (without pay) each year.

Would it be at all feasible to do this as part of my partnership, assuming my two partners are interested. For example, we could buy the boat in the med and keep her there for a couple of months. Each partner could use the boat during that time. One or two of us would then sail her across to the Caribbean and we would keep her there for a season. The following year, we would do the same thing in the Pacific. It might take us 3 years to get her back to Oz. We might, or might not, then sell her.

My partners are financially quite secure, so money shouldn't be a show stopper. Does this idea sound at all doable? Has anyone heard of anyone doing something similar?
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 05:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Partnership proposal

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Budawang.

I cannot see any objective reason why your proposal couldn’t work. In fact, I think it’s an intriguing idea.
Of course, the only truly important opinions would be those of your partners.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 05:41   #3

Boat: mt34dt
Re: Partnership proposal

Spend a week with prospective partners camping or in a small cabin and if all get on, then probably would work. The idea of buying and cruising then selling, especially if it covers the cost of cruise is indeed intriguing. Keep us informed.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 05:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Partnership proposal

Sounds like a great plan... especially as you all get on well...
don't discount the Beneteau range though... they do OK bluewater...
ask our esteemed CF circumnavigator from your part of the world MarkJ....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 14:19   #5

Boat: Westerly 43
Re: Partnership Proposal

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. The more I think about this, the more I want to do it. I'm in my mid forties and my youngest is 18, so I feel I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I've been a responsible wage earner for more than 20 years, but I've always had a yearning for adventure.

Now to convince my partners and to do a whole lot of research...
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
partnership