Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 11:17   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49
Re: Part time cruising... how to store the boat?

There are plenty of comfortable, seaworthy, trailerable boats. Cheap, easy to store, best yet, Mobile! Sail the Bahamas one winter, mexico the next, fly back, get the trailer and drive it back or leave it in Mexico. One problem is winter won't let you sail north of California or Florida, but there's still a few thousand miles of coastline left to explore!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Why would you not get a boat on a trailer? For 20 years, I had a Sovereign 28, which I finished from a bare-hull stage. It had a center cockpit, sleeps 4, 3/4 keel, galley and a head with a shower. With a Yanmar 2gm20 and about 30 gals it was a capable coastal cruiser. It weight about 7,000 lbs and had a 6-wheel trailer. Living onboard for months at a time was possible, as was towing it for 1000 miles over a few days.
When I wasn't using it, the boat lived on its trailer in a paddock. It could be launched from the trailer, or by hoist, the mast raised and rigged, in one day.

Depends if for the OP the hassle of "trailering", is worth it in return for being "mobile". If the OP is only going to sail Nov-April the climate will be excellent in the Sea of Cortez. It will cost less to keep the boat in a place in Mexico like San Carlos / Guaymas on the hard than the cost of "trailering". It is so inexpensive to keep a boat on hard and put in / haul out in San Carlos / Guaymas.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 13:28   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Depends if for the OP the hassle of "trailering", is worth it in return for being "mobile". If the OP is only going to sail Nov-April the climate will be excellent in the Sea of Cortez. It will cost less to keep the boat in a place in Mexico like San Carlos / Guaymas on the hard than the cost of "trailering". It is so inexpensive to keep a boat on hard and put in / haul out in San Carlos / Guaymas.
Of course only the OP can answer this, but if only trailered a couple of times per year then its a relatively small hassle...and I despise trailer sailing!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 13:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Of course only the OP can answer this, but if only trailered a couple of times per year then its a relatively small hassle...and I despise trailer sailing!
Same for me. I would avoid "trailering". Especially crossing border to and from Mexico, dealing with the poor roads in Mexico not to mention the bureaucratic hassle. Another aspect is also if a boat can be "trailered" there are going to be trade offs effecting performance and comfort when sailing. But it is up to the OP.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 14:58   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLucidMoose View Post
Hey friends.
Wanted to get input from the community as I begin the journey of becoming a cruiser. Here is my situation. I have a seasonal job as a wildland firefighter and at this time I am not ready to give that up, as it is my main source of income.

I have a few questions for the community regarding this.

You have a hard, risky job there, sir. Thank you for doing this work, as it benefits us all.

First off, is this possible? As others have said, many people do seasonal cruising. First, you need to get sailing some, and see if you like it. If you do, you'll start learning about the logistics. A lot will depend on where in the world you are located, how close you are to a sailing "scene."
Are there many people out there doing this sort of thing? I dont have any experience cruising and I am wondering about many of the logistics.

How do I store my boat safely and economically? Someone mentioned storing the boat at Guaymas.
We have a friend who did that for years. However, be aware, hurricanes can get to there, so there is some risk.

My income is modest as a firefighter and I spend much of my time dirtbagging around the western united states camping, hiking, biking etc. basically I have learned to live modestly and cheaply. Thinking about a boat in the 28 foot size range. It is a reasonable size. If you could tell us your sailing experience, it would help for giving you advice.

should I consider hauling out every season and dry storage? From the research I am doing I am looking at $200-$300 dollars a month plus haul out and haul back in. Plus, that is normally when you would anti-foul the boat, prior to launch. You will find that some bottom paints will lose their effectiveness when on the hard. You need to start to think about that.

should I consider renting a slip at a marina? Marinas are where most people keep their boats when not in use.

Should I consider a mooring? is this a safe option? do boats get stolen? This depends on where you select to keep the boat.

My fire season is from may to october and weather is a consideration both for storage and cruising. Is this a good time of year for those? [COLOR="darkred"Northern hemisphere hurricane season is approximately June through December, largely during your working time.[/COLOR]

Where locations should I consider for storage considering cost and ease of access to cruising grounds.

Right now my best thought is to purchase a boat somewhere in the gulf coast and when I am done cruising for the season to store it in somewhere between texas and florida (with cost being the consideration). I would then return to my job for the season. Then after fire season I would return to the boat and cruise back to the bahamas and caribbean.

what am I missing?

Any questions comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a bunch

-Will
Overall, you may be able to make it happen. It will largely depend on the other costs of boat ownership. It doesn't stop with purchase, you will find there will be expenses for mooring or hauling out, for maintenance, for insurance (can't get hauled without insurance.) You might consider a trailerable boat that you could leave parked on someone's land, and launch from a public ramp. There is a class of boats called "pocket cruisers" that you might want to learn about, too. Small, but safe to go offshore in. It will be your interest in learning about boat maintenance, and your creative problem solving while doing it that will provide a lot of satisfaction, and help to make it possible.

Good luck with it, Will.

Ann
Old 02-08-2019, 16:08   #21
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads an OP's post before replying.

Your idea of buying a boat to use 6 months a year is eminently doable, as a few have previously stated. Make your first winter cruise a learning/fitting out expedition, the next year ... The World

If we cross paths somewhere, I will buy the beer.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 17:01   #22

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. I feel like I am getting some very valuable information.

To address some of the topics that came up.
Trailering is not really an option for my personal scenario. I dont have a tow vehicle and I live in montana. I dont see it as a great option as I would have to invest a ton of money into a trailer, truck, place to store it etc...
again i would reiterate that I am on a budget and would look at a boat that is a fixer upper. I dont have a deep well of funds to draw from... I realize that cruising is not free but it seem possible.

It seems like storing on the hard every year would be the best option for me and it also seems cruising around the pacific side of mexico or the gulf side would make sense.

I love the idea of spending the first season learning, fitting, and adjusting the boat. This was in my plan so a location that is conducive to this end is what I am looking for. Looking for fun safe waters to lean in.
I would also try to avoid the most touristy of destinations.

Some have said that my asessment of $200-$300 a month is a little shy of the reality of storing on the hard. wondering if anyone can give me some real world numbers on what that might cost with haul out?

thanks so much everyone who has replied to this thread. I appreciate your welcoming attitude and not treating me like a dumb rookie.

you guys rock

-Will
TheLucidMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 18:41   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Moose,

Google on Marina San Carlos @ Guaymas, they may have rates listed on a website. Jim and I really enjoyed cruising in the Sea of Cortez (locally called the Golfo de California). The spear fishing was super, too.

Ann
Old 03-08-2019, 03:17   #24

Boat: Fisher 34

If you wanted to keep the boat in the Pacific NW, the marina in Astoria was unbelievably cheap last time I enquired (though it hapennef some 5 or 6 years ago)
olddog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:43   #25

Boat: Taswell 43

To answer your question....yes, it is very doable. And while the haul-out and dry storage costs can get expensive, living on the boat for the half year you're not working can be very INexpensive! Overall....it's a lifestyle and a choice only you can make. We bought our boatin Asia, and lived aboard full time. When we moved her to the Medd, we cruised 6 mos and stored her/put her on the hard 6 mos when we returned to our stateside home. The Medd offers lots to see and some really cheap rates, but it's a little more involved. We're now in the northern Caribbean (this fall will be season #6), and we're doing the same. We leave her at a marina in Puerto Rico, on the hard, for the summer 6 mos, respalsh in Nov, and sail the Caribb for 6 mos. Yes, PR is subject to hurricanes; we were on the hard in PR through both Irma and Maria, and had NO damage......that's why we picked that specific marina-their facilities and practices. No, your $300/mo will not cover haulout and storage there, but the other 6 mos, when you are sailing, can be VERY inexpensive....as you enjoy the Caribb in the winter months. It's really your call, and what lifestyle you want. PS..we sail a 43' monohull, with just the 2 of us aboard.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:45   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLucidMoose View Post
Hey friends.
Wanted to get input from the community as I begin the journey of becoming a cruiser. Here is my situation. I have a seasonal job as a wildland firefighter and at this time I am not ready to give that up, as it is my main source of income.

I have a few questions for the community regarding this.

First off, is this possible?
Are there many people out there doing this sort of thing? I dont have any experience cruising and I am wondering about many of the logistics.

How do I store my boat safely and economically?
My income is modest as a firefighter and I spend much of my time dirtbagging around the western united states camping, hiking, biking etc. basically I have learned to live modestly and cheaply. Thinking about a boat in the 28 foot size range.

should I consider hauling out every season and dry storage? From the research I am doing I am looking at $200-$300 dollars a month plus haul out and haul back in.

should I consider renting a slip at a marina?

Should I consider a mooring? is this a safe option? do boats get stolen?

My fire season is from may to october and weather is a consideration both for storage and cruising. Is this a good time of year for those?

Where locations should I consider for storage considering cost and ease of access to cruising grounds.

Right now my best thought is to purchase a boat somewhere in the gulf coast and when I am done cruising for the season to store it in somewhere between texas and florida (with cost being the consideration). I would then return to my job for the season. Then after fire season I would return to the boat and cruise back to the bahamas and caribbean.

what am I missing?

Any questions comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a bunch

-Will
If you are Gulf coast you must recon with hurricane season. We are headed into our fourth season cruising the Caribbean. Many of us haul out June through November and leave our boats in Trinidad at peaks or Power Boat. Check these places by their web sites. These are safe, well secured and guarded yards. There are many services available and lots of tours, bike excursions, rain forest trips etc. there is great community in the yards with other cruisers. Local street food is really cheap and good. The OCC port captain maintains a tour business in the yard at Power Boat. There are weekly organized runs to the fresh market and shopping mall or you can use public transportation. You can organize an air conditioner in a deck port and live aboard comfortably. Trinidad is totally out of the hurricane zone. Air travel is affordable from Houston and Miami. Many other cruisers season over in Grenada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F998112-0881-4DDB-B47B-4A49ED757E64.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	197761  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:47   #27

1. Get a bigger boat than a 28 footer. I would start at 30 ft and aim for 35 to 36 ft. Also, 12,000 lbs or more displacement. People are almost giving away some 30 footers right now. Sure they might need a little work, but what used boat doesn't. Look for the best deal - the most bang for the $$. Also, a lot of places have a minimum size to keep a livaboard in a marina.

2. Forget about trailering a heavy boat. Unless you drive an F350 and have a gooseneck boat trailer, both which cost serious $$.

3. If you want to keep the boat in the US, and keep it simple (plane tickets cost money), consider keeping your boat in Corpus Christi, TX and further south.

Go to this website and click the "set on map" button and point to a position on land to see the storm history. I think I could manage the risk for Corpus Christi and south.

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

4. Keep your boat at a secure location on land. You will pay a little more, but the chances of your winter home being robbed while you are gone will be a lot lower. Make sure you can do your own maintenance there. Having your boat professionally bottom painted can be stupid expensive!

5. Drill a hole in your boat so any accumulated water drains out while in storage. I'm serious. Many stored boats are seriously damaged by accumulating rain water. This is commonly called a garboard drain, but can be as simple as a bolt in the bottom of your boat. Remove the bolt during the storage season. Caulk and install it when the boat goes back in. Most sailboats don't have garboard drains - and I have no idea what that is the case.

6. I really like Mexico, but I wouldn't want to keep a boat there unless I fully understood the area and had a better handle on my Spanish.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:14   #28

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Great plan. DO NOT GET A BIGGER BOAT. Look for an older Triton or maybe an Alberg 30 would be my suggestion. For storage, leave it in water and just head upriver somewhere, Indiantown marina in south Florida or anywhere along Gulf Coast. Storm surge becomes a non-issue away from the coast and you can avoid unnecessary haul out costs. Away from the coast, prices fall dramatically. You've got plenty of time, so you could sail down to Florida, do the Bahamas, cross the peninsula via the Okeechobee and either store there or head up to the north Gulf Coast where things are cheaper.

You have time and a sailboat, no need for a trailer to move it from one part of the world to another. Plus trailer storage when not in use is not free. Plus the truck. Plus the cost of reuniting truck/trailer with boat once you sail somewhere else. But it sounds like you already have the simplifying life aspect worked out.

Look at atomvoyages.com if you haven't already.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:21   #29

At the 28 ft size you may be able to do a trailer boat. But then you need a big truck and a place to store it anyway.
Likely hauling onto the hard is your best choice. You need maintenance every year anyway. Find an economical place to dry store it for the fire season.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:14   #30

Lots of good advice here. You could easily find a fixer upper in Indiantown or the other yards nearby. SW Florida and they keys would then be a great shake down area.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising