Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2012, 07:31   #1

Boat: none yet :(
Owning a Sailing Boat in Manhattan

Hi everyone

I have been living in Manhattan for some time now (moved from Europe) and have been exploring the options and practicalities of owning a sailing boat while living in Manhattan. While still far from reaching a firm conclusion, I was wondering if there are some of you that have done it and would appreciate if you share some practical experiences in terms of optimal size, docking/mooring options, general running costs (insurance, taxes etc), maintenance, safety, winter storage, taxes and general headaches. I was thinking about something up to low 30's LOA.

This is my first post, so hopefully it is in the right section of the forum

Happy New Year to all!

Cheers!

Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 07:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Owning a sailing boat in Manhattan

I have absolutely no advice to offer... have not got a clue... but.... others will walk this thread... so I'll just say...

WELCOME TO CF......

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:06   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Owning a sailing boat in Manhattan

If you can drive to Jersey or up the hudson a few 40 or so miles you'll save a bunch on dockage.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:17   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Unless you've got lots of money, you will not keep a boat in Manhattan. Look at the marinas on the Jersey side, which you can reach by ferry or PATH train. Look at Oyster Bay (LIRR) or Gateway Marina (subway then bus, across from Floyd Bennet Field). Or there's City Island, a long subway and bus ride making it less convenient than many other options.

Something like Oyster Bay gives you access to the entire LISound, and reasonably good transportation to get there.

North Cove is probably out of price, and the 79th Street Marina may have a 20-year waiting list.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Details will depend mainly on how close to Manhattan you want to keep the boat. There are only a couple of options in Manhattan proper but as you go further from downtown the places to keep a boat multiply and the costs shrink.

City Island offers a lot of possibilities and puts you much closer to cruising LI Sound. I think going up the Hudson River also offers some possibilities both for storage options and interesting cruising grounds.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:26   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

79th Street Boat Basin has a waiting list of 5 to 7 years....

But the moorings are ok, but they are for summer only. I don't know what people do with their boats in winter.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:27   #7

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

You can try Liberty Landing Marina across the River in NJ. The Manhattan water taxis run there and you have quick access to NY Harbor, East River, Verrazano, etc. Prices are high and you cannot do any of your own work in the yard, but it sure is convenient to downtown!

If you go up the Hudson River to Nyack there is a good yard with a mooring field I think called Petersons. Nyack is also a nice town. Good sailing on the Hudson, but a but a bit far from the ocean proper.

Just don't buy any boats in that area, at least not without very careful inspection. Nearly all the marinas had heavy losses from Sandy, even way up the Hudson. Many Marinas lost 50-100 boats. The wind knocked them over on the hard and the flood tide bashed them all around into each other.

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 09:09   #8

Boat: none yet :(

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses! Very similar to my initial results.
Yes, I was a bit dissapointed with the multi-year waiting list at 79th St Boat Basin, if I were them (the NYC Parks), I would upgrade the facility as obviously the demand is higher than the supply. It is a very convenient location and could be a nice profitable business. Not sure if there are any physical/technical constraints to this or it is just a government inefficiency.

The moorings on the Hudson are available for 6-months from May to October for $1800 which may be within the affordability range but I am a bit concerned with the safety of the boat and the dingy. I understand this year there were still some available at all times. Any direct experiences with those moorings?

http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/about-us/using-your-park/marine-operations/moorings/

My main focus is the convenience as any location outside Manhattan would prevent me using the boat during the week in the summer after work, but I guess everything has a price.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 09:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'm not a NYC native, but I have taken 2 cruising boats there and I love the place. I'd suggest that you look at City Island. It isn't very far from Manhattan; subway and the bus will get you there if you don't have wheels.

When at City Island we moored at Consolidated Yachts; Harlem Yacht Club are friendly too.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:35   #10

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

liberty landing is a marina to consider. $200/ft per year. year round facilities, $7 water taxi every 1/2 hour. laid back not stuffy dockmates. my first year here and am looking for a great 2013
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:46   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It is quite rough on the those moorings at 79th Street even in calmish weather. Lots of tug and barge traffic, tour boats, etc. lead to rockin' and rollin' the night away. OK for a visit or if you aren't living onboard, but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time there.
Old 01-01-2013, 18:11   #12

Boat: Pearson 36

I live in Harlem and keep my boat on City Island. If I hit traffic right I can be in the boatyard in 20 minutes....
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
[COLOR=#800080]

My main focus is the convenience as any location outside Manhattan would prevent me using the boat during the week in the summer after work, but I guess everything has a price.
Checkout the Newport Marina on the New Jersey side of the Hudson. Twenty minute Path Train ride from midtown Manhattan. Great places for provisioning within a five minute walk.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:28   #14

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB

We kept our boat docked at Dimeglio's Marina in Brooklyn. Decently priced, but you do have to wait for a draw bridge if your mast is too tall.
SailingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:32   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Do you have a car? That will change your options considerably.

If not:
Forget City Island or Nyack etc. You might also look into zipcar.com.

Look for marinas within a SHORT walk or 5-minute cab ride of the commuter rail system. Some of the ones that come to mind:
New Haven Line: New Rochelle, Stamford CT, Norwalk, CT, Milford CT, etc. If you're thinking of it as a weekend getaway don't overlook the central and eastern CT towns. The water is cleaner, the places are more pleasant, and your options for cruising are better with Eastern LI and Rhode Island an easy jump.
Hudson Line: Tarrytown and Croton have several marinas and boat clubs. Small, low key and "do-it-yourself" member-run places.
LIRR: Oyster Bay, StonyBrook and Port Jefferson are near the railroads. (Maybe others -- I don't know LIRR too well).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing