Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 09:20   #16

Re: OK, so I'm a newbie, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
Don't you just love all the armchair pontificators around here? Never done it but they have an opinion. Anyway I tried it while anchored out on my 30 foot boat. I was overrun. I finally quit when I realized I wanted to cruise , not run a BnB. But I would do it again if funds ran low.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Flying under the radar works great...until it doesn't. Just because others assessed the situation without taking the risk doesn't mean they don't understand the risks.

Running it at anchor, means you have to get people to and from the boat. Now you need a guy with a captains license to run them out in the dingy unless you are in a location with a water taxi that services anchored boats.

Then again, it sounds like you are running a low price boat (which I suggested as an option if the OP wants to take a risk). Also as a cruiser, you have the ability to bug out if things turn ugly. It's not the right thing to do but realistically what I would expect if someone is flying under the radar.

Then again also, you may be judgment proof. If your assets amount to a $10k boat and a couple grand in a bank account, a million dollar judgment against you doesn't mean much. If it's your primary home, the boat is probably safe and they usually won't take your last dollar.

The OP is talking about an investment property in the mid 6 figures with no cruising intentions in a pricey area. If things go ugly, it's going to be a lot easier to track him down and bankrupt him if he doesn't do all the background leg work of getting insurance, marina approval, charter captain if the boat leaves the slip, etc...
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:05   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just came from Key West, where I met a guy who said he was doing this with his boat, and getting $250 a night and was booked up. I did get the impression that he was not insured and equipped, licensed etc for being a Charter boat, was just doing it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 13:08   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
Don't you just love all the armchair pontificators around here? Never done it but they have an opinion. Anyway I tried it while anchored out on my 30 foot boat. I was overrun. I finally quit when I realized I wanted to cruise , not run a BnB. But I would do it again if funds ran low.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well, this is a cruisers and sailing forum, not a BnB forum.

I suggest you can take your armchair comment and post it elsewhere. I cannot see how and armchair person could not provide someone else with a valid feedback. Maybe you can explain this apparently obvious relationship to me.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote