Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 17:48   #1

Nursing in the South Pacific

Hello All,

My apologies if this topic has already been broached.

The South (well, and North, eventually) Pacific are in my up and coming cruising plans. Probably within the next two years. Because we are not independently wealthy (dang!) I would like to work here and there as we cruise, in an effort to make this trip more of a lifestyle than a prolonged vacation. I was hoping to get some input from other nurses that have worked abroad, and I know you cruising nurses are out there! Or is that nursing cruisers? Hm. Anyway...

I do NOT have a Bachelor's degree; I have a "two year" or associate RN degree. Obviously I know I can work in US territories/states: Hawaii, Guam, the Marshalls, US Samoa, etc, without needing to go through immigration and reciprocation/licensure. What other countries have relatively easy immigrations processes to get work? And where is it NICE to work? Because we'll never be anywhere more than 6 months or so, I'll mainly be looking at temp and per diem positions.

From what I understand, it's fairly difficult to get licensed in New Zealand, and I think I understand that US RNs there must have bachelor's degrees? I believe the same is true in Australia? I'd love someone to correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sarah
sarahwrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22   #2

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
Re: Nursing in the South Pacific

My friend who was an English State Registered Nurse (3 Year course) moved to Australia but had to re-sit the Nursing exams. She does not have a degree - unless the Nursing authorities counted her 3 year training course as being the same.

Contact an Australian Nurse reciting company - I am sure they will tell you very swiftly.

The issue with NZ/Aus will be entering as a tourist is quite easy.... obtaining a work permit (and I guess liability coverage as a by product for your profession) sounds more problematic.
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ Working in Australia as a Nurse - Doctors and Nurses - Workers - Visas&Immigration

And ➥ International Section | Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council

And ➥ Nursing Jobs Australia - Nurse Recruitment Agency Australia - Midwifery Jobs in Australia - Midwife recruitment agency Australia - Healthcare jobs Australia - Healthstaff Recruitment

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 06:04   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Sarah! Have you considered working aboard a cruise ship? Search cruise lines covering the South Pacific! Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 06:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The original post is 2 years old. A spammer dug it up from the depths and posted. He has now been banned.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific