Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 15:19   #1

Nurse Midwife and a Carpenter / Marine Systems Guy

I posted this in the introductions but really want infor from this thread..

I am Erin- my husband Ed and I are 2 years away from launching our dream to sail the world.

We are in Chicago, IL now and have sailed our Catalina 30 ft 1985 tall rig for 16 years around Lake Michigan and have become reasonably accomplished sailors (ask Ted Turner about sailing the "lake").

We are carefully plotting the course to our new life on the bluewater boat of our dreams- maybe a Valiant 42 that will be found hopefully in about 1 year when the house is sold.

We will scan the forum for valuable information and advise- but for now we are most interested in learning if our plans make any sense. I am a nurse (actually a Certified Nurse Midwife) and my husband is a carpenter who plans to go to The Landing in Kennebunkport Maine next year for the 10 month Marine Systems degree (Engine, electronics, rigging, fiberglass). His plan for the degree is to make sure we are self sufficient while cruising, as well as developing a trade that will allow for available work in ports. We are hoping that we can make a reasonable living while cruising with these two professions- possible enough not only to live on but to bank to buy the "farm" when we are done cruising in a few years.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Erin's Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 15:28   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Welcome to CF

All sounds good and seems like you have done your homework and have a responsible outlook to your future.

Just one observation though, do you realy need a farm ending?
Wouldnt the sea be a more fitting place?
Old 18-08-2010, 15:34   #3

I love digging in the dirt almost as much as the sea- I may need to find a place where I can do both sail and grow stuff.
Old 18-08-2010, 17:12   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Where do you plan to be cruising? US ports, no problem, but a lot of other countries won't allow you to work without a work permit which can be extremely hard if not impossible to get. Have you looked into this?
Old 18-08-2010, 17:46   #5

In my profession there are a number of agencies that specialize in locum tenens (part time) positions. The agency handles all the licensure, insurance etc... as well as finding the positions. If the agency is able to place you in another country they are also able to handle the visa problem. I was more concerned about my husband finding work.
Old 18-08-2010, 17:51   #6

A nurse and someone who can work on boats? You're fine. Honestly that's about the best combination I've heard of. Maybe a doctor and diesel mechanic would be better but we're splitting hairs.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 18:53   #7

Fweuh!! Midwives are often more valuable than Doctors- we are slightly cheaper and babies need to be born. The Landing curriculum does include deisel mechanic education- so it sound like we might be OK?

Your Hans Christian is a boat that we seriously are considering- LOVE IT!

Tags
carpenter