Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 02:41   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Notarizing a Bill of Sale

I recently purchased a boat and was not sure if I would be registering it in my home country (USA), the country I permanently live in (Taiwan) or elsewhere. I did a lot of research and decided USA was my best bet for simplicity.

The owner and I filled out a Bill of Sale he received from the broker in Philippines (where we made the sale). We signed it with two witnesses present.

I have now unregistered the boat from an EU country and am moving forward.

When submitting my paperwork to the USCG, it says I need a Bill of Sale notarized with our signatures. Now, the owner is back in Europe and I am in east Asia.

Can I submit my current Bill of Sale? I really don't want to spend thousands to fly across the world for a signature. Is there any other way? Must I use the US government's BoS?

TIA
crybllrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:51   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Notarizing a Bill of Sale

For the definitive answer, call the USCG. They are quite helpful for tricky situations. I was unable to meet similar requirements due to distance and they bent the rules. Quite nice people and no time on hold.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:59   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

That sounds promising, I will give them a call.

Thanks a lot!
crybllrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:18   #4

Boat: CT-47

I had a similar situation. Boat in Croatia, owner in Germany, myself in Hong Kong. Where is the previous owner domiciled in Europe? If by any chance Germany, it can all be done „remotely“
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:41   #5

Boat: Norseman 400

You might be able to use Docusign with a notary present for both the buyer and seller. Docusign is an internet based platform for signing legal documents. We have used it in the past for other transactions and it meets the legal requirements of the USA.

https://www.docusign.com/products/enotary

https://support.docusign.com/en/guid...ng-with-notary
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:09   #6

Boat: Alerion Express 28

The boat doesn't have to be documented with the CG; you might be able to register it with your state of domicile, usually the DMV just like your car. Check with them to see if a notary is required.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:04   #7

Boat: Contest 50CS

If the boat is in international waters It is required to be USCG documented. They should accept a sworn affidavit that is notarized. which stated the reason the bill of sale was not notarized. That is what I had to do for my Canadian documented boat.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:47   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailone3032 View Post
If the boat is in international waters It is required to be USCG documented. They should accept a sworn affidavit that is notarized. which stated the reason the bill of sale was not notarized. That is what I had to do for my Canadian documented boat.
I really don’t think so.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:50   #9

Boat: Kristen 52

Check to see if previous owner is country that has apostle service.
The USCG will accept it.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:13   #10

Don't think the buyer signs the coast guard Bill of sale if I rememer the notary certifies the sellers signature.. Call the coast guard doc center. It is the best government agency I have ever dealt with
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

You need a BOS on USCG Form CG-1340 notarized to DOCUMENT a vessel as US Flagged (not "register" which in the US is a state function).

You should also provide a so-called "Builders Certificate" aka, an MSO or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. Boats built in some countries (like South Africa) are import duty exempt in the US.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailone3032 View Post
Not true, non-documented vessels can operate anywhere. International means "international" and not subject to local laws but I wouldn't fly the Skull & Cross Bones. It certainly is desirable for many reasons to be US flagged in any waters even. or especially in US waters.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

FWIW we bought our boat from a European couple, all a long-distance transaction. We completed a CG1340 bill of sale and e-mailed it to the owners. They printed it, took it to a notary in Germany, and signed/notarized the bill of sale. They then mailed the original back to us. We submitted it with our documentation package and USCG accepted it without any questions. YMMV.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:38   #14

Boat: Hanse 430e

I bought my boat in Malta, the seller was in Holland. There is a
treaty covering universal acceptance of Notary stamp. Other countries have different names for the process. Admonishment, or Apostille. The Hague Apostille country list will give you the best answer of whether the Philippines or where ever the BOS is. https://www.gsccca.org/notary-and-ap...e-country-list

Now regarding the USCG documentation center. First off you do not need an agent to do this, but you need to have your paper is good order. I suggest using the credit card form instead of sending a check. In your cover letter you might want to remind the corpsman that the Apostille treaty exists and its a good as a US Notary.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale