Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11   #1

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro
North/South Catamaran Fractional Ownership

We are planning to live 6 months/year on a catamaran in the Caribbeans and looking for the BEST WAY to achieve this. Fractional ownership seems attractive... but !

Rather than buying a "conventional ownership" with 12 weeks (6 guarantied + 6 you can loose), with "your catamaran" sailed by 90 different crews (18 x 5 years and sometimes 10 on board) that you will never know, why not share a full 6 months each with somebody YOU KNOW !

For our budget rather than buying a Lagoon 380 2006, and afford alone the maintenance cost, worst the dry storage for 6 month, etc. why do not find someone to share the cata the other 6 months. But we can't share this with sailors having the same desire... season conflicts because we need her in the same time.

So, from my "crazy mind"... raised the idea of finding a sailor ready to take her during the hurricane season, staying outside the storm area.

Is there some way to find somebody in Grenada, ABC, Brasil, north of South America, that would share with a 45 years experienced snowbird sailor a nice used catamaran in the 500,000$US value ?

Seems fractional ownership promoters never thought to this !!!
Sort of a "catamaran dating site" ...
Old 06-09-2017, 18:24   #2

Re: North/South Catamaran Fractional Ownership

I have a similar idea, I want to be on the boat 4 to 6 months. Problem is my months I want are at least November, December, January and February, but same price, 400,000 to 500,000....not opposed to a slightly used Leopard 44. And I would prefer to move the boat to different locations as time goes on. Like a very slow and methodical circumnavigation, sort of. Other problem is I am 29 months from being able to pull the trigger to do this.
Enza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 20:17   #3

Are you hopefully from Brasil ? Haha
We should start a sub-forum on this matter
Old 06-09-2017, 20:45   #4

I'm not from Brasil but I know quite a few that are.....and none are sailors! Thinking South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.......or maybe targeting someone in Arizona. I would hate living in Arizona in the summer!
Enza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 20:47   #5

Are there good sailors in Arizona ???
Need a sailor not too far to ease the "owner swap"

Tags
catamaran, ownership