Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 16:10   #16

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Non Citizen buying boat and cruising in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Forgive me, how can a cruising permit be issued to a boat that has left the country.
That kind of demonstrates how silly the situation is. If you want a cruising permit for a boat purchased in many CBP regions you need to leave the US (cross the border into Canada) and then reenter the US and apply for one.

CBP agents we worked with were all very friendly and profesional. US public servants, in general, are very good. But there seems to be a lack of clear and consistent instructions to CBP regions on how to deal with foreign owned vessels.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 20:04   #17
mcm

I have a document from the department that deals with this issue, it is I'm afraid on my boat in Florida, I am in BC.

If I remember when next there in Nov. I will post a copy on line in this newsgroup and hopefully it will be referred to as needed. The document isd on official letterhead and states very clearly the requirements for annual cruising licences.

It is not something a person can access directly from the source but came through another source and is public knowledge.

I believe everything I have posted on this topic complies with that document
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
I have a document from the department that deals with this issue, it is I'm afraid on my boat in Florida, I am in BC.
That is great way of dealing with the situation. Local CBP officers might respect a document like that.

The most important thing to to talk to the CBP officers. Be open and honest. Keep the name of every CBP officer you talk to and their responses in a written paper log. They will not prosecute, fine or otherwise make trouble with you if have made your best effort to comply.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cruising