Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 18:46   #16

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: No Go on a boat purchase.

unbusted... u dont have kids, do ya?

g2gpos = got to go parents over shoulder

which is, of course, followed by ::eye roll:: what?! what do you want... get out of my room!

which is, of course, followed by SMACK make your bed you ungrateful brat!
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 03:04   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: No Go on a Boat Purchase

Getting dumped is a good thing. It the leaves the door open for something new, and better. Count your lucky stars you're not stuck with these costly problems.......now go sailing.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 03:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: No Go on a Boat Purchase

Tell us what/where your looking for and we'll have you viewing this w/end... lol
Theres some fast searchers on here...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 04:56   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
... FML. Anyone know what that acronym stands for?
Of the various definitions, I like this one:
FML means Fix My Lighthouse. Back in the 17th Century, lighthouse keepers were the butt of everyone's jokes. When a lighthouse keeper was made fun of, his retort would be "why dont you fix my lighthouse!" which was shortened over time to FML. This term was made famous in the great battle of the Sole Bay in 1902 where 14 people died and 1 person broke their glasses.

(G2G: Got to Go - POS: Parent Over Shoulder)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 06:11   #20

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Take heart. This is not the one, but she is out there somewhere. I know you have some hills to climb, just be sure to look around when you get to the top. The view will be better. On the way to your goals, never quit, never give up, and you will get there. Learn from these mistakes, and move on.

Luck to ya.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 06:14   #21

Quote:
I know I should not get attached to a boat I am going to buy...
I can't believe I... missed the cracks and soft spots in the deck.
He also said that some of the chain plates are loose because of the saturation, how the hell did I miss it?
How did you miss the soft spots and loose chain plates? Because you got attached and decided, before you had even had it surveyed, that this was the one you were going to buy.

Good rule of thumb is, never fall in love with anything that can't love you back.

This is a lesson for all boat buyers. Don't get attached to any one particular boat until AFTER you have actually bought it! Before you have your name on the title, the boat is just one potential among many. Nothing more. You need to be objective.

When you are there and actually looking it over for the first time, you need to remember that you are NOT there to drool over it, to gush at how pretty it is, or to dream about the wonderful adventures you will have on it. Plenty of time for that later. In your first visit, the real goal is to look for reasons NOT to buy it. You want to search carefully for anything that says "this boat has problems that make it not even worth surveying."

I suspect that if you had done that, you would have noticed the problems and would not even have bothered to make an offer. So chalk it up to experience, learn the lesson, and move on to your next potential purchase.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 06:30   #22

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Start by simply asking the broker for a refund. That may be all it takes. If not pay the surveyor a couple hundred to write you a letter detailing the delamination.
Tingum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Why not get a discount on the boat and have someone like ourselves address the decks? If you really like the boat, soft decks are a time consuming but doable repair.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:42   #24

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Why not get a discount on the boat and have someone like ourselves address the decks? If you really like the boat, soft decks are a time consuming but doable repair.
Damn it, I was once an ice cold boat shopper just like the rest of you. I don't know where this weakness is coming from.

But really there is a lot good going on with this boat and I might take Charlie here's advice. Unfortunately for Charlie my family owns a yard in the area and I would probably have them do the work! Sheesh I just don't know. I need to sleep on it but didn't sleep at all last night because I was so bummed out about this.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:51   #25
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

"Good rule of thumb is, never fall in love with anything that can't love you back." Hmmm...wow...I like this! except it doesn't acknowledge unconditional love.

However, its just a damn boat, a physical object. Don't worry...you'll find another. Forget the denials thinking you can DIY fix it up blablabla...go shopping.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:56   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

unbusted-- if you are smitten by this boat, make a counter offer 60k$ or so less than asking. if that doesnt workout-- take your deposit back or have broker seek another one for ye. he shouldnt cash check until the decision is made--you have a turn around time for this.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:29   #27

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: No-Go on a Boat Purchase

Ain't no biggie m8, plenty of other boats for sale out there with a lot less problems. With the lesson you've learned you'll probably won't miss the signs this time.

Your post probably saved a few other people a potential headache too.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 11:57   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Look on the bright side: That surveyor saved you from a huge mistake. Whether the broker and/or seller knew about the problem...that's something else again.

I'd add one thing to the advice about asking for your deposit back: If the broker says anything beyond "I'll have it ready for you tomorrow" then also send him a fax, email with receipt, or plain certified letter, so you have written proof that you are asking for your deposit back NOW because the survey (attached) shows the boat to have substantial structural issues which effectively make it unsafe and unsound.

At least initially...be restrained about it. And perhaps, consider buying a moisture meter of your own after you get the deposit back. What's that company up in Canada...electro-something? Under $200 or so?

Of course if you really are a glutten for punishment, you can also ask for the return of your deposit (without delay) or a reduction in sale price offset by the cost of the necessary structural repairs, but it sounds like they'd have to pay you to get that right.

The most beautiful girl in the room just told you "No chance". The good news is, the SWAT team just busted in and announced she's a black widow! THIS IS A GOOD THING.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 12:06   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Electrophysics Moisture Meters

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 12:29   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Why spend $1000 on a survey for a boat that I now will not even be able to get insured? The value that this surveyor gave me over the phone after he sent me this email was essentially zero dollars.
Well, if you need a bad survey to get out of buying a worthless boat. and some spectaculer bills to go with it - then would be $1,000 well spent. But if the Broker does push on this point, then a couple of hundred to the Surveyor for a letter "survey" report on that single (?!) survey point alone should suffice......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote