Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 15:53   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Re: Next Job Resume: How do I best document my year cruising to a future employer?

I won't comment on the interview and getting the job part, but if you need to have a clearance, and need to fill out all those forms, you might have fun explaining the gap in employment and extended time in a foreign country. If were you and got the job, I would get help from the FSO while filling out the paperwork. If you're still cleared from your time in service, you might be good for now. I don't know if they pull your clearance as soon as your discharged.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 04:56   #32

Boat: Mashford Claris
Re: Next Job Resume: How do I best document my year cruising to a future employer?

I just put down 12 months long service leave and left bit at that
takeabow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:29   #33

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I doubt you would get hired?
Actually that was 2011, since then I've been hired once or twice per year as an IT Consultant. A typical contract lasts 6-8 months and it's fairly common that I get a full time perm job offer. Most clients find my lifestyle interesting and appreciate what I learned and the problem solving involved in being a sailor. I turn jobs down more often than they pass on me.
Old 16-10-2015, 09:24   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Self employed as a yacht manager and Captain.
That would fly like a lead brick. Looking for a job it would just say self employed failed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:49   #35

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Me also. I guess something said resume? I'm 72 but figured I'd what a year or two to write one.
Pardon my impertinence, but perhaps your negative comments are based on out dated information... I don't think employers necessarily consider taking time to explore one's dreams a dis-qualifier. IMHO what is really important in a resume is accounting honestly and with confidence for your time and communicating your qualifications and work ethic... and correct spelling and grammar.
Old 16-10-2015, 09:50   #36

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

Thanks for the advise, especially from HR pros. I'm going to cut out the extra crap and just stick to saying traveled for a year with family by boat and RV.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 10:55   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Pardon my impertinence, but perhaps your negative comments are based on out dated information... I don't think employers necessarily consider taking time to explore one's dreams a dis-qualifier. IMHO what is really important in a resume is accounting honestly and with confidence for your time and communicating your qualifications and work ethic... and correct spelling and grammar.
I didn't think my comments had been negative. And yes things have changed. Getting a job is no longer a life time thing. But the hiring person does not want someone who is going to disappear on a whim. The OPs military qualifications sound more relevant than that year of maintaining a boat. It sounds as though he has gotten it. As far as exploring ones dreams being a job qualifier maybe having tried a legit business yes. I've rehired two people that tried, under financing is a bitch . Sailing off not a chance as much as I would have liked to do it at times. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 17:57   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
I would play it up to a reasonable level. If nothing else it makes your resume stand out. The hiring manager may just bring you for the interview out of curiosity; once in front of the manager you can shine on personality instead of paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I agree. Did a LOT of hiring way back then when I had a real job. Diversity of experiences is good. Undocumented gaps in resumes are bad.

Gives you and the hiring manager something not directly work related to discuss. A good hiring manager will look for this opportunity...you can learn a lot about someome in casual unguarded conversation (both good and bad).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men