Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2015, 19:49   #31

Re: Newbies wanting info on how to make an income

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
.. also originally left port with very little money on a 35ft catamaran. We now own (actually recently sold!) a 45ft cat and shall be buying something better very soon. We are also now independent financially. .
As someone who has followed a number of the "make money while cruising" threads, and now this one, it seems statements like this pop up, and like your post, the is no details or even hints as to how you managed it.

Now, I 100% respect your right to keep your personal details to yourself, but THIS is what I think those of us without the large nest egg , or the luxury of passive income/retirement to draw on want to hear more about. Not "save more", "wait longer", "spend less". Those are all valid approaches, but variations on them have been rehashed a million times. The "started with little, but made more out of it" story hasn't been told much, and when it is, there are precious few details. I just really hope it doesn't ask book down to "smuggled drugs", cause that would suck...

Old 11-07-2015, 20:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well, you DO know how hard it is to get fresh milk, or beef, at sea.(G)

Pretty much a seller's market, charge what you please.

The thing is if your living on the water you eat from the water if your living on a farm your eat from the land and if living in the suburbs you eat from the shop shelves.

Old 11-07-2015, 21:49   #33

Boat: Sabre 34

Well, I guess that I am also looking for the same info. I am retired, on a fixed income, and looking to start my cruising life. My one question is how much can a well written and well read website/blog bring in? I would love to have any supplement to my income!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-07-2015, 21:56   #34

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

One option slightly different from having a regular Monday-Friday land based job or a internet based job, is doing FIFO (fly in/fly out) work on remote mining or oil & gas sites.
I work 4 weeks on then get 4 weeks off, allowing plenty of cruising time. At the moment, I return to the home port, every 4 weeks, but in future I plan to do some extended cruising with this schedule.
Old 11-07-2015, 22:53   #35

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Wow such closed minds....or is it jealousy? I've traveled much of the world both on land and the sea. I'm not rich and don't have big "nest egg"

You have a dream or desire? Follow it. if everyone followed the naysayers we'd still be living in the stone age.

every person/family is different as well as every situation and port. You learn to adapt. keep an open mind

life is meant to live free. if the cruising life doesn't work then go back to the hill and try something else. its the regrets of things not attempted not the failures that will sadden you at deaths door. so says the two people I took cruising when dying of cancer and my late father and my late wife. those four people are proof enough for me

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Old 11-07-2015, 23:08   #36

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Well, I guess that I am also looking for the same info. I am retired, on a fixed income, and looking to start my cruising life. My one question is how much can a well written and well read website/blog bring in? I would love to have any supplement to my income!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
A very polular sailing blog (Delos) said they make between 1-2 dollars per day! He brings in about 5 times more via his youtube videos. His videos are the best produced sailing videos I have ever seen (including some that have aired on broadcast TV).

So lets do the math.. $45/month on the blog. 180/month for Youtube. Just to be generous, lets round to $250/month. If it wasn't for Patreon donations, they wouldn't be making videos.

This is why I get super pissed when people say Patreon is akin to begging! Seriously, Brian and his crew put serious hours into creating those videos. Each video they post is around 40 hours of work.
Old 11-07-2015, 23:15   #37

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
As someone who has followed a number of the "make money while cruising" threads, and now this one, it seems statements like this pop up, and like your post, the is no details or even hints as to how you managed it.

Now, I 100% respect your right to keep your personal details to yourself, but THIS is what I think those of us without the large nest egg , or the luxury of passive income/retirement to draw on want to hear more about. Not "save more", "wait longer", "spend less". Those are all valid approaches, but variations on them have been rehashed a million times. The "started with little, but made more out of it" story hasn't been told much, and when it is, there are precious few details. I just really hope it doesn't ask book down to "smuggled drugs", cause that would suck...
Be willing to learn and do anything. if you show up with a positive attitude and open mind doors will open. That has worked well for me since '79 never lived on welfare or credit cards. lived in 16 different states and countries and didn't have a corporate career.
Old 12-07-2015, 00:26   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

HI Having been a hull scrubber @ Dana point marina working for 6 different companies back in 1985 and some years thereafter I would suggest that when you are in port where there are plenty of boats approach the diving companies and ask them if they have any work overload that you can take on temporarily .Often a diver will be looking for a day off and you might be able to fill in for that person.I actually have the Californian record (according to one of my ex bosses)still standing 30 years later and that was 23 boats in a day of 12.5 hours of diving and walking the dock with my trolley and tank.The toughest work I have ever done but it proved to be worthwhile financially.
The price charged back in 1985 was between .85 cents and $1.50 a foot split 50 50 with the diver and company owner.I wonder what the foot rate is now?I know the exchange rate sure is not the same anymore.Back in 85 I got R2.34 for a dollar and today I would get R12.50 for a dollar.(R = Rands ,the South African currency)
So yeah that is a good way to make a bit of extra cash if you are in the right place .Topside work is also a way to make an extra buck or two .
Have fun .
Old 12-07-2015, 01:39   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As an aging cruiser, I am often in the position of wishing there was someone to do some of the "heavy lifting" involved with the annual haulout and bottom painting. I doubt if I am unique!

But, this is grunt work, not skilled labour... pressure washing, light wet or dry sanding, scrubbing, moving scaffolding about... that sort of stuff. I'm not interested in paying yard labour rates, not even close, for this sort of work. So if you scale down your requirements to a fraction of the ~100 bucks an hour the pros want, you will likely find work around any DIY boatyard, the kind of yards that cruisers frequent.

Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 03:01   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post

LOL.......... just because a few manage to overcome the issues and make money, does not mean that YOU or I can do the same using their methods. It is actually irrelevant HOW they made it, just that they applied effort and went a route and stuck at it. I think you would be surprised that most people who made money actually did it a conventional way. Sold a business, had an online sales business, consultancy, bought and sold property, rentals etc.

If you want cruising money, then its a different approach to building a huge capital base.

If you want cruising money, then what skills do you have? What are you prepared to do?

Now my profession is in the medical field, and when Im cruising I NEVER tell people that.
I also am a D.O. Osteopath and that, I let be known.

A while back, I was in a European country not too far from the UK, and enjoying the local pub near where I was berthed. A popular little place with the locals and pretty full. Everyone knew each other. In the chat off and on was questions and answers about what we all did. I let mention that I was a 'bonesetter'.

About 10 minutes later, I found out later that someone had run round to his house and told him, a man came in with a drooped shoulder- he had dislocated it. A short round guy. He asked if I could help him. "sure" I said, "I would give it a go". Everyone stood back and cleared a space around one of the centre tables. I laughed and just asked for a chair for him. We removed his jacket and shirt and had him down to his vest..... The comments started flowing from the guys in the pub "Jeez, if I was a woman and saw that physique, Id be wanting a piece of you meself!" Good local humour.. "Should I be opening the the door for when you pull the arm so you have room to stretch it there mister?" and everyone good humouredly joining it. The laughter and chat was loud and extremely funny.

I laughed and stood up. "jobs done". They all looked at the guy in the chair and sure enough, the arm was in place. (Cunningham technique). I never bought another drink that night. The bar owner, Olli asked me me if I would come in the next day and he would have 'one or two' with a bent bone or a bad back to have a look at. He asked how much I charged, and I said i would leave it to the person if they could afford a "copper or two" if not there would be no charge.

Next day, I went in at 10am and the main saloon was full of people. There was a board placed on the pool table for me to use! I saw about 22 people in the next 4 hours! and in the evening another couple. My self and lady friend were the centre of attention that night, food and drink. When we got back to the boat, there were boxes in the cockpit blocking entry to the door, when we looked in there was milk, tinned goods, crates of beer, a chicken or two and other stuff. Attached to the door was a plastic bag containing money, probably close to or a little more than equal to 200 sterling.

This is using the skill set that you possess. Be generous with your skills and charges and become known for good work and going the extra mile.

I have a friend who is an industrious worker who manages to get spending money no matter where he sails just by being willing to do anything on a boat and charging modestly. From hull cleaning to painting to deck scrubbing. He is a professional person in his daily life but loves sailing more. He can live on the money he gets when he does the jobs, and gets himself known in the sailing community. Its about networking.

Jim Cate made mention here of some of the heavier work being tougher to do as age takes its toll. For the younger cruiser looking for money, dont expect pro rates. I have found it best to sometimes just go do the job and leave it to the cruiser to pay what he feels. Its a risk, but generally you walk away with some money and gift and more importantly, a good reputation which will get other jobs. I only ever got stiffed once really badly. I just laughed about it. Admittedly the story got out in the local area in the pub, and caused endless embarrassment to the cruiser and he was sidelined on a lot of things, but that was his choice and loss. He had to move on.

If you need to build up a nest egg whilst cruising, you will need to look at some of the methods mentioned at the top of this response.

I have an online consultancy which can be done from anywhere. (Wi-Fi needed). Several years ago I bought a SKYPE phone number which is a regular land line phone number. and have an international dialing subscription which gives me free calls to a lot of countries. People can call me and I can call them. I can be anywhere in the world with that number.

It just needs a little thinking about with your skill set and willingness to be taken into account.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:09   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It seems that much of the "make money while cruising" opportunities are those where the money is made at intervals between the actual cruising. All of the short term work including boat yard tasks, restaurant work, construction and more. take place in ports where the boat would need to be at anchor or in a slip and not underway.

I'm not against calling this "making money while cruising", but this leaves everything open as an opportunity for income while cruising as long as the job allows for some occasional time off for actually moving the boat about.

A quick look at the numbers show that I've been "cruising" by this definition for 15,695 days and I've left my boat to spend the day at a conventional job ashore for 6,080 days.

I do recognize that technology has allowed more opportunities to work away from a land based site, but most of the work suggested here for cruisers is not available while actually underway.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:17   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
It seems that much of the "make money while cruising" opportunitities are those where the money is made at intervals between the actual cruising. All of the short term work including boat yard tasks, restaurant work, construction and more. take place in ports where the boat would need to be at anchor or in a slip and not underway.

I'm not against calling this "making money while cruising", but this leaves everything open as an opportunity for income while cruising as long as the job allows for some occasional time off for actually moving the boat about.

A quick look at the numbers show that I've been "cruising" by this definition for 15,695 days and I've left my boat to spend the day at a conventional job ashore for 6,080 days.

I do recognize that technology has allowed more opportunities to work away from a land based site, but most of the work suggested here for cruisers is not available while actually underway.
With respect Hudson, a person does not drive a car and text at the same time. Its impossible to 'work' whilst underway unless have a crew.

'Cruising' the term is not just limited to physical cruising.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:33   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
With respect Hudson, a person does not drive a car and text at the same time. Its impossible to 'work' whilst underway unless have a crew.

'Cruising' the term is not just limited to physical cruising.

'and this is my point in agreement. This cruising would also include "bonesetting" in a foreign pub. This is why I would include most all jobs as potential work for cruisers.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:48   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
'and this is my point in agreement. This cruising would also include "bonesetting" in a foreign pub. This is why I would include most all jobs as potential work for cruisers.
Then I misread your post. Apologies.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:24   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Then I misread your post. Apologies.
'no need for apologies,- I often fail to make myself clear. My claim is that all jobs, wether in your home port or foreign port, that allow income to provide for being off on your boat can qualify as working while cruising.

Many of the posts here have pointed out examples of work while cruising as unskilled labor and odd jobs picked up at short term, but I would include many professionals that have highly skilled jobs in fixed locations. It's not unusual for a crusier to have a contracted position that leaves open portions of time for cruising.

I think it's a mistake to promote the idea that cruising requires giving up a well paying job or living on the edge of poverty.

Tags
income

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: