Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2016, 12:40   #76

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Newbies looking for a name for our boat!

If you could see the way my wife and I adroitly handle our ketch in "Hurricane Gulch" just outside L.A. harbor, you would think we should re-name it CLUSTER.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 12:41   #77

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Hi, I always liked "Happy Days" Good luck to your efforts.
Rocky
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 13:03   #78

boat names seem to have lost something in the last 50 years im not sure if its people or the times
when i bought my boat i kept the name it had, first of all i liked the name and secondly i sort of feared what might happen seeing as it has had the same name for 117 year
i don't think there is any ritual that would keep that from being bad luck there must be some sort of time cut off
Galatea is her name not the first i know but she definitely has seniority over most other galateas
classic1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 13:22   #79

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
When I named Thane, the name search done by the authority came up with a decommissioned British navy vessel. So OK, also a US vessel but that didn't count ,being yank. Dozens of registered 'North Star' numbering with numerals like IV and XII and XX to separate them in the book of ships . Only one boat per name. I'm the only Thane and North Star of Herchel Island (North Star for short) are the only vessels so registered ..By any other name , not a rose.
Did you know `Herchel Island`is a real community, located just west of Hope, BC Canada?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 15:00   #80

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Ashley's Light, after my departed daughter whose memory still guides me.
Old 21-07-2016, 16:37   #81

Boat: Hartley Southseas 38'

Chatting to a recreational fisherman down at the wharf I noticed his boat's name was "State Highway 21" and asked him why. Turns out he is a sales rep. who loves to fish and the reason was simple. "When my boss calls me up and wants to know where I am I can, quite honestly, tell him. I am on "State Highway 21""
Stevie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 14:57   #82

Boat: Tasman 26

Our boat had been renamed by the previous owner to a combination of his children's names. It wasn't a pretty combination and had only been so named for a year, so I had no problems renaming her. I had no details on her original name, so, we renamed her Assylum, as she is our refuge and sanctuary from the maddening world. (the true meaning of asylum). I work in Mental health, so it fits in my eyes. And it gave me the opportunity to call the Tender "Assylum Seeker".
And she is deliberately spelt with the double S, cause she has a lot of tumblehome- and I refer to her as my fat arsed sheila. Who should never be confused with the Rear Admiral, otherwise known as the Dragon lady, cause she is always draggin' me around.

Cheers
Perfusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:25   #83

Please keep also in mind that the name of your boat will also be used in VHF communications. Therefore having a name that doesn't create confusion on VHF will be highly recommendable. (i.e. Cristal Clear will definitely create confusion)

"High Coast Guard, this is Cristal Clear"
Juch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:16   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
Chatting to a recreational fisherman down at the wharf I noticed his boat's name was "State Highway 21" and asked him why. Turns out he is a sales rep. who loves to fish and the reason was simple. "When my boss calls me up and wants to know where I am I can, quite honestly, tell him. I am on "State Highway 21""
There's quite a few names can serve as an "explanation" eg: 'The Office', 'The Field Office', 'The Whare-house', 'The Stockroom'. Yes, with a little imagination one can come up with a number of names to explain one's whereabouts, particularly if one is employed in a western regional office and the "boss" is located at a head office in the east with a 3 hour time zone difference.
Old 26-07-2016, 10:22   #85

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
There's quite a few names can serve as an "explanation" eg: 'The Office', 'The Field Office', 'The Whare-house', 'The Stockroom'. Yes, with a little imagination one can come up with a number of names to explain one's whereabouts, particularly if one is employed in a western regional office and the "boss" is located at a head office in the east with a 3 hour time zone difference.
What house?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:25   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
What house?
"Ware-house???"
Old 26-07-2016, 10:36   #87

Close but no ceegar :-) I think you are thinking of "Herrling Island". I live a few miles from there.

There is a "Herschel Island" in the Arctic - near Inuvik, I believe.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:37   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalifour View Post

Our advice is try to avoid commun territories and remember that the name of your ship must be exclusive in the country or state where you wish to register her. For this matter you might need to consider a slight modification if the name already existe in the registry. In our case we were lucky that it didn't exist but were prepared to add II and call her Dance Me II or Too! Also keep it simple because in distress you will have to use the marine alphabet to describe her. Good luck in your search and let us know where you land.
In the United States, the boat is Registered with the State, however it CAN BE Documented with the USCG. There is no requirement in any state to register a boat name.

The USCG documentation requires the boat be documented with Name and a Home Port. The name documented must be unique to that port. The port is a combination of City and State.

WHAT ARE THE VESSEL NAME AND HAILING PORT MARKING REQUIREMENTS?

Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:42   #89

Met an crab fisherman once who'd just had a new boat built. He called it "Blue Ointment" :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 12:00   #90

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
"Ware-house???"
I've had bosses that would have excepted whore house. Just for the honesty.: smile:
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote