Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2016, 08:55   #16

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Re: Newbies looking for a name for our boat!

How about 'Bantam' Just to remind you how easy it is to get plucked while boating
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:58   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

It is a long and painful process. I had a hard time, but then my son suggested 'As You Wish'. If you are a princess bride fan you know what that secretly means. And the dinghy was Buttercup.
Without being to settle on a name for a while, the default name was to be 'Blow Me'. That motivated me to come up with something a little different.
Old 20-07-2016, 09:01   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Just remember that if the boat is ever going to need a bridge opened in the US don't give it a French name. Ask me how I know.
Old 20-07-2016, 09:02   #19

Boat: PDQ 44i

Congratulations on your new boat! Naming the kids was easier for us than naming the boat. There is a lot of good advice here already. Pick something you like. The radio thing is huge. You will be giving your boat name on the VHF all the time, so pick something decent and dignified. Do you want to have to spell it every time? If not, pick something where the spelling is more or less self-evident, and something that other people can remember. Sailors seem to like puns in their boat name. You can come down on either side of that argument. It is to be hoped that you will get a little moment of euphoria every time you say your boat's name (and your kids names, too.)
My all time favorite is a boat from Memphis. The owners named her "Love Me" so they could name their dinghy--wait for it-- "Love Me Tender."
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:16   #20

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"
pirate Re: Newbies looking for a name for our boat!

I agree that picking a name for your boat is very trying! Much easier to name your kids ... who knew?

An Old Salt once told me that the real test of a name is to record your voice saying the name three times and play it back to see how it will sound on the radio to others. Or have someone say it to you three times.

I have used that in naming my boat and it works; discarded many names because they sounded wrong or goofy or unintelligible.

Funny thing is that the name that I chose was the name that I first thought of and it spoke to me and I think it fits the boat. But I went through a lot of names first. I would write down any word I thought would make a good name and then research the name for meaning. I had two full pages of these. I passed them by friends and family with mixed responses and new names suggested and added to the list. I did this for 8 months! obsessing!

As I look back this was a stressful decision cause you don't want to get it wrong, but as the OP said EXCITING because it's a new boat!

Good luck!
Jim
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:17   #21

Boat: Mirage 24

Another caveat to keep in mind is names with an alcohol or drinking reference can invite more frequent visits and checks from the authorities
GetawayMirage24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:22   #22

Boat: Catalina 30
Question Re: Newbies looking for a name for our boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Funny thing is that the name that I chose was the name that I first thought of and it spoke to me and I think it fits the boat.
Jim
SO, what did you name your boat???
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:34   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

"Pan" would be a bad choice.
I thought of using phonetics in the naming would be good, and if my name was Charlie I'd have used W4C. Charlie Sheen, of course, would use K4C.

Make sure you check to see if the name is already in use in case you want to document your boat.

goat <--- not my boat's name, just my disposition.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:43   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I bet there are 100 boats named "Island Time" registered, must not be a limit on how many can share a name?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:46   #25

Just call it "Bob".
Sometimes it just "Bobs" around..
mcneilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:52   #26

Jeez, it's just a boat. Don't take it so seriously. If you can't make up your own name, just go with the herd:

https://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/...boat-names.asp
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:58   #27

A few suggestions. The best names...
3 or 4 syllables.
Don't try for clever, it won't seem clever.
Don't worry about unique, it won't be unique.
Think twice about anything nautical. It won't be clever or unique.
Check for names the boat formerly had. Boats always like to get their old names back.
If it has a name, try to keep it. Boats don't like to change names, unless it is already bad.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 10:02   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Keep in mind that the boat name becomes YOUR name too...so for a while I was JENNIE, and I was MELISSA, since those were some of my boat names.

I think the name should mean something to YOU. And it must be easy to say on the radio, and write on registration forms, etc.

Anagrams are good...try an online anagram generator with your name or your wifes name. For example, I was feeling AIMLESS so I named my boat MELISSA...do you see the anagram?

When I was going through a tough time, with several deaths in the family, I called my boat MISERY. It was always a good icebreaker when inviting friends sailing, since MISERY loves company. The running gag was that I wanted to call the boat MISERLY, but was too cheap to pay for the extra letter.

I once let my young kids name the boat. Of course it was rough at the dock the day I brought them to see the boat, and they chose the name WAVY. I made it WAVEY, as a reference to a character in The Shipping News.

Whatever you call your boat, its your boat and your name, so it will reflect on you every time you say it. So give it some thought, and have some fun. Please let us all know what you come up with.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 10:04   #29

I named a boat "As you wish". Easy to understand, easy to pronounce. And fun when you meet another Princess Bride fan.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 10:10   #30

Boat: Present Sundeck Trawler, 42'

Tough process. Before finalizing on your boat name, try entering it into the Coast Guard’s “Vessel By Name” website for documented boat names to see if there others with the same name. You can still use the name, it is just that you might want yours to be unique or one of a few.

Office of Science and Technology

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mannix2 is offline   Reply With Quote