Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2010, 16:54   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Originally Posted by ROAD RUNNER View Post
Hey--- I have never made 450 sailing a boat---sounds great!
I specifically said powerboats not sailing. Not a chance in hell you're getting $450 out of a sailor

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:00   #32

Boat: Riviera 35
Yeah. Boatpoker is right about not having owners aboard - they frighten the life out of ya and it's difficult to maintain control of events. They are not all the same though. To be fair, I've had some good ones - usually sailboats.

If you were working USA waters Road Runner, I would almost certainly go for USCG certification. However, once you have the appropriate USCG Tickets, there is nothing to stop you gaining the RYA/MCA qualifications, simply by reading the RYA course specifications for any different material, then going strait in for the two and three day exams as appropriate. You don't have to do everything all over again for the RYA - experience counts for a lot.

Also note, that $450 a day, works out at just over $10 an hour for a crew of two - in deliveries you quite often work 24 hour days on the longer jobs. Boatpokers advices are good.

A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:42   #33

Boat: seawind II Patience
Cheapest way is to get a deckhand job on oilfield boat (think about *120/day) now.Or for that matter towboat.Used to be 186 days sea time for license.Usually work schedules 14 on 14 off.During off time take courses for license .Probably can take courses on line.Things have changed but used to have 50 ton all you would need.Later through ed or exp add a sailing endorsement.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 15:18   #34

Now I am leaning towards a IYT International Yacht master offshore certificate; with a 200 T USCG certificate. In any case there are many things to do to build up to that level. These ratings involve lots of time on water so, buying a boat like I planned anyway, is going to take on new urgency. Thank you all for the help, it has all been useful; and feel free to keep it coming.

ROAD RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: