Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2011, 23:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Name Ideas For New Sailing Life Channel...

I'll be sailing with a film crew from LA, down Baja, to Galapagos, through the French Polynesians to NZ/OZ in 2012.

Since I'll be creating 4 different TV shows from the content we film over the course of the next 11 months, I need a name for a centralized youtube channel, website and possibly umbrella corp/production corp name for the group of shows. Of course later, I'll be trying to figure out the names of the four individual shows!

For now, I'm just hoping to get some input for an umbrella name to tie them all together so we can start pre-production and promotion.

Any ideas?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 01:47   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Something around zephyr? Zephyr productions or? No idea if this has been done but has a sail flare while sounding generic. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 02:12   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Name Ideas For New Sailing Life Channel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
For now, I'm just hoping to get some input for an umbrella name to tie them all together so we can start pre-production and promotion.

Any ideas?
A website name will be a bit of a pig to get a "Good" one .

Therefore I would go for something made up (easy to spell, type and pronounce) and non-specific so can be re-used (or expanded) for something else (unrelated to boats / this venture)....like "Bumfuzzle" , so can be branded underneath as "Bumfuzzle - The Wild Adventure!" and still be used for something like "Bumfuzzle - Mud Wrestling Crack Ho's" .

FWIW and IMO (blah, blah, blah ) what you are essentially trying to do is create a vehicle to attach advertising onto.....for others to use. I would consider (as a 5th version?!) trying to work out how that advertising could be exploited by you (if it is any good as an advertising medium then a shame to pass all the gravy onto someone else).....doesn't mean you need to become the shopping channel, nor be stuffing envelopes yourself - but 20% (plus? ) on product direct to viewers / consumers means not so beholden to those with a casting couch .

Of course ideas are cheap
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 03:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

repairing boat in exotic places.com............

supermarkets and not so" super" markets of the south pacific.com

DHL in the south pacific.com

The K.I.S.S. factor.........................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 03:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and another.....

Things that go BUMP in the night.com...............................
Old 18-12-2011, 10:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and another one......

HOW I SPENT THE KIDS INHERITANCE IN ONE YEAR................
Old 18-12-2011, 10:12   #7

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

What Earthquake??
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A website name will be a bit of a pig to get a "Good" one .

Therefore I would go for something made up (easy to spell, type and pronounce) and non-specific so can be re-used (or expanded) for something else (unrelated to boats / this venture)....like "Bumfuzzle" , so can be branded underneath as "Bumfuzzle - The Wild Adventure!" and still be used for something like "Bumfuzzle - Mud Wrestling Crack Ho's" .

FWIW and IMO (blah, blah, blah ) what you are essentially trying to do is create a vehicle to attach advertising onto.....for others to use. I would consider (as a 5th version?!) trying to work out how that advertising could be exploited by you (if it is any good as an advertising medium then a shame to pass all the gravy onto someone else).....doesn't mean you need to become the shopping channel, nor be stuffing envelopes yourself - but 20% (plus? ) on product direct to viewers / consumers means not so beholden to those with a casting couch .

Of course ideas are cheap
I'm not trying to create a sailing portal to get ad revenue at all. Not sure where your thoughts are all coming from....

This is for a TV show, and the the page will be no different than the network pages you see promoting a TV show or movie, with trailers, contests, etc. You will not find ONE show or movie out there without product placement or brand integration, and believe me, advertisers pay to to get that exposure. I'm not interested in making money from advertisers on page views or click-throughs. I want to make TV and movies and advertising, particularly in TV is the be all and end off of that. Many times the advertisers are on board before production starts. When they are not, the networks invest in the production based on business logic surrounding their ability to sell advertising around it later.
Old 18-12-2011, 15:00   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Coconut Harvest, is there a prize?
Old 18-12-2011, 15:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Coconut Harvest, is there a prize?
Actually, it's one of the promotions we're working on.... We set up the main page with a synopsis for each show. There are four - each a series in its own right. We then have a contest where we ask viewers to submit name ideas. Maybe another contest for the design of a logo. Then award prizes. So the answer is....maybe.
Old 18-12-2011, 15:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

unfortunately due to the limited space,the monotonos routine,sailing boats,unless very large ones with lots of money to spend......don't make very good tv.

please prove us wrong as it would be very nice to find a new angel on long distance passaging that we may all have missed....instead of a rehashed boring travel documentary..................
Old 18-12-2011, 15:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

That's because in general, documentaries are boring. I think it's also because, the people producing the shows, are sailors and not directors with experience making movies and TV. I'm the opposite. Plus I understand business, demographics, etc. That's why there will be different shows derived from the broad amount of content we get, so we can target each one effectively and deliver content that is both appealing and compelling to each. We'll see.

P.S. And yes there will be a T&A version. There's a market for that too. But it will be (reasonably) tasteful.
Old 18-12-2011, 15:28   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

tits and ass now yr talking..... best of luck....sorry don't mean to come across as negative,just seen a lot of wannabees out there over the last 3 circumnavigations
Old 18-12-2011, 16:03   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Maybe? That means NO. No prize? I'm not playing. What sort of budget do you have.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:05   #15
Marine Service Provider

No I hear ya. I owned an ad agency called Enter360 Media for 9 years, but sold my client portfolio in early 2008. In that capacity I worked on commercials, TV shows, corporate and web video. Since 2008 I've been working on movies. As a CEO and Creative Director, I also understand business, am quite skilled with project management, am a pretty accomplished creative and coming from an ad agency, understand that critical component to TV and movies and perhaps even more importantly...demographics.

I've been a professional photographer for over 20 years as well and have had hundreds maybe thousands of images published in magazines, catalogs, web sites and some newspapers.

I had already worked with video cameras on numerous occassions, but in 2008 I bought all of the pro equipment I needed to make my own movies and worked full time training and using it, and finally went to New York Film Academy in LA to take acting, because I was told it would make me a better director, which it did. It's easier now to understand what the talent needs and how to communicate with and guide them to get the best performance possible, and sometimes that means just letting them do their thing and shutting up.

I've worked on over 27 projects (lost count) since March 2011. I'm also a published writer and have a well developed TV show that's circulating and I hope will be picked up and have 6 feature screenplays dating back to 2002 that I plan to develop and shoot when I have time and money. Because I've been a photographer for so long, I understand composition, lighting and how to tell a story in one image. Cinematography is easy compared to that aside from learning some tricks, technique and some basic rules that effect editing. When I write, I can see the camera angles, lighting, which lens I would need, dolly shots, steadicams, drill rigs, cranes. It's all right there in my head as I write. I also understand the Hollywood formula for movies, and the formula for tv. It's a lot more structured than most people outside the industry realize, and if things don't follow it, good luck selling your finished product.

Lastly, I edit. I'm not as good as those who do it full time, but I've done complete TV episodes, so when I write or shoot, I can also visualize where the cuts will be, and what shots need to be there to tie everything together - technically, visually and to drive the story. I probably won't do the siting for the shows myself, other than maybe some webisodes and behind the scenes footage for the website/blog, but it is an advantage in that it will help ensure the editor has what he needs and help me communicate what I want in the finished product, with an understanding of the limitations and costs involved and also, the possibilities that can be done in post.

So....there's a huge difference between myself and someone sailing around with Handycams editing their footage on iMovie. No disrespect to them...if they are on TV that's already a huge accomplishment. But again, without blowing my own horn too much, my product will be much different.

Tags
sailing