Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-04-2014, 08:02   #46

Boat: still dreaming and scheming.
Re: My First Boat

Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
Hi Sailing4Free,

To give you an example (may apply to some or not to others) I am a beginner-intermediate sailor. I've had my own sailboat (32 feet) for three years now, and had instruction on and off again for a couple of years before that.

I recently did a 50 nautical mile solo coastal trip with near gale conditions in two meter seas. It was all I could handle and exactly what I wanted to handle at the time. But I couldn't have done it without hurting myself or my boat a year ago.

Whats helped me is going out for day sails regularly, gradually going out in more challenging conditions. Start out in very mild conditions where there is barely enough wind (less that 10 knots) to get going in flat seas. There is much more time to react and figure out what to do safely. Then gradually go out in choppier conditions or with higher wind gusts to practice practical things like reefing down and avoiding uncontrolled jibes, roundups or breeches. You might find you have no time to think and react if you have not had the prior practice in easier conditions. An autopilot helps, but also requires practice and understanding how your autopilot works in various conditions.

Another thing that took time was finding out what kind of condition my boat was in. You can't count on a boat you buy being sea worthy even with a pre-purchase survey. It takes a lot of familiarity with the boat to know where the skeletons are buried. Mine was not that bad, but it took patience to uncover the systems that needed improvement and money to do the improvement even what I was able to do myself. There is still much to do to make my boat 'cruise ready.'

For me night sailing, overnight sailing is the next step, but I'll probably get my instructor to do the first one with me.

Hope my beginner's stories help get you ready for your trip.
Great post. Tactful and informative and not at all dream-crushing. It's discouraging when people new to sailing or getting ready to learn come here with real questions and get made fun of. This site sometimes reminds me of high school and has certainly made me afraid to ask questions. Luckily I have made a few "real-life" people who have been patient with my questions.

Old timers, keep in mind that using slang that is common with experienced sailors and making fun of others who haven't learned those terms doesn't make you look more intelligent, only less tolerant and helpful.

I don't know much about sailing, but I know a lot about a few other helpful things and I can't for a second think of ridiculing someone for having simple questions about my industry.

AliRodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:13   #47

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Here ya go, 23ft trailered boat for $1200.. not going to take you offshore,
but get you out on the water, learn to sail. Live in for a few weeks to see what your getting into, even in the sfbay it can get quite choppy.
Can always sell it later.

Coastal Marine Aquarius 23 Sail Boat

MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Originally Posted by sailingtofree View Post
ok everyone i cam here for advice, and i got it good bad ugly whatever, that what i wanted, i dont have experience in this route so those that do need to speak up (as they have done) true there is a lot to consider, still it would be nice to do it though, i bet it would be a helluva trip and with the folks here helping me along the way i bet i would avoid many pitfalls, thats whats so great about these forums the good and bad, only difference from the usual forum is THESE people are and have sailed so they KNOW what they are talking about, i am thankful that no one fluffed their feathers, all the people here have water under their keels, which is more then i can say for me in a long time, still i am ambitious and BTW the reason as i pointed out for this trip wasnt so much adventure as it was point a to point b via point c-z LOL

But what a trip this would have been

to see more about my crazy adventures check out the now archived website of my journey across the USA

thanks guys

MySpectacularJourney ... Join Me On The Road To Adventure - Welcome To MySpectacularJourney!
I truly hope you don't give up on the trip. Yes, it would be great. I've only done the part from SD to Cabo San Lucas and found it fascinating. That'd be a good month's sailing with fun stops along the way. The time I've been through the canal was on a Navy Cruiser so that doesn't count when compared to small boat sailing.

If you start your journey in small steps and learn as you go you'll make it. Don't count on it being cheap though. A first class airline ticket to Florida will cost you much less.

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: