Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 15:17   #16

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: My First Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If he buys in Florida, he won't experience the trip.

It is unrealistic to think you'll find a $5,000 boat ready to sail half-way around the world in a couple months, both boat and skipper will need a lot more time before undertaking such a voyage, at least with expectations for a good outcome.

You might consider getting a trailered sailboat, and trailer it to the places you want to sail, it will cost a lot less to cross over to the gulf via a trailer vs panama canal.

$5000? He said the $2700 Cal 20 was ridiculously out of his price range. That trip ain't never gonna happen. Lol.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 15:24   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

If you expect to get a working boat for less than a working motorcycle, you need to start over.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
If you expect to get a working boat for less than a working motorcycle, you need to start over.
I am sick of this world and everyone thinking that everyone has to buy something ritzy pitzy, NOT ALL boats have to cost 40k (the majority of boats that are priced 40k are WORTH less then 5 tbh), the scooter i used to make my cross country trip cost less then 900 bucks, ill find a boat if im going to go through with this mark my words!
sailingtofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:09   #19

oh just to add something, when i moved to key west i was going to buy a boat awhile ago, i found a peirson triton 30 footer with a yanmar in it for 1500, it had a missing hatch cover and the sail cover was torn, other then that the boat was in good shape, not everyone is overpricing and overselling their boats, though on the west coast i see alot of people pricing their boats so high they will never sell them in this economy,

Ill find a boat!
Old 10-04-2014, 16:14   #20
cruiser

My First Boat

Take any $1500 boat and try running the 30 year old engine for 24 hours straight.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Take any $1500 boat and try running the 30 year old engine for 24 hours straight.
well obviously i wasnt going to do that it was supposed to be for a liveaboard, but the engine did work!
Old 10-04-2014, 16:44   #22
cruiser

I was referring to the new boat your trying to acquire.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 18:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Sailtofree,

Sailing from S.F. to Florida isn't driving a scooter across the country, it closer to going into space.
Good luck
Have you ever crossed the country on a tiny little machine, faced with traffic, people, breakdowns, weather, its not easy at all nowhere near as simple as you would think

Going to space, i dont know if i would go that far.... but i love the flair for the dramatic in that statement
Old 10-04-2014, 19:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingtofree View Post
Have you ever crossed the country on a tiny little machine, faced with traffic, people, breakdowns, weather, its not easy at all nowhere near as simple as you would think

Going to space, i dont know if i would go that far.... but i love the flair for the dramatic in that statement

Again, your lack of sailing experience shows. You have absolutely no idea what a passage entails or the mental and physical demands. What I said was it was closer to going to space than crossing the country where if you get tired or hungry you stop, if it rains you find an overpass. Lots of places to turn for help. At sea, not so much, especially when short handed.

Yes I have crossed the country in a tiny little machine, a '65 Austin Healey Sprite, pretty much a modified go cart. Had 2 potentially trip ending break-downs. Did it on a shoe string budget, in desert heat and mountain thunderstorms. By the way, most of us deal with traffic, people and weather every day.
Old 10-04-2014, 20:13   #25

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

RedSky was rude, but it is unrealistic to go from sf to fl in two month time when you have no boat and no experience. unrealistic is polite way of saying it isn't going to happen.
You might find someone else sailing south from sf and crew on their boat, this will give you a lot of experience and not cost very much. Maybe find more crew opportunity all the way to florida, and then buy a boat there, they are much cheaper in florida because there are so many of them.
There are lots of people that can help you here, just ignore rude comments, we all make them from time to time, and spend time reading the newbie threads, lots of info.
Old 10-04-2014, 20:27   #26

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
There are lots of people that can help you here, just ignore rude comments, we all make them from time to time, and spend time reading the newbie threads, lots of info.
The OP has made the rudest comments on this thread.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 20:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
The OP has made the rudest comments on this thread.
he is right, i was only looking for some advice on a first boat, if i make the pasage its on my head, but SUPPORT from the community would be great, i realize the odds, and i am quite aware redsky of the challenges ahead, i was watching "all is lost" the other day, very good movie, man did he get his bell rung,

Anyway i digress i just want the thread to be about potential pitfalls when i do find a boat to look at, and ways to make sure the trip can be as safe as possible

And i can be rude, sometimes i lash out, like the sea to a weary sailor
Old 10-04-2014, 20:39   #28

Quote:
RedSky was rude,

You might find someone else sailing south from sf and crew on their boat, this will give you a lot of experience and not cost very much.

just ignore rude comments, we all make them from time to time, and spend time reading the newbie threads, lots of info.

Lol he was rude and so was i as explained already, as for crewing i wish i could i have scavenged the places the usual suspects as always and had no luck, im not saying i wouldnt be open to doing that, it would be a blast

I make the comments myself lol so im just as guilty as the next drunken sailor lol
Old 10-04-2014, 20:40   #29

Quote:
RedSky was rude, but it is unrealistic to go from sf to fl in two month time when you have no boat and no experience. unrealistic is polite way of saying it isn't going to happen.

You might find someone else sailing south from sf and crew on their boat, this will give you a lot of experience and not cost very much. Maybe find more crew opportunity all the way to florida, and then buy a boat there, they are much cheaper in florida because there are so many of them.

How was I rude? My lol? My personal opinion that the trip wasn't gonna happen?
Old 10-04-2014, 20:44   #30

Quote:
they are much cheaper in florida because there are so many of them.
cheaper in FL, i was under the impression they are carrying a helluva markup for that area, as seems to be with boats everywhere

I was once told the two most important things about boats from a wise sailor in the florida straits

B.O.A.T. = Bring On Another Thousand

Two happiest days of a boat owners life, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it