Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 12:49   #1

Medical Professional Cruising

Hello!

I have done some searches for people who are living aboard/cruising who are medical professionals. I was hoping to find out how people in the medical field might be able to work part time while in the Keys or US VI. If it's even possible to do this. (Pretty sure there would be no option in non-US areas due to licensure, etc)

I hope to someday sail around, live the dream. I have a military retirement income which may be enough if I am very careful, but have a little bit of debt I have to get rid of before I can even think about doing it. I am working hard to accomplish this.

But maybe I could do it earlier if it were possible to pick up short time/part time positions in urgent cares or something as a mid level provider (I am a PA) I am currently licensed in Florida so can easily get credentials in the Keys or areas near there if there were positions.

I am learning to sail in Pensacola, and love this area, but it seems to me if I were living on a boat closer to the Bahamas/ Caribbean it would be easier to sail over intermittently.

Anyway, if anyone happens to have any pointers?

Kyle Cooper
kyle654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 13:32   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Medical Professional Cruising

I'd look to employment agencies in those locales, there are placement programs for temps in almost anything anywhere these days.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:22   #3

Boat: Nauticat 40 (1985)

I've been looking at this myself. Flying to the US to work a temp (we call them "locum") contract is the best option. Civilian medical providers can also work on military bases and US embassies in any state or foreign country as long as the provider has a valid medical license in any US state.

Some locum agencies specialize in this area. If the stars were to align, perhaps I could work at the base in Guam or American Samoa when the cruising kitty runs dry from drinking all the fine French wine in Polynesia.
Korvessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 13:16   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

travel nurse agencies for registered nurses exist just for this need.
if there are agencies for the work you do, they may also have a travel division.
the travel nurse agencies make sure you have proper credentials for working out of country.
they are all amenable to inquisitive souls
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:27   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I knew about dentists with a chair on their sailboat: Good deal for a fellow cruiser with a toothache.
An ER Doctor may come in handy for that mayday call in the anchorage but I doubt he or she could make a decent living doing the above while sailing into the horizon.
A diesel mechanic with a decent size spare and filter inventory may do great however.
Or a canvas pro with an onboard sewing machine and rolls of umbrella in the bilge.
Old 19-02-2018, 20:06   #6

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Kyle, your 'PA' qualifications stands for Physician Assistant?
I can only comment on the Australian scene: there are numerous agencies that broker (tempory) employment (locum positions). This is only one of them:
https://www.medrecruit.com/
The hardest part could be getting the right to practice in another country.
Although for nurses that is a lot easier than doctors. And in your case, it could possibly easier to get qualified to work here as a Nurse Practitioner.

Tags
cal, cruising, medical