Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 13:09   #1

Boat: grampian 26
Question Marine Mechanic

Is there a need for marine a marine mechanics services for cruisers in far off places? I have signed up for a college course in marine mechanics this fall and was wondering if this is a viable way to keep the loot flowing into the cruising kitty.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
The answer is YES, definitely.The main problem is you will get too much work & not enough cruising if you're not careful, especially if you can service outboards as well. Another problem is taking work off locals. It pays to fly well under the radar as there willbe peoplelooking. Best to try & restrict it to smaller villageareas and throw in some free wok for the locals to keep them happy. I subsidised a large part of my cruising pulling wrenches on other cruising boats but also conducted outboard maintenance courses for the locals. Seemed to keep them happy.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:20   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Perchance,
It may work out there in Fiji, but don't try it here in Bermuda unless you want your boat seized and you deported, after appearing in court.
Even though we in trhe sailing community object strongly, it is the reason visiting yachts are generally only allowed 21 days, I think, on their initial stay approval. One can apply for a longer stay for a number of reasons, and it is generally approved. In the spirit of oneness, we sailors often jump in and help a mate. The authorities don't see it that way.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:59   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
When did Bermuda change that?

The stay time.

I was there for 3 1/2 Months...no problem I guess becuase we were giving a lot of work to local craftsmen.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 19:19   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Chief,

I can't paste the link.
Go to Bermuda.com, and scroll down to "Visiting yachts and their crews". Been the rule for a few years now.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 21:04   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Not to discourage you..all of us sailors dream

From my experience, most long range cruisers are pretty handy with performing their own maintenance and repairs. Many of them have limited resources to pay..or (which has been my experience) leave without paying. I had to track one guy (from B.C). all the way to the Carribeann ....In remote areas prepare to accept what is the "living wage" that is native to the area.

What kind of shop are you going to have aboard your boat?

What kind of common parts will you carry?

You would probably be better off being able to do a little of everything.
There are going to be other opinions, but a dream is still a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Is there a need for marine a marine mechanics services for cruisers in far off places? I have signed up for a college course in marine mechanics this fall and was wondering if this is a viable way to keep the loot flowing into the cruising kitty.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 21:47   #7

Boat: Columbia 22
This is something I have been exploring as well Ie how to make a living From the Boat Etc Ive had a few different Ideas The Mechanic thing being one of em But how to have the tools etc For more than the most basic of repairs would be a problem Id think. I have an oppurtunity to buy an industrial sewing machine and Was thinking Sail Repairs etc Might not be a bad way to go any Thoughts on that ?
Columbia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 00:40   #8

Boat: Tayana 48
My .02 cents worth (and well worth it!)...

Sail repair...not enough need for this to keep the $ rolling in. Many boats have sewing machines, or know someone who does. Free repair is the norm, not the exception.

Marine mechanic...we are talking about an almost endless combination of variables here. Multiple sizes of multiply-inter-connected complex systems mounted in multiple ways...each system with multiple points of failure. Lots of multiples. My point is, unless you have been a mechanic for a lifetime, and have it "in your blood", taking a few classes will not prepare you to realistically address the issues you will be asked to fix. Yes, some people can do it, but they are the savants of the mechanics' world. And carrying the parts supplies necessary is a daunting, and very expensive (and heavy) proposition.

My (almost) serious advise...buy an ice maker. People will flock to your boat for happy hour. They will bring food, so you don't need to buy any. A penny saved...

John

Tags
mechanic