Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 17:20   #376

Boat: Columbia 29 MKI Hull #13
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I was a Jeweler for 25 years and am refitting my Columbia C29 for a extended cruise. While refitting the cabin I am removing the V berth and building in a jewelers bench or "shop" if you will.
In the shop I will be able to paint designs,"watercolors of course" carve waxes, invest, casting "to be done on the bow", size rings, fabricate rings, set stones and clean and polish jewelry.
Everything that a Jeweler should be able to do. Just on a sailboat!
Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:44   #377
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripples View Post
I was a Jeweler for 25 years and am refitting my Columbia C29 for a extended cruise. While refitting the cabin I am removing the V berth and building in a jewelers bench or "shop" if you will.
In the shop I will be able to paint designs,"watercolors of course" carve waxes, invest, casting "to be done on the bow", size rings, fabricate rings, set stones and clean and polish jewelry.
Everything that a Jeweler should be able to do. Just on a sailboat!
I plan to put all the woodworking skills I learned while rebuilding my boat's interior to work.
My boat was originally designed to have a workbench in the forward cabin, I have a band saw,table saw, routing table, drill press and will end up with a fairly complete wood shop...with the woodwork in my boat as a show case. The bunk in the main cabin fits two, but for when I have a crew that wants a private bunk, the work bench will convert.
Old 04-03-2012, 20:29   #378
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

I guess selling your skills and that what you can make with your hands is one way but challenging countries laws and bylaws can be a real bummer!
I am of the opinion that one should create an income in the country you come from to live from while cruising. Whatever else may pop up to score a few bucks is fine, but should not be the alfa and the omega.
I am in joint partnership with my son in a business and my share minus uncle tax's bit is my cruising money. It works for me and yea it took a few years to set up!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:02   #379
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I wrapped a car around a tree, worked enough. paid into the system enough and screw up my brain enough so my social security disability (a little over $1000/mo) is my cruising fund.
Old 04-03-2012, 22:03   #380

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilitary View Post
What about Dive Instructor? I'm currently a Divemaster and have thought about making the investment if it would finance longterm sailing expeditions. What do ya'll think? Any opportunities for diver to make the mullah?
Tough Gig. Aren't too many who have successfully made a business out of it without a shopfront in a high volume area. Making the investment to finance quality longterm sailing expeditions will require plenty of capital and return on investment will be questionable.

Good luck
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 23:26   #381

Boat: Still Looking

The way I see it, most cruisers will have a small monthly income e.g. investment or savings and will need to stretch/supplement this income to be able to cruise. (talking about +- 2 year circumnavigation). I plan to have pipe bending equimpment and welding equipment to be able to fabricate beamies and any other stainless requirements. This will not sustain me completely, but the odd job here and there could supplement my income and keep me under the radar. What I think would work better is carrying trade goods. As you sail around the world, there are always things in short supply(expensive) and things in over supply(cheep). It makes sense to buy the cheap stuff and sell the expensive stuff. The bonus is that you will be selling in the currency that you need for supplies eg food, fuel and spares.

The trick is to know which items are needed in which place and where to get them cheep. It also helps to have a large enough boat to carry all these ietems. Also with a large enough boat you can buy a large amount of diesel in the cheaper places and save money by not having to purchase in the expensive places. This is stretching you money(making the same money do more)
SPARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 14:05   #382

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Does anyone know what the customs people say/do when a boat comes in with a "shop" (machine, wood, whatever) on board?
Old 05-03-2012, 14:18   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Does anyone know what the customs people say/do when a boat comes in with a "shop" (machine, wood, whatever) on board?
Lumber can be a problem at many borders, irrespective of labour laws. They worry about the bugs that hide in it.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 14:26   #384

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Years ago I was refused entry into the USA from Canada, due to the fact I had a welder and tools in the trunk. They were convinced I was going over to work.
Old 05-03-2012, 16:53   #385

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

the PArdeys say that swaging is always in demand, as is whipping....personally i couldn't bring myself to charge tho .... what do you think?
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:55   #386

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

i liked that idea - especially the web side of it. can i ask roughly how many hours per day is required, and what basic web software is good to start with for click throughs etc? thnx Capn John
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:35   #387
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
This will not sustain me completely, but the odd job here and there could supplement my income and keep me under the radar.
There might be a better way to look at it but I doubt it's been said here before so well. Should you find yourself in a place finding a lot of work and creating a market then the radar may be your undoing. People by their nature tend to settle in. Getting rooted some place exposes you for what you really are - and illegal worker!

Feeding off other cruisers stays off the radar the best and can be all done with cash. You avoid the local economy even if you do clash with local suppliers of the same trade. It's internationally agreed that illegal workers are pretty much low life and deserve what they get. Getting on the radar has it's risks beyond just the law. Staying too long to work a job just begs for trouble!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:24   #388

New to the forums so apologies if this has been covered already but it seems like the Fulfilled-By-Amazon business model(i.e. selling through Amazon where inventories are stocked and fulfilled from Amazon's fulfillment centers) in combination with cruisers frequenting remote locations and able to pick interesting products that can be sent to those Amazon centers, can be a very good, low-maintenance revenue stream that is perfectly legal and compatible with the lifestyle. Most communications are handled via emails and customer support including handling returns are automatically handled by Amazon. May need some revolving capital to make purchases and shipping expenses but can be as low or as high as a person's comfort level.
AirHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:04   #389
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Amazon fulfillment can be a hit or miss thing. From what I gather, popular things that sell regularly are actually stockpiled with Amazon. But an awful lot of stuff is NOT stocked, it is held by the merchant and then batch-shipped to Amazon once or twice a week, etc. for reshipping or shipped directly from the mechant.

Human presence and intervention still needed.

There are lots of late-night infomercials, have been for decades, on how you can be a catalogue reseller (predates the internet) by showing people your catalogue, and then when they order the actual company drop ships to them. You could certainly sail with your catalogues and "bring the store" with you. Heck, salesmen have done that for two hundred years too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:59   #390
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

There are lots of late-night infomercials, have been for decades, on how you can be a catalogue reseller (predates the internet) by showing people your catalogue, and then when they order the actual company drop ships to them. You could certainly sail with your catalogues and "bring the store" with you. Heck, salesmen have done that for two hundred years too.
It comes down to supply chain, which is Amazon's secret, and if you can get the goods in a reasonable time I would think it would be workable. It might be seen as a grey area legally in some countries but I suppose as long as the money exchange takes place in a bank back home ...

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle