Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 17:43   #241
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

never heard of timmies.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 18:26   #242

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
never heard of timmies.
Cause you live way to sheltered a life!
Old 23-10-2011, 18:28   #243

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"licensed diesel mechanic"
In Canada, you need a government license to be a diesel mechanic? I've heard of many certifications, but never a government license--anywhere--to be a mechanic.
At least here in the States, a "license" comes from a government agency. All we've got are privately certified mechanics, and whether that's ASE or "dealer brand"...it still doesn't guarantee any skill level, and you can't put the guys out of work by pulling their "license". Unlike doctors and varying other alleged professionals, who often must be licensed before they can hand a shingle out and work.
All provinces I am aware of have a 4 year apprentice program for regular and heavy duty (diesel) mechanics.

And yes, their licenses can be pulled.
Old 23-10-2011, 18:31   #244
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Cause you live way to sheltered a life!
lived too far south of the canuckistanian border----
there is a licensing procedure in mexico also, i have learned.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:29   #245
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You clearly don't speak Canuck! It's a coffee from a chain that bears the name of a dead hockey player, Tim Horton.
I remember a place called Hortons while in Moncton..any relation? they had bread products I think and coffee...never got the Timmies though..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:40   #246
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

ok I saw the good mourning america video and yes I have had a 'Timmies' and I thought about the franchise being a viable business in the US..also thought about a Waffle House franchise for the Maritimes..after driving from NC to PEI(loved those fast cat ferrys) and I loved Canada and the friendly and honest people that I met...I thought it was called Hortons and i still think about it as a business opportunity every now and then..just a few weeks back as a matter of fact...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:50   #247

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
ok I saw the good mourning america video and yes I have had a 'Timmies' and I thought about the franchise being a viable business in the US..also thought about a Waffle House franchise for the Maritimes..after driving from NC to PEI(loved those fast cat ferrys) and I loved Canada and the friendly and honest people that I met...I thought it was called Hortons and i still think about it as a business opportunity every now and then..just a few weeks back as a matter of fact...DVC
From their website, if you want a franchise:
Franchise Cost: $430,000 to $480,000* plus all applicable taxes (this includes a drive-thru)

Additional Working Capital: (start-up costs) $50,000 (unencumbered)
That would buy a pretty nice boat
Old 24-10-2011, 02:31   #248
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"licensed diesel mechanic"
In Canada, you need a government license to be a diesel mechanic? I've heard of many certifications, but never a government license--anywhere--to be a mechanic.
Me neither, but licensing Estate Agents and Yacht Brokers was a new one on me also - how's that working out?

Must be nice to have Govts with so much money to burn on keeping folk "safe" (from themselves ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 07:47   #249

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You clearly don't speak Canuck! It's a coffee from a chain that bears the name of a dead hockey player, Tim Horton.
I remember when I was 'muckin aboot and gettin pissed'
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 11:36   #250

Boat: Skookum 53'

After being overseas for a couple of months, I came home to find my new calling they have it right there on TV, called "Storage Wars" it seems that you can buy abandon storage lockers and they are filled with valuable items and sometimes cash money! All you have to do is buy one of these for $500.00 and then sell the contents for $3000.00, all you have to have is a truck to haul off all your booty! To get started I imagine you could rent a U-haul truck until you got some money ahead, then buy your own truck with the profits! Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup!
Old 24-10-2011, 13:48   #251
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Waffle House...Come to think of it, I have never seen a waffle iron on a boat. I mean, a proper electric "cooks both sides at once and evenly" waffle iron, not just a stovetop grill.

So there you go! Buy a couple of waffle irons, a barrel of good syrup, hold "New England Waffle Breakfasts" every weekend on the boat, and charge folks to come join you. Of course, the real money is to be made franchising out the operation--not just doing it once yourself.

Heck, I'll sell franchises at $19,995 for a limited time only, including one inverter, four waffle irons, and twenty pounds of premium waffle mix. Various grades of syrup and butter, optional and extra AND if you act right now, I'll even let the franchisee buy those from their own sources, as long as they're made in the US of A.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 11:33   #252

Something that requires less capital would be writing.

No, not for sailing magazines, but How To books!

How to get rich books are really hot now. Lots of topices too....

Number one is real estate, buy and flip houses, buy notes at a discount or buy foreclosures and rent them. Those who write them don't have a clue, mostly hipe and marketing, so don't worry about the details, they don't.

Home baking companies, handyman businesses, credit counselors are hot too.

Remember, the more you charge the more valuable your advice will be preceived!

Yes, this was a spoof!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 23:04   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Why not create a travel agency/charter company that charges to go on a vacation aboard a cruising yacht?

That could probably work. I chartered once and they all claimed to have a relationship with the crew.
This appeals to me. Like having house guests. Don't forget the insurance requirements and perhaps your operators licencing. Boat guests would be fun to have around after having a meeting to establish compatibiliy - especially for longer cruises. Would be less costly for the guests than chartering a boat themselves, less riskly and more informative. A proportion of the costs of your boat would become tax deductable.
BillBeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:23   #254

Boat: Baba 35

I recently just closed down my business of 7 years. The market was hard enough as it is, but I figured it had to be done to fit into our sail plan coming up in the next 2 years anyway. Theres little room for owning a walk in retail business and cruising. Heh.

I actually went back to application development and have been relearning all the programming that I learned in High School and college. The trick I think is to produce something that is relatively self-sustainable without you being present and requiring a ton of staff to maintain in your absence. So, I have been working with a few chaps on an iPad app hoping to release it into the wild this coming spring.

The hope is that the revenue just glides into my account while I am offshore. Its funny, the last few months of coding I have been sitting at my desk at home on a laptop, the thought crossed my mind that I could do this at a Nav Table in teh Windwards and there would be no difference in productivity except a lot of much needed fresh air.

Anything that can produce income without you actually having to be accessible is the trick. Some suggest Day trading, but I think that is difficult. Leaving an instrument open by accident and finding out 1 week later when you roll into wifi access that it went south would be devastating. I've lost money turning my back for 2 mins making a pot of coffee with S&P orders open. I couldnt handle not being able to check on my orders during a long passage, it would drive me mad.

I have a friend that is a web developer that often goes on long multi month hiking trips, he creates assets and uses a service that sells them for him. While hes hiking, hes making money. That was my inspiration for going back to development.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08   #255

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBeggs View Post
This appeals to me. Like having house guests. Don't forget the insurance requirements and perhaps your operators licencing. Boat guests would be fun to have around after having a meeting to establish compatibiliy - especially for longer cruises. Would be less costly for the guests than chartering a boat themselves, less riskly and more informative. A proportion of the costs of your boat would become tax deductable.
This is well discussed in the thread - Chartering-Out Your Boat without OUPV
Basically the problems are quite involved and the market is already saturated.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle