Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 22:08   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Lets talk jobs in demand or up and coming:

- drug running
A couple of fellows brought a million bucks worth of cocaine into Port Hardy on a sailboat recently. I learned about it second hand of course ... maybe that was third hand, yes, smugglers one, police two, CBC radio three. At the time I wondered about the choice of vessel, "Quick, haul on that sheet. If we get another 1/4 knot out of her we might have a chance of out running them!" Hmmm ... I guess if it had have worked their sailing kitty would have been pretty sweet. Of course if they were sampling on route that jouney must have seemed awfully long. "Can't this thing go any faster ... look the dolphin just passed us! Hey, is that a camera floating on the wave. What you mean paranoid?"

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 01:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
A couple of fellows brought a million bucks worth of cocaine into Port Hardy on a sailboat recently. I learned about it second hand of course ... maybe that was third hand, yes, smugglers one, police two, CBC radio three. At the time I wondered about the choice of vessel, "Quick, haul on that sheet. If we get another 1/4 knot out of her we might have a chance of out running them!" Hmmm ... I guess if it had have worked their sailing kitty would have been pretty sweet. Of course if they were sampling on route that jouney must have seemed awfully long. "Can't this thing go any faster ... look the dolphin just passed us! Hey, is that a camera floating on the wave. What you mean paranoid?"
If you think that's bad read this: Two charged with smuggling Cuban rum, cigars into Southwest Florida » Naples Daily News
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 01:06   #18

And now I'm leary about taking bud light INTO the Bahamas to save $25 a case.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 04:29   #19
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
A couple of fellows brought a million bucks worth of cocaine into Port Hardy on a sailboat recently.

Sounds like they got too greedy! See what happens when you go from just feeding the crusiing kitty to trying to become rich instead!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 05:54   #20

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Did anyone mention male prostitution yet? I didn't think so....

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 06:30   #21

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Something I hadn't considered. I assume this would only apply to physical labor?? I can't imagine being told I can't write a book or software but maybe charting would fall into the illegal category??
Yes exactly, if you're working for a company in your home country it's fine!
Old 20-03-2010, 08:18   #22

I have a couple of business degrees so I could make a bunch of money so that I could pay off my student loans and house so that I could buy a boat so that I could circumnsavigate and stop worrying about the business world.

In hindsite, i could have saved some time and steps in there if i had not bought the house, incurrred the student debt and worked directly towards buying the boat. Man, I was an idiot in my teens, twenties, and most of my thirties. GIGGLE

Anyway, from a business perspective, you'd assumably want to keep it legal. I think maintaining a permenant address in the states and keeping a telecommuting position with sat-com on board, you'd be able to remain employed without worrying about legal issues while working in a foreign port. You'd still be technically living in the states and working in the states. i don't pay foreign taxes when i travel for my company to other countries.

From a cruising perspective, i'd think you'd want to keep it simple. Someone recommended to me that I should invest a year into some kind of simple skillset needed inside a marina. A/C work, simple engine repair, welding, refrigeration and fiberglass all come to mind. Anything needed for basic work on a boat or to support the comforts needed while living aboard could provide a basic income while crusing. There is always someone who needs thier A/C charged or their diesel looked into or upholstery to be resewn. You can also find most of the supplies for these trades in city or town near the marina (welding rods, upholstery material, refrigerant, spell check).

These skills can be swapped...you fix my boat, i'll fix yours... or, the total revenue incurred at any one location would be small enough that you could forego worrying about the tax burden (making such a small amount in the US, for example, wouldn't require the payment of taxes).

If anyone knows of a company that is hiring a telecommuter...let me know, i'm in the market
skeedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 09:23   #23

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
My guess is that the highest paying jobs would likely have a telecommuter aspect to it. I wonder is there is something that folks could create and would also buy or share for free with each other.

Charts seem like something that cruisers would universally want better information.

Maybe an online cruising guide that get's added to from the community? Are there any good ones out there?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 11:53   #24

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
A couple months back we made the decision to sell our canvas business and head out again..
But we soon move to plan "B" and we're taking the business "On The Road" or should I say "On The Water" ... I put the word out to kinda get replys to see if in fact there would be a use for custom canvas and a My Wife, a dress maker..
We posted it on a number of world cruising forums and the replys were outstanding as we recieved more than 60 replys saying "YES" we need work done.. And even to the point we've already set appointments for work to be done on our way south to Mexico..
So with a few mods, we're converting our industrial machines to portable, Having custon fold away tables made for the cockpit to turn our large area into a loft, and stocking up on a few rolls of fabric and sunbrella..
Because or 42 has an ample amount of extra room, we have more than enough room to keep the machines and still have our home on the water..
So for us, we'll be sewing our way around the world......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 12:34   #25

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
sewing our way around the world......
Excellent!!
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 19:00   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
I think someone who REALLY understands, and can fix, advanced boat electrics/-onics, will survive. Seen too much electrical equip that nobody could bite - gensets, inverters, chargers and even el panels. Surprisingly, my friend who is 'just a hobbyst' is better than most boat electricians I have seen making faces and then replacing the whole bloody thing rather than replacing the faulty element (!) And many boaters will gladly pay 25% for a fix than 100% for a new unit.

So, there is a potential here. Close to the water and can be taken on the road.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 19:59   #27

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Musician.
Floating restaurant/professional chef and server.?
Massage therapist.
All around handyman with all the tools.
Sell bags of ice (ice maker). Baked goods (oven).
Some herbs are always in high demand...

There's a few more.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 20:41   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Keep in mind...if you are doing mechanical/electrical work on another cruisers boat....they are "poor" too. You won't get anything near "yard rates"..........

I think you might make a few bucks here and there....but not much.............
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 03:50   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have a friend that does fix marine electronics and I mean really fix them. He is not living aboard but he requires quite a bit of access to information and he has a fair amount of tools with a small shop. To actually repair electronics is pretty hard. He is a dieing breed and in fact his age and health are failing.

Doing basic electrical work is not so hard. Doing it right is harder. Doing basic boat work can often find you better than the average boat owner at some trade. A little barter and exchange of beer is something you might just do because it is the nature of people to act that way. The cultivation of good will can often make up for small amounts of cash. If your needs are few then cash is of lessor importance.

To generate real cash from local commerce requires an attachment to some place so that word of mouth can bring in business. At that point you are not cruising but working for a living. It takes a lot more effort to complete tasks for money than to just lend a hand for some small exchange. Investment income paid in monthly checks would seem to be the better choice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 04:37   #30

Boat: Maxim 380, Stingo II
Send a message via Skype™ to GringoOnStingo
7. Canvas work including making courtesy flags.
8. Play the stock market.
9. Rental income from property.
10. Make and sell fishing lures.
11. Computer repairs for other cruisers.
GringoOnStingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle