Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25   #1411

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

You're a freaking genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Rob View Post
Sorry! For example. I built this site

Tow Truck, Towing, roadside assistance, Sicklerville NJ

Simple site nothing fancy. The key to the site is really good content that google likes.

And now that site pops up when you search towing in Sicklerville, camden, Vineland, Edison and a couple other places.

I attach a tracking number. And find a tow truck driver looking for more work. Every time someone calls that number it gets forwarded to a real tow truck driver. And he pays me a fee every month to "rent" my website.

Attachment 147320

And I have a bunch of sites I'm working on. Carpet cleaning, concrete, window tinting, car and boat detailing. So once I have about 20-25 sites paying me a monthly fee it won't stop.

And if for some reason the client stops paying I just find another tow driver or carpet cleaner.

The best part is I can build a website for any area so I can do this from remote locations and all I need is wifi.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56   #1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You're a freaking genius.

Well thank you. Now it's time to pay off all my debt. And start saving for the boat I want. And to actually follow through with my dream
SM Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:58   #1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Rob View Post
Sorry! For example. I built this site

www.towingsouthjersey.com

Simple site nothing fancy. The key to the site is really good content that google likes.

And now that site pops up when you search towing in Sicklerville, camden, Vineland, Edison and a couple other places.

I attach a tracking number. And find a tow truck driver looking for more work. Every time someone calls that number it gets forwarded to a real tow truck driver. And he pays me a fee every month to "rent" my website.

Attachment 147320

And I have a bunch of sites I'm working on. Carpet cleaning, concrete, window tinting, car and boat detailing. So once I have about 20-25 sites paying me a monthly fee it won't stop.

And if for some reason the client stops paying I just find another tow driver or carpet cleaner.

The best part is I can build a website for any area so I can do this from remote locations and all I need is wifi.
This is the same method that I've been using for my clients for the past year and a half.

But doing client work takes a lot of time and resources. It will be much simpler to keep the website asset.

Usually results start between 2-3 months. I have 1 lawyer client that gets $8000 per client and I charge him a flat fee of $1000 per month.

It's passive income.

I want to scale this up to building 10 sites per month. I have the process down and the personnel to make it happen.

$100,000 per month is easily achievable.

If anyone wants to know more message me.

I'd love to help others achieve their dreams.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:33   #1414

Boat: a sailing boat

You stepped in where I left off. At a point back maybe about 2007 or thereabout I noticed local (EU) market split towards stuff that people could easily do themselves online and stuff that was a full time job for people fully involved in the projects. But I do not want 8hrs of work a day as this makes any sensible outback travels impossible.

I am surprised (and happy for you) that you can make 100k a month. To me it was only ever 1 to 2k a month for any online work and only while I worked. With 100k a month any smart person can retire in a couple of months and then just roll it off the hill cruising in a small way till fed up and ready for another project.

Lucky U.

Have a fine summer. I hope you will find a moment to do some sailing too!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 10:11   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You stepped in where I left off. At a point back maybe about 2007 or thereabout I noticed local (EU) market split towards stuff that people could easily do themselves online and stuff that was a full time job for people fully involved in the projects. But I do not want 8hrs of work a day as this makes any sensible outback travels impossible.

I am surprised (and happy for you) that you can make 100k a month. To me it was only ever 1 to 2k a month for any online work and only while I worked. With 100k a month any smart person can retire in a couple of months and then just roll it off the hill cruising in a small way till fed up and ready for another project.

Lucky U.

Have a fine summer. I hope you will find a moment to do some sailing too!

Cheers,
b.
It's a matter of finding the right people, processes and results. The real question is what kind of result do I or you want.

For me it's really about sailing full time for the most part.

That in turn defines what processes are needed. A reliable system that produces a scalable income.

Then the most important and difficult part of the system "people". Which after a year have been found.

Just looking for some people that want to join in and reap the benefits.
message me if you want to know more.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:46   #1416

Boat: a sailing boat

I will agree most money making is about 'finding the right people, processes and results'. Although in my book (no B.A. but some time at economy faculty and 10 years in banking / the stock exchange jobs) there are some further absolutely required ingredients.

The tricky part is that if I concentrate on the above, I am not sailing.

So what I have developed is ways to work very little, very intensive, very far and apart. Sort of like I do nothing for most of any year and I enjoy the vistas while watching normal people hating me for just that. I will get up at 2pm maybe while they will be up and all alert at 6:30am. None of us does anything important, yet I am the 'lazy' while they are 'the serious kind'.

It all changes when I work. I can be busy for 3 or 4 months every single day for 14 to 16 hours. I sleep, wake up, work. Then no-one comes along to tell me now I am the busy bee and them are bums. No. Then I collect the fruits. Never hundreds, if I make more than 10k in one shot, I count myself lucky.

Then I go sailing. Or I live aboard in a place I like. Neither working nor looking for work.

My method is not sustainable but it is doable and allows us to sail at least a small loop every third or fourth year. I think we will go sailing this fall as well.

I am not intent on being here so much more any more so hundreds are simply not required to fund our marginal lifestyle. I could go nuts with hundreds maybe even buy a house and start a family. This would be the end of my sailing dream.

I could create a 'right people, processes and results' situation for myself but this would be just what I did before - work. I do not want to work. I want to make money while cruising (sailing).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:17   #1417

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Hi there,

loved to read the first 5 pages of this thread. then dropped off, it was a little funnellig around a few ideas and mostly thinking how to beat the system or get away uncaught.

Here my 5 cent:

You really need to leave your comfort zone first and think out of the box. You cannot compete with local businesses in remote countries - it simply will not work. Skills you might have or have not are great to keep you afloat and maintain your boat cheep during your journey, but this will not help you make an income where you are.

First things first. You ARE a citizen of a country - no matter what - and you CAN run a business in that country legally. So why not capitalize on that?

1.)

You know your home land quite well and are connected with people there / relatives, friends... You and they know the trends on that place, the prices and demands of the local market. Trading / importing goods is easy as a local company. You discover fancy products you haven't seen before while traveling remote places... Fine, so buy some and ship them home, try them in an online store in your home country, may be they sell well - may be not. Don't rely on a single product, grow your business with small inexpensive cool things - especially in the Asian region there are great start-ups trying to sell great ideas / products. You are the trend-scout, the purchasing department. Someone home will have to sell them - or you outsource the supply chain to a well known logistic company (Amazon, eBay & other local market places) - this makes your margin smaller and adds competition - other wise you have a competitive advantage to be THE source for that particular stuff in a "Special Online Store". As a Amazon Trader with local registered business - you cann trade whatever is legal in your country, pay the taxes and get the income while abroad.

You are not a sales guy, but you have some more spare money?

2.) go for the rental business - rent a flat / house / boat to a charter company and let them do the work for you. Even you can buy / finance / lease a brand new boat and let the charter management do their job insuring, maintaining and chartering it for you, you sell it every 5 years and get a new one. Especially the catamaran market is crazy nowadays, you can sell a 10 yr old boat for 60-80% of the buying price, so you have to write off 40-20% in 10 years - this is 2...4% per year physically, the tax deductibles are much higher, and you'll have a decent income yearly of 5-10% of your investment - not so bad if you look at the current interest rates. Also real estate rental can make a decent profit by conserving the value of the property.

3.) you are not the excel guy and crazy enough to sail the world - fine. There is a million crazy people out there waiting to give you their money. Just do crazy stuff: become a fortuneteller, a global warming scientist, sell esoteric products from remote tribes and religions, run your own religion / sect, make artist work - from creating "garbage recycling art" to stand up comedy. Anything goes, sell fridges and AC to Eskimos and life belts for the island natives, sun blocker to the African natives etc. for the global warming, T-shirts to the nudists and hot pants to the Amish people. Just do crazy things no one else would consider.

4.) You want really to work yourself? OK, then look for a company in your country that is willing to pay you traveling - make surveys of boats (you need some skills there), survey tourist locations / hotels / marinas / activities / adventures on remote places for travel agencies. You are fluent in several Languages and have special skills and know different cultures around the globe? Fine, then you probably can do some abroad project work to facilitate international expansions of companies from your homeland as an expat / external consultant. But be aware of, that this will be a hate/love relationship, because you will seriously work for a given period of time in a real job at one location until the project finishes, and then continue sailing until the next opportunity comes around. This is a good Freelance-Opportunity.

5.) You are a computer guy with programming skills - you can develop the next great piece of software / app / whatever on your boat and sell it from home-based registered business - or through the app-stores of Google, Microsoft or Apple, but programming is nowadays a cheap business off shored to India and Pakistan - so do not expect to get hired or contracted as a developer for a big company. You have to have the right idea at the right time...

6.) you can write about your life, take pictures and make movies about your adventures and travels or what ever your fantasy is able to imagine and try to find a publisher to print and sell this stuff for you, you can make some presentations / speeches at events e.g. about living on board and making money, blue water courses or anything else where you consider you have a unique selling point of your knowledge, you can sell this courses on DVD / BR - simply said: become a guru.

7.) Teaching is a good point - you can do courses about anything you consider are good at and record them professionally on Video, then sell them online from your home-based company, you can even make live sessions and events using skype - if you have somewhere a good Internet connection.

8.) You can join the modern begging business using Patreon or with some reputation get sponsored by some companies whose products you would preferably use and promote on Youtube and ads on your boat. Youtube can be a good income channel combined with a blog and affiliate programs like Amazon etc. where you can make some extra cash and get known / build a reputation. You can become a trend scout-thing or brand ambassador or product evangelist if you look funny or are young and pretty and have something to say. But it is a lot of work! Another way is crowdfunding. Works for any idea.

9.) You are no good at nothing, anything you start is a fail? GREAT! Youtube is your friend. Fails generate far more clicks and income than competence.

All have one thing in common. You need a registered business in your home base for the legal transaction of the income. Business abroad is like business at home - besides you are somewhere else most of the time.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:57   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post

All have one thing in common. You need a registered business in your home base for the legal transaction of the income. Business abroad is like business at home - besides you are somewhere else most of the time.
Actually most freelancers do not have a registered business. Just a Paypal account and then find a client willing to pay for service.

As you stated earlier in this post "think outside the box" which is the most true statement. But it must follow with, "will I take action?"

Because if all we do is talk then that is all we do.

I've read all the negativity in this thread but I wonder how many have actually taken any action. Are they still sitting in the same position?

We all have a skill that can produce a income for full time sailing, this is a fact.

I love the response that Sir Richard Branson had to how he built his business. "I hire people smarter than myself". He had the vision and found the talent to make his dream come true.

The guy is worth something like 7 billion so I'll take his advise.
Old 21-08-2017, 11:05   #1419

Well, to hire somebody smarter than you, you need at least as much money to pay him for the work.

And being smarter than you does not mean automatically he is doing something smart for you either, you will have to order him to do something smart, that pays off in the end. And IF he is so much smarter, WHY he does not run his own business, but applies for a job with you??? Just saying... Don't know who's smarter...

If you have so much money upfront, you probably do not need to think about making money while cruising.

The next thing is - of course you can find somebody to hire you for some kind of "freelance" job and pay you cash or paypal, but this is highly illegal (moonlighting / black labor) for you and your client, especially when it exceeds a certain amount of income. Also there maybe some issues than can end in court, so better you have a Inc. or Ltd. registered.

Most serious companies / clients would not hire you if you do not have a registered business, so you can only do some small jobs for private people.

In foreign countries you'll violate your visa terms / conditions with obviously serious consequences.
Old 21-08-2017, 11:23   #1420

Buy and hold Bitcoin long term while cruising.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 12:39   #1421

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Invent time machine. Go back to 2009 and buy Bitcoin.

And some Netflix and Amazon stock. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 06:35   #1422

Better yet, go back to 1985 and buy all of the Microsoft stock you can get your hands on.

A time machine is SUCH a useful thing when buying stocks!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 08:03   #1423
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Better yet, go back to 1985 and buy all of the Microsoft stock you can get your hands on.

A time machine is SUCH a useful thing when buying stocks!
You never told me you have a time machine.

Let me give you all of my money to invest. Just send me your bank account number and PIN so I can arrange a direct deposit.

You don't even have to go back to 1985. Just take it to 1997 and buy me a bunch of Amazon.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 05:11   #1424

No, no. It is Cormorant who has the time machine. Well... at least, he's going to invent one.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 07:11   #1425

Maybe we need a new forum thread about time machines...

Tags
paracelle