Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 03:38   #1216
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Yes, that's certainly a model that can work. Many online businesses can be constructed so that the product (either electronic or physical) is delivered automatically. It doesn't matter if you're on passage somewhere, the process works without you.

You still need to work on promotion and whatnot, but this can be done when you can find internet access. Customer service can't be fully automated, so this might be something you pay a virtual assistant to help with.
Once I have the taxi firm set up off my plate (i have written the rules to suit me being lazy / not working much / at all! and for that i also needed to tweak the local taxi regulations....he who writes the rules wins. Lol) that is the idea / model I am going to be exploring for real.

Although no plans for extended cruising I am attracted by the ability to work away from home, but earn at western prices and spend at "local" prices.

The price of not doing everything for self at home will be thinner margins.....but for me £10 sitting somewhere warm, with a far cheaper cost of living and with a cold beer is worth £100 sitting at home busting my gut. The "exchange rate" lol for others will vary.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:41   #1217

I day trade the Futures Market E-Mini and Oil. All you need is an internet connection and computer. Get connected and the market is ready to trade from any location.
svmidnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:18   #1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmidnightsun View Post
I day trade the Futures Market E-Mini and Oil. All you need is an internet connection and computer. Get connected and the market is ready to trade from any location.
How do you chose your entries and exits?
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:33   #1219
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, over the long term somewhere between 1/3 and 96% of all day traders lose their shirts.
So if someone says they're making money hand over first, all day every day, year after year, you might also suggest that ANYONE can win the Master's Cup, or get a $150million dollar NFL contract.
Heck, ANYONE has the ability to do it, just because 96% manage to fail...don't let them raise any red flags.

For that matter, some 95% of all individual investors in the stock market lose money as well. Only 5% of the individual investors earn money (decade after decade) and of course, the brokers ALWAYS earn money on every trade, win or lose.

Become a broker, you'll make way more money than the average investor. Stocks, commodities, options, doesn't matter which, the brokers are the only ones who have good reason to expect a gain at the end of the year.

And any investor who "shares" or "teaches" his formula? You have to ask, after everyone else knows it and uses it, how's that gonna work, when 100% of the profit goes to 100% of the investors? Hmmm...that's zero for each.

Versus the old DOJ/FBI statistic, that 92% of all bank robberies over a million dollars (back in the 80's when that was good money) WERE NEVER SOLVED. Because planning and executing a major robbery usually meant spending the time to plan it well, and that made it impossible to solve.

Much better return than day trading, and no expensive internet bills needed.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:37   #1220
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
How do you chose your entries and exits?
No one else sees the humor in a CF Member named "Imaginary Number" looking for entry/exit point day trading pick advice? Maybe I'm the only one that picks up on these things, but folks suggesting day trading as a way to fund your cruise should perhaps consider changing their CF Membrane names to "Imaginary Profits".
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:46   #1221

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No one else sees the humor in a CF Member named "Imaginary Number" looking for entry/exit point day trading pick advice? Maybe I'm the only one that picks up on these things, but folks suggesting day trading as a way to fund your cruise should perhaps consider changing their CF Membrane names to "Imaginary Profits".
Heck!
For most here cruising is imaginary.
What is not to like?
Old 01-10-2015, 13:47   #1222

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Perhaps he has a "J" boat.

For everyone who is *NOT* an electrical engineer, j is the nomenclature used to mark the portion of a complex number which is the "imaginary" component.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:38   #1223

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well, over the long term somewhere between 1/3 and 96% of all day traders lose their shirts.
So if someone says they're making money hand over first, all day every day, year after year, you might also suggest that ANYONE can win the Master's Cup, or get a $150million dollar NFL contract.
Heck, ANYONE has the ability to do it, just because 96% manage to fail...don't let them raise any red flags.

For that matter, some 95% of all individual investors in the stock market lose money as well. Only 5% of the individual investors earn money (decade after decade) and of course, the brokers ALWAYS earn money on every trade, win or lose.

Become a broker, you'll make way more money than the average investor. Stocks, commodities, options, doesn't matter which, the brokers are the only ones who have good reason to expect a gain at the end of the year.

And any investor who "shares" or "teaches" his formula? You have to ask, after everyone else knows it and uses it, how's that gonna work, when 100% of the profit goes to 100% of the investors? Hmmm...that's zero for each.

Versus the old DOJ/FBI statistic, that 92% of all bank robberies over a million dollars (back in the 80's when that was good money) WERE NEVER SOLVED. Because planning and executing a major robbery usually meant spending the time to plan it well, and that made it impossible to solve.

Much better return than day trading, and no expensive internet bills needed.(G)
I think the only one we might be familiar with who actually do fund their sailing through day trading are the Bumfuzzles.

Of course Pat worked in the pits in Chicago so he would have significant amount of hands-on experience.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-10-2015, 05:54   #1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So if someone says they're making money hand over first, all day every day, year after year...
I would say that even "year after year" isn't enough. I personally know a guy who was certain that he had found the key to success, because he had made money day-trading for a little over three years.

Yep, you guessed it, in the fourth year he completely lost his shirt. Dead broke, and even went deeply into debt. He has finally realized that this is absolutely NOT the way to long-term, sustainable wealth.

So, you really cannot call yourself a "successful" day-trader unless one of two things have happened...

1) You have made a fortune, and quit. You got out while you were ahead. No more day-trading EVER!
2) You have been consistently making money at it for more than 20 years.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone who qualifies based on criteria number 2. And, interestingly enough, these same criteria also define a successful gambler (which is, after all, exactly what day-trading is).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:40   #1225

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

If I recall correctly, ImaginaryNumber has said he successfully trades commodities spreads using the MRCI recommendations. That system does have a good track record over theyears, even if it periodically exposes you to losses.

ImaginaryNumber was asking SVMidnightsun how he chooses entries and exits for E-Mini futures and oil futures. I don't think this was a query because he wants to emulate SVMidnightsun. It was more of a WTF inquiry.

Each day you try to predict the direction of the S&P 500, or the price of oil. Because every financial firm in the world is doing the exact same thing, your odds of success without some extra insight are generally 50-50, or less. I, too, would love to know how SVMidnightSun does it.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:52   #1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmidnightsun View Post
To answer the question How I Enter and Exit
I trade using Price Action
Entries are based on money management and I have quite a few entry types However they all have 1 thing in common Risk Management
Exits are a predefined target or a trail stop.
A good source of information
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
We have been cruising for the past 15 years and have had 2 boy's on the way now 6 and 9. Currently based in Alaska skiing 100 days a year.
This is now our third year in AK, after being told we could only stay for 12 months.
My trading began in 1989 taking on many different styles stocks long term short term options and finely futures My dream was to build a yacht and sail the world seeking out ski areas close to our house in the country any country. I don't listen to the people that say it can not be done.
svmidnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:42   #1227

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

More power to you, Midnight Sun! If you can make it work, my hat is off to you.

I'm going to get that book and read up a bit. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 21:15   #1228

Boat: prout 37 cat
Send a message via Skype™ to jomac1

Dear all cruisers i have read many many answers to this simple question ( trading futures puppets sandwiches hair cuts taxidriving )what we have to do is go back to basics and decide what keeps us motivated (money )and decide what common background we all have that we can trade on ,keep your eyes open big opportunity coming your way very soon website still building shall post when its up and running jake care jomac1
jomac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 18:01   #1229

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I think the only one we might be familiar with who actually do fund their sailing through day trading are the Bumfuzzles.

Of course Pat worked in the pits in Chicago so he would have significant amount of hands-on experience.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes, Pat wrote a book on his trading (commodities) pretty good read.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:50   #1230

Boat: prout 37 cat
Send a message via Skype™ to jomac1

Well the website is up and running ,lots of teething problems but all seems to be fixed ,anyone sitting in a marina wondering where your next dollar is coming from check out boatsandsailors.com for a sure fire way to make money , its pretty easy,sign up to become a consultant in your marina you have free personal webpage one consultant per marina just list up to 10 boats in your marina and if any of those boats are sold through you you make 3% of the purchase price ,there is no cost involved and this is not a scam or pyramid scheme ,
jomac1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle