Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 19:35   #1141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I harvest rocking horse **** - storage always easy. Lol.
Im hording all the electric chainsaw gas I can get my hands on,man that stuffs rare, and the one fellow I found that was fool enough to sale me his is sitting pretty.. what? ..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 15:41   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
I'd like to create an exhaustive list of how folks who are deeply passionate about cruising have also found ways to make money while cruising.

Here a quick list to start us off:

1. Writing books
2. Editing magazines
3. Charter own boat
4. Software development

Let's try not to include, sail a while then work a while, but how can you make money while sailing.

Keep the list going so the next idea is number 6.
We've moved away from Craigslist due to the money/security issue. I still sell some items there but the cash must be in-hand and the meeting place somewhere I feel safe. Ebay's fees aren't horrible but I still don't like to pay them if I don't sell my items.

I found this website called vFlea.com that only takes a commission after the sale is complete and they only work within Paypal. There's a link below to quick click.

http://www.vFlea.com/home/signup?ref...ristiansailing

This is a great thread. Thanks, Agility for getting it started.
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 19:38   #1143

Boat: csy 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
I'd like to create an exhaustive list of how folks who are deeply passionate about cruising have also found ways to make money while cruising.

Here a quick list to start us off:

1. Writing books
2. Editing magazines
3. Charter own boat
4. Software development

Let's try not to include, sail a while then work a while, but how can you make money while sailing.

Keep the list going so the next idea is number 6.

What happened to idea number 5?

By the way, I have tried working while sailing, but what with steering and trimming and navigating and keeping watch I have found it is much easier to just stop somewhere to work.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 06:52   #1144

It's been really interesting to read all of the great ideas posted in this thread. Here are a couple more that I haven't seen mentioned.

An increasing number of employers are willing to hire telecommuting workers. Here's an article about this trend and a link to a site that specializes in providing jobs to telecommuters:

Work From Home: The Top 100 Companies Offering Telecommuting Jobs In 2015 - Forbes
Telecommuting Jobs & Professional Part-Time Jobs

If you prefer to work for yourself but you can't quite figure out the best way to generate income, there are several free online classes on entrepreneurship. The two big sites seem to be Coursera.org and Edx.org, both of which offer classes given by major universities. Here is a link to a class in entrepreneurship being offered by Coursera at the moment:

https://www.coursera.org/course/innovativeideas

Three-time Nobel laureate Linus Pauling is famous for having said that the key to genius is to "have lots of ideas and throw out the bad ones." So keep the ideas coming!
AnnaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 11:44   #1145
Armchair Bucketeer

It does sound kinda counterintuitive to go on a course to learn entrepreneurship - but part of being an entrepreneur is sucking up information and skills wherever yer can....the art is making something from your collection (and going on courses is a way of helping to shorten yer ooops curve, or at least make it less painful!! The trick is being able to weed out those selling snake oil!).

For those whose plan is to fund selves on the hoof and their past / current liveilhood has been based around a 9-5 paycheck (nothing wrong with that - and much right!) why not practice / develop your entrepreneurial skills before casting off? It does not have to be about stuff boat related or indeed stuff you could do onboard, its about learning the dull end of managing a business, acquiring dull transferable skills and knowledge and being able to identify opportunities as they arise, know when to perservere and know when to try something else. Its not about funding your life ashore, nor risking much cash just investing your time in yourself.

Likely you will soon find the ideas are the easy bit! - the doing is the time consuming bit! that eats money bit by bit - much like boats!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 12:29   #1146
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" I still sell some items there but the cash must be in-hand"
FWIW, there have been police alerts out for several years now. Apparently a lot of folks are using counterfeit money to make buys on Craigslist. Someone gives you a couple of hundred dollar bills, gets a nice TV, and you've got nothing once the bank confiscates it as counterfeit.
Selling a canoe? Racing bike? Trailer? Four or five hundreds or ten fifties? Ayup, cash in the hand sadly is not reliable these days. Five and tens are more likely to be the real thing. There's a reason your 7-11 checks $20 bills.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 20:41   #1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
My sister works at home part time and makes $4K per week on the internet. You can too. Click here to learn about this unbelievable opportunity that the Feds, Carlye group, and FEMA don't want you to know about. http://www.ScamsToGetRichQuickbySell...bscription.com
I hate it when the nay-sayer's are correct, but that is not the case here. I've been trading commodity spreads per Delfin & MRCI for exactly 6 months now (check my posts) and I'm up ~$27,000 as of Fridays close with 100% of my original margin in tact. There have been weeks with losses, but I have always been up, and never into my own money. I currently have almost none of my money at risk, my profits cover most all of my margin ($27,000 of $31,000).
I guess I can't match SV Third Day's sister's part time internet results, as I've only averaged just over $1000/wk, but I hope that one day I will be as wise and knowledgeable as Third Day, or even his internet guru sister. Then I can make unsubstantiated (wise-ass) comments without any knowledge or experience to back them up.
mcbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08   #1148

Boat: csy 37

Here are some good ways to LOSE all your money.

Gambling
Day Trading.
Options.
Commodities.

Experience of a guy who has been in the markets since 1970.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 21:49   #1149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Here are some good ways to LOSE all your money.

Gambling
Day Trading.
Options.
Commodities.

Experience of a guy who has been in the markets since 1970.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
99.9% of the time I would say exactly the same. However I have friend that may be the exception that proves the rule. For the last 4-5 years he has made 6 figure profits every year day trading. This part time while he holds down a "full time" job as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 21:55   #1150
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Now Mcbare....what would an internet chat room be without smart ass comments?
I just won the UK Lottery, all I have to do is send them $5000 to take care of the taxes.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:32   #1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
9However I have friend that may be the exception that proves the rule. For the last 4-5 years...
No offense to you or your friend, but the global economy has, in general, been improving over the last 4-5 years. Not very steadily, and quite slowly, with some isolated exceptions, but nonetheless improving. When he has been doing it long enough to go through a series of significant up and down cycles, THEN I might believe that he is "the exception that proves the rule."

Oh, and to the other poster... Six months? That's nothing. One lucky guess can get you well ahead over six months. Come back in ten years and tell us how you're doing.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:57   #1152
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No offense to you or your friend, but the global economy has, in general, been improving over the last 4-5 years. Not very steadily, and quite slowly, with some isolated exceptions, but nonetheless improving. When he has been doing it long enough to go through a series of significant up and down cycles, THEN I might believe that he is "the exception that proves the rule."

Oh, and to the other poster... Six months? That's nothing. One lucky guess can get you well ahead over six months. Come back in ten years and tell us how you're doing.
Global economy improving? Perhaps, but for whom? Also, I note those who see "improvement" expressed as increase vs past performance fail to include that when bottom is reached, the only movement possible is up. If volume was 100 widgets on average and falls to 10 on average, then touting 12 as a 20% increase is factual... but highly deceptive. Look at unemployment in the US as it's presented by the media.
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:03   #1153

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2

Sell pizza.

What? you don't believe me...

Abandoned sailboat transformed into floating pizzeria - Images
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:04   #1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
Sell pizza.

Great ideas here - keep 'em coming!

I eat way too much pizza as it is...
fishingmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34   #1155

Boat: Wannabe 34 (BW of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
Sell pizza.

A better website (easier to read) with the same story and more background info:

Tiny Floating Homes: PIZZA PI

In particular: "Due to Health Department requirements, they can’t actually LIVE on the boat anymore but they maintain the functionality that makes this the most awesome tiny floating home around!"

I think there was a lot of winking going on in that last sentence. It would be a great idea if they could find somewhere that doesn't have as many regulations, doesn't mind them running a business, and can still source all the supplies they need.
libramax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle