Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-12-2014, 14:51   #1096

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescher View Post
I'm very late to this list. However, for small amount of money one can use Mechanical Turk. This is a service provided by Amazon where humans are paid to do work that computers cannot do well, such as, for example, look at page 15 a scanned PDF file to see if a person ticked the non-smoker box. That might earn you $0.10. You need an Internet connection but it should be possible to earn a few hundred a month pretty easily. Just Google the phrase "Mechanical Turk" and sign up.
Heh.
I just looked at a Kroger grocery recipt https://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?...D7ZQ6SDG15K85R

and I can tell you that I am in no way qualified to do that job. Learning to write Chinese might be easier, LOL.
Old 14-12-2014, 16:15   #1097
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
But you practice sailing, diesel repair, anchoring, etc.....why not practice making money?
This is very wise advise....
The only problem is that being own boss can make you unemployable - by own choice!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 22:20   #1098
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The only problem is that being own boss can make you unemployable - by own choice!
Man is that true.
My business partner is always joking with me that if I ever had to get a "real job" I wouldn't last a week because cruising has ruined me. I know he isn't really joking its true.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 06:10   #1099

Boat: St Francis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to rescher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mechanical Turk? Really?

Have you looked at those five and ten cent jobs, and figured out how much money you could make in an eight hour day, versus what it would COST you to simply have online access and eat for that same day?

In the developed world, Mechanical Turk jobs usually aren't economically feasible. It would cost you more to do that work than you would get paid, and that's even before taxes. Which you might not have to pay, since you'd probably never hit the income reporting threshold with the income from those jobs.

For someone in the "fourth world" getting paid two bucks a day to glue on sneaker soles, the jobs may be salvation. But in the developed world? They usually pay less than sweatshop work. And of course, you've got to supply all the equipment, which would make them what? Sweatshop cottage work?
I'll beg to differ on this one. I'm not saying it's work you would want to do, but I've hired people this way and we were paying some of the workers a few thousand a month. I just looked on the site and TripAdvisor is currently paying around $3 for a 30-40 words description of travel sites. If one were to buckle down you could probably knock off 5-10 of those per hour. That takes you into the $15-$30/hour range for work that's 100% at your leisure and 100% portable. I'm sure there's worse ways to earn coin.
rescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 15:33   #1100

#6. Operate a cremation at sea business.
Sail out of local waters and operate a respectful ceremony service.
Venture21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 14:40   #1101

Boat: Looking for 30-50' preferable a schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to craigglewis

http://www.meniskaskaimas.lt/static/...r_Workweek.pdf
craigglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 08:05   #1102

Boat: Looking for 30-50' preferable a schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to craigglewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture21 View Post
#6. Operate a cremation at sea business.
Sail out of local waters and operate a respectful ceremony service.
I thought about doing burial at sea like the old day. Place a few rocks at the feet and wrap the body in a shrouded. Take out to 12 km (5.6 km in the USA) and have a service. Pay $1-2K. Includes priest, flowers, video/pics etc. It's a lot better than paying $10k's for a coffin, plot and headstone.

Burial at Sea
craigglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:01   #1103

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

Make Money While cruising - when do we get an opportunity like this? (Unless you believe Oil can stay under $55.) See the other two charts at Untitled Document . I posted them for this thread.

eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:23   #1104

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigglewis View Post

Just had to read this whole book this morning. Love it. Love it. It's the answer the the question I asked when I started this question read.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 16:26   #1105

Boat: Orca 38

Nuff said!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	96294  
Old 30-01-2015, 17:45   #1106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
Make Money While cruising - when do we get an opportunity like this? (Unless you believe Oil can stay under $55.) See the other two charts at Untitled Document . I posted them for this thread.

Oil will never go back to $70.00- $100.00 + a barrel, not in our life time..$100.00 a barrel price was one of those advance chess moves where in one thinks 2-3 moves ahead,then its "check mate"..never was worth $3.80 a gallon..It was a good way to set someone up to watch them fall and then its back to business as usual..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 18:07   #1107

Boat: Newport

of course it will go back to to 100$, probably this year - major nations of the world just saw their main revenue source chopped in half - it's a matter of time till someone blinks and we then see an orchestrated reduction of oil supply going to market.

that is my opinion, and so yes i am acting on it financially - and that is part of my make money at Sea plan -
its a risk - but therein lies the reward -
most alternative energy companies (solar, biofuels, geothermal) have been slammed with this drop in oil price

they will rise up swiftly as soon as oil starts creeping back over 50$

if you have the stomach for it, invest in solar - I like sunpower.
I also like geothermal (htm)

but you should only invest what you can lose -

good luck
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 18:33   #1108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curran View Post
of course it will go back to to 100$, probably this year - major nations of the world just saw their main revenue source chopped in half - it's a matter of time till someone blinks and we then see an orchestrated reduction of oil supply going to market.

that is my opinion, and so yes i am acting on it financially - and that is part of my make money at Sea plan -
its a risk - but therein lies the reward -
most alternative energy companies (solar, biofuels, geothermal) have been slammed with this drop in oil price

they will rise up swiftly as soon as oil starts creeping back over 50$

if you have the stomach for it, invest in solar - I like sunpower.
I also like geothermal (htm)

but you should only invest what you can lose -

good luck
My opinion (and we all know about opinions) is kind of the middle ground between you and tropicalescape. I'm in the chemical business and have a few friends supplying chemicals to the oil fields and a couple that deal in gasoline and diesel.

General opinion is oil is somewhere around the bottom and not expected to drop a lot lower if at all. I personally don't think we will see sub $40. Already some of the major commodity raw materials derived from crude oil like propylene, ethylene, etc are starting to increase in price and gasoline prices at the pump seem to be stabilized a bit.

If the Saudis cut back, some crisis or event reduces production elsewhere or any other factor occurs that reduces oil supply then as oil prices increase production from marginal wells and oil shale will resume, increasing supply again and acting as a buffer on the market price.

My guess, oil prices will increase gradually over the next 12-18 months to $65-$75 tops. Beyond that my crystal ball is very fuzzy but I wouldn't expect $100 oil for at least 3-5 years.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 20:26   #1109

Boat: Newport

Right, I am in agreement for the most part. A lot of the small US oil/shale exploration/drilling companies that have relatively high production costs have been hit the hardest - many down 70% in the past few months. If you can find one that looks like it is here for the long haul and has reliable revenue streams already established - then I believe those type of companies will see the strongest positive response to a reverse in the plummeting price of oil.

And also you don't want to go with anything with liquidity issues - because it may very well be years before oil is back to 80-100$

But this sort of thing is all in the timing and not for the faint of heart, (i.e. not a reliable source of income for cruisers).
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 22:18   #1110

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the profit-point for shale oil production ~$70 a barrel? If so, then it would seem that the foreign oil producers would strategize to keep oil at or just below that mark to discourage shale production from eating into their share of the pie.
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle