Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35   #556

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Just wait until people adapt to colder climates, You'll see more up that way.
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
This is an interesting thread. I've been thinking of what kind of work I'm going to do when I retire from current employment. Can't stand office work but I'm sure I can find something a bit more active.
I'm an x-ray tech/software trainer by day and a closet welder, sail repair/ canvas worker, wire rigger, woodworker/finisher, self taught diesel/gas mechanic, self taught refrigeration technician and computer/UROV builder at night.

I don't think there will be much call for my day job while I'm cruising but one or more of the night ones might pan out.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46   #557

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

The guy who sails around on Nuthin Wong makes his living recruiting paying crew, by posting notices in local backpacker hostels. Somedays conducts day trips for tourist, until he's arrested by the local constabulary... as described in his book. Its a fun story.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51   #558

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Anyone that is truly gifted with the skills of refrigeration repair, outboard motor repair or electrical/electronics repair will never suffer for customers, or experience real competition.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 15:00   #559

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
It would be interesting to hear from people who are actually out there making a living as they go.
I have a saying - no matter how desperate you are for a job, there is an Indian who is more desperate.

Also, the industry has now reached the point that a huge percentage of projects are now controlled by Indian ex-pats and Indian firms. In tough markets, they show a very clear preference for Indian workers who they can push around.

In the US I'll lose out to Indian workers for remote work almost every time, mainly on price. Curiously, most of my remote work has been consulting TO the Indian development centers of major American and European software companies!

As Hydrabad becomes more modern and India's people become more technologically demanding, though, the Indian competitive edge will fall away.

Then there will only be the Chinese, Malaysians, Koreans, and Africans to deal with!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:21   #560

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Anyone that is truly gifted with the skills of refrigeration repair, outboard motor repair or electrical/electronics repair will never suffer for customers, or experience real competition.
Given this how does one scrape up business? I am gifted at all these but can't find work unless its an office job. I had been an electronics engineer for ten years and don't want another sediment desk job.

Ill offer my services to anyone wanting a printed circuit board made or some sort of invention as I have made dozens in my past. I still have China contacts as well as American.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 19:36   #561

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

From the last two posts, methinks there is a bit of drift setting in - - this thread is about making money while you are underway/cruising on your boat, not while living static in one location "at home."

Normally you will be spending - at least in the Caribbean - several or more months in a location/harbor waiting for the seasons to change to you can get underway again. While at anchor waiting it is normal to catch up on jobs/repairs/projects on your boat. This leads to interaction with other cruisers doing the same and an exchange of information leads to an exchange of talents helping each other with boat projects.

When the word gets around that you are talented in certain boat repair area skills there can be a "trade" of helping each other based on whatever talents are available. Unfortunately this will not usually result in any exchange of money for helping since that may be in legal conflict with whatever the local country's rules are on the subject of working.

However, while anchored in your home country you can usually finds temporary or piece work amongst other cruisers or shore based boat service companies since it would be legal for you to accept money/compensation for work in your home country.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:29   #562

I have seen cruisers who made and sold there own jewelry, sail repairs, and canvas repairs, new biminis, dodgers, mobile canvas shop, electricians, shipwrights, carpenters, diesel mechanics, refridgeration repairs, tradesmen of marine industry, how about phone sales via internet phone providers? Most companies pay on comission so work when you can. Smoked fish sales your sitting on an ocean full. If restricted sell only to other cruisers. Baked bread and baked goods, most dont want to go to the trouble to bake, other cruisers love to eat. Everyone loves pizza whole or buy the slice.
Opportunity always knocks to those who have the initiative to want to help them selves do better. But most importantly always respect other countries people, cultures, rules, regulations, and have fun life is for living!
randomize33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 15:09   #563

Boat: Niagara 35

I'd like to plug two books. Both are by cruisers who have been cruising for quite a while actually using these techniques. They are polar opposites of each other, in many ways.

1) How to Make Money With Boats by Scott Fratcher. Scott is a mechanic and handyman kind of guy and has written a very complete book on all sorts of ways that he has seen fellow cruisers make money and fail to make money. He addresses many of the concerns about legalities and has amazing advice. This guy has been doing this for many, many years and he knows what he's talking about.

The book itself is self published and really needs a good editor. It's also print on demand, so it's a bit expensive. On the other hand, you're supporting a fellow cruiser.

2) I believe others have mentioned Pat Schulte (bumfuzzle) and Nick O'Kelly's Live on the Margin. This one is about using the internet from where ever you are to trade stocks and options. It is quite detailed about methods used and also very heavy on philosophy. I've read it twice now and intend to give trading a try to see if I might be able to support myself when "out there" on a reduced budget. Again, these are guys who actually support themselves and their families using the methods that they tout in the book. It's well written and available from Amazon by ebook or paperback.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 15:43   #564

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
In the US I'll lose out to Indian workers for remote work almost every time, mainly on price. Curiously, most of my remote work has been consulting TO the Indian development centers of major American and European software companies!
This is swinging back the other way quickly. I work for a large US staffing IT firm that will go un-named but we are in every fortune 1000 company.

By and large, many more companies are seeking out US help in the last year rather than going overseas. We have two large centers in India and we have had to lay off people there and build a whole new center in the US because of the change. Companies have soured on the poor quality of Indian software work. They can throw down ISO certifications all day but in the end you can't control the fact that there are like a bizzilion different religions that all take extensive holidays at the least opportune time. Combine that with just bad quality and you have the seeds of change.

Since Agile Software development has become the dominant form of development, it no longer takes 20-40 Indians working for dirt cheap - You can do the same development in the US for cheaper using 5-6 US developers that are better trained, have more experience, and understand your business better.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 13:55   #565

How about writing Ebooks ?

Then you'd only have to connect to the 'Net when doing an upload.

This was probably suggested earlier, I haven't read the whole thread.
Spencer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:32   #566

My plan is Music. I play guitar and sing. Troubador style.

I have one huge natural advantage in this regard.
I'm Irish. That in and of itself is a brand that's worth it's weight in gold, particularly considering the dispersal of the quintessential Irish bar to every part of the world. I believe that I could happily walk into an Irish bar in any part of the world, and at the very least play for my supper so to speak. And I thoroughly believe that I'd be paid cash in hand for the gig.

Here's hoping. Anybody have any experience going the musician route?
Allio
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 16:01   #567

Boat: Ohlson 35

When I leave in a few years I'll be using my sailmaking skills as an income as and when needed, but I'll also be taking my two nephews of which one is a deep sea diver and the other a paramedic who will be a doctor before setting sail.

We also have ideas for running a blog which has never been done before within the sailing community. It has been done similarly once before with land travel and this attracted a monumental amount of sponsorship and interest. We have managed to convert this concept towards sailing and already have two companies interested in supplying us with equipment.

I must say that its not just the idea but who we are. The reason why we are going together is the biggest selling point and not how big the boat is or what we know.
Reverend Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 16:42   #568

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I'm Irish. That in and of itself is a brand that's worth it's weight in gold, particularly considering the dispersal of the quintessential Irish bar to every part of the world. I believe that I could happily walk into an Irish bar in any part of the world, and at the very least play for my supper so to speak. And I thoroughly believe that I'd be paid cash in hand for the gig.

Here's hoping. Anybody have any experience going the musician route?
Allio
Actually during our decade in the Caribbean, we went to local cruiser bars/restaurants where other musician cruisers we playing. In Grenada, for instance, a 3 hour gig paid $100 per musician. Not bad $33+ per hour. - - but the pay was in local dollars, Eastern Caribbean dollars which worked out to be US$37.20 for the 3 hour gig. But the musicians did get free beer.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 17:02   #569

Boat: Ohlson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post

I believe that I could happily walk into an Irish bar in any part of the world, and at the very least play for my supper so to speak.
Allio
I'd be concerned at how many Irish bars are located next to landing points. Irish bars have always been a city concern as far as I've witnessed which leaves coastal cities as a restriction.

Why not come up with your own performance that has a twist which you could perform at any mixed bar?

Quintessential by the way is not global.
Reverend Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 17:33   #570

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Hello Everybody,

I already wrote about this, but as it has been mentioned again please bare/bear (LOL) with me...

1) I have traveled by land and sea (mostly by land unfortunately) and have seen many musicians finance their trips playing in bars and restaurants so if you have this gift what are you waiting for? But do be honest and self critical about your real abilities! Do you attract a crowd; are people just being polite; or do they rush to the nearest exit????

Please do not be offended, because I know if I started singing people would certainly rush to the nearest exit, but only after throwing all their empty bottles, cans and anything else close to hand at me!

So all you Irish singers please bring a Guinness for me!

2) Writing (e-books/blogs/or any e-service) seems to be a real possibility and I am following that path right now. Please check www.createspace.com as it may be the channel for you/us would-be authors.

Again before hoisting anchor and sailing into the sunset with empty pockets, better to make sure you are actually making some money first. I'm not yet, but live in hope!

Once my first book is online I'll post an update, plus the link off course, so you can all buy one or a couple of hundred to give away as gifts to the people you meet while traveling...

3) I sincerely hope nobody suggests hairdressing again as a means of traveling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) Just throwing a suggestion into the air. How about offering technical expertise via Skype or email. This could perhaps be done with a panel of experts so when one is offline cruising there are others to hold the fort. There have been times when I sorely needed some advice about fixing boaty things and the local Jack-of-all-Trades were of no help whatsoever. Maybe you could walk someone through diagnosing the problem and fixing a diesel engine or how to wire and install equipment. Better to pay for expert advice and get it right first time than pay for trial and error mechanics. I paid a guy two hundred dollars plus about 150 us$ in parts to fix an overheating engine and guess what? Yes, it continued to overheat! After days of fiddling I found the problem, the cooling water for the exhaust manifold was leaking into the engine and I fixed it with a cheap tube of plastic gasket sealing goo. Sorry about my "technical" explanation, but it did resolve the problem. So if someone does set this up I'll be your first client, but seeing as I made the suggestion I expect any services to be on a free-of-charge basis...

4) Regarding teaching English, this really DOES work and you CAN make money and you DON'T have to be a qualified ESL teacher and you DON'T have to speak the local language provided you offer conversation classes to intermediate or advanced students. I know because that is how I finance my travels. BUT it does require a fairly long-term commitment in each port of call. So please read my earlier post which discusses this in more detail. (Sorry too darned lazy to find the number of that post!!!).

Hope this helps...

__________________________________________________ ___________

"Don't count what you have, because it is what you don't have that makes the difference".
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle