Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 02:08   #1441

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
Just finished watching a news coverage on Bitcoin. Some one asked me to buy some in June when it was about USD 1,800 and now it is USD 4,150 !!

Guess I missed the boat
BTC/crypto is gambling, probably worse than penny stocks. One regulatory move in the "wrong" direction then that 4150 becomes 415. Not too funny if you invested all your savings for your next boat...
Old 12-09-2017, 05:56   #1442

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Just finished watching a news coverage on Bitcoin. Some one asked me to buy some in June when it was about USD 1,800 and now it is USD 4,150 !!

Guess I missed the boat
Pure speculation that is working at the moment...When do you get out? Its a currency? Try buying a coffee with it? Its limited? What about the other 600+ cryptocurrencies? .....I'm not convinced yet.

Its hard to know where to put your money at the moment, its " everything's a bubble world" very new territory.

I think at the moment its about insuring the return of your money rather than return on it! But really I have no idea pretty much like everyone else.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45   #1443

Quote:

Guess I missed the boat
You definitely didn't miss the boat. I thought the same thing at $200! There will only ever be 21 million bitcoin and there are over 30 million millionaires in the world so even they can't all have one. Along with Monero, cryptocurrency appreciation has funded my liveaboard entirely and I don't doubt it will continue to do so for the next few decades.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:22   #1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
You definitely didn't miss the boat. I thought the same thing at $200! There will only ever be 21 million bitcoin and there are over 30 million millionaires in the world so even they can't all have one. Along with Monero, cryptocurrency appreciation has funded my liveaboard entirely and I don't doubt it will continue to do so for the next few decades.
You believe governments wont start regulating cryptocurrencies? Aren't they already starting to in china? Limited to 21 million, that maybe so for Bitcoin but what about the other crypto currencies?

I do agree that it potentially serves a purpose, decentralized currency BUT that's not what it is currently and has along way to go before it is, at the moment its purely a speculative play, people buy hoping it goes up,and so far it has.
Old 13-09-2017, 05:28   #1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
...I don't doubt it will continue to do so for the next few decades.
No offense, but people who make wildly speculative bets on things like this never "doubt" (even though many of them end up losing everything).

As has already been said, buying bitcoins is a form of gambling. You may win big. You may lose big. No one can possibly know which. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that you are "investing" when you buy them. You are not. Not even close!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 06:06   #1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No offense, but people who make wildly speculative bets on things like this never "doubt" (even though many of them end up losing everything).

As has already been said, buying bitcoins is a form of gambling. You may win big. You may lose big. No one can possibly know which. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that you are "investing" when you buy them. You are not. Not even close!
Very true. The problem with where we currently are, is there is very little "investing" speculation is not investing, its buying something hoping someone else will pay more for it in the future

I look all over for value, or put better a market that is undervalued, from what I see there is so such thing presently? The valuations whether it be real estate, stocks or returns on bonds are hideously skewed relative to historical norms.

I currently sit on the sidelines paying holding costs and will continue to do so until insanity subsides......we have a "'everything bubble" fueled by credit, easy money, bringing tommorows prosperity to now. The whole system relies on ever increasing amounts of credit, no other way to fill the hole!
Old 13-09-2017, 06:47   #1447

Boat: a sailing boat

If I had a cat I would not call it a sailboat.

Me neither. Provided it were a power cat.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 06:58   #1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
To me, there is a challenge with some suggestions in this thread. It is as if many of us assume cruising is sort of like living aboard in third world locations. Sure at times it is. But quite often it is not.

I think to make money while cruising is more about actually cruising in the first place. If you are mostly busy trying to make money, you are likely not cruising. Post elsewhere.

Make your ballast internal. Use gold bars as ballast. Cast the lines in 2002. Cruise slowly round the world. Sell the gold when you need cash for cruising. Replace the void with lead bars.

We called it quits in 2012, having cruised for 10 years. Whatever was left in the bilges we sold and bought a small mountain hut in Switzerland.

Does it really have to be more complex that that?

Cheers,
George
https://www.moneymetals.com/precious...rts/gold-price
You did buy gold at pretty much the perfect time 2002. Historically it still makes sense today, although this is also speculating, but least backed by history and relative to money supply could be argued that its cheaper than never...but who knows.
Old 13-09-2017, 12:26   #1449

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If I had a cat I would not call it a sailboat.

Me neither. Provided it were a power cat.

Cheers,
b.
Wrong thread? Humpty Dumpty is over there ------>
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 13:28   #1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Wrong thread? Humpty Dumpty is over there ------>
A quote.

Except that I know some readers do not like to get quoted, so I quote them 'inline'. At this point they find it very hard to snap and say 'you talking to me?'

I only quote in quotes people I know I can trust.

I was warned not to quote and so I do not.
I was warned not to use humour, so I do not.
I was warned not to label one president as stupid. I do not.
I was warned ...

The list is getting religiously close to 10. Once we get the status of another church, I sign off.

(No smiley here, see humour regulations). I don't want it to be just a stupid smile. I do not like FB-like behaviour.

This forum is becoming more and more complex to post anything other than specifications of Delphi 296.

Delphi Diesel Fuel Filter - Delphi Parts Store

http://images.dieselpartsdirect.co.u...5205551_46.jpg

;-)
Cheers,
b.
Old 13-09-2017, 14:27   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You did buy gold at pretty much the perfect time 2002. Historically it still makes sense today, although this is also speculating, but least backed by history and relative to money supply could be argued that its cheaper than never...but who knows.
It was not an accidental buy. In 2003 I was just freshly retired from my stock exchange job. A young millionaire and eager to never return to the desk. It did not work this way though. Still, it was a fine dream and I enjoyed the ride.

Imho gold is a good investment but it is not a good investment now. I know what Soros disciples say. They have their skin in the game, this is why the say what they do. I would bet a small amount of Bitcoins AGAINST gold right now.

If anything, gold may, for the time, be a good base instrument for option strategies against volatility. These are purchased as any other otc contract. Without the underlying though, such options do not qualify as investment. They are pure speculation. If one president attacks N Korea, one citizen should reverse the position and bet on volatility. If N Korea nukes Japan, one should also bet on volatility - one tail only. I could be then tempted to open a small long position in gold options against a non-USD related CCY (if such a thing still exists today). Also possibly hedge the base CCY (not sure, this last thing is out of my set of skills).

People are wrong when they think that stock, or commodities, or letable property are no longer good investment. These are as good an investment as ever. And, as ever, they require education, patience, cool head and experience. It has always been this way. Only today so many believe things get done (by some omnipresent WHOM - often in the form of too social-benefit-oriented a government) or else taken for granted (like the billions of fiat money printed out over last couple of years by the ECB and the BEP that somehow ended up in the bank accounts of the rich of our continents). The whole story reminds me so much of that Thanksgiving turkey, so fat and so proud and so cock-sure of its importance (based on how well we are fed).

Living off investments is hard work. Not as hard as working in a cotton field in Georgia though. Still, you are very likely to get very lean in the process. Quite the opposite of that social benefit (even if only in the form of a civil servant job) turkey.

Let's not panick. There is always an investment opportunity for those who like to think, read a lot, study hard and willing to devote the cake today for the sake of a bottle of Cognac tomorrow. Just learning the tricks is a good investment actually, as you get less likely to get tripped up by plain idiots and smart people (you tell the latter ones by knowing they bet against you) who tell you 'X is a GREAT investment'. Sure. Go buy Bitcoins, or herrings. Hang yourself. Buy one get two while you need none.

PS It took me dropping out of my economy faculty, 10 years of working for financial institutions and then six years of self study to get to the point where I could with some probability tell a possibly good investment from a potentially terrible speculation. Even today I often fail to spot a good speculation.

Keep on investing wisely. Educate yourself. Avoid speculation and colds. Go sailing when and if you retire.

Cheers,
b.
Old 03-10-2017, 21:45   #1452

Hi Barnakiel, my problem is i see almost everything as speculative today!

Distorted markets due to easy money has resulted in very little value ,any where, the definition imo of investing has changed dramatically , speculation tends to now be considered investing.

I hold real estate but purely for the cash it throws off, it puts food in my mouth and keeps the boat going BUT its overvalued!!! Average household income vs house prices >10:1! (Australian cities) historically these valuations are very, very high. People buy real estate for speculative reasons where i look at cash flow, no positive cashflow where i come from now. So many mum and pop millionaires at home due to unrealized house equity.

Equities are now in the 2nd longest bull run in history during the 2nd largest economic expansion in history which is also possibly the weakest, if you consider that historically low interest rates are needed plus three QE's to keep it going. Yet despite this ,the S&P etc are breaking records daily with PE ratios extremely high.

My point is theres not alot of value out there , buying something hoping someone else pays more for it down the track isnt investing to me, unless its clearly provable via the numbers that its undervalued, minimizing risk.

"If the potential downside is equal to or greater than the potential upside then dont do the deal" ...this is where i get lost with Bitcoin. I dont see how anyone knows the potential downside or upside!! there's no way of knowing, it will probably keep going up but how do you know? based on what? It could easily crash massively, look at the volatility! Laws change, competing cryptos?

The fundamentals, or better put the weakness's of fiat currencies and central banks back the case for Cryptos, but this applies to Gold as well, BUT gold has historical data that can be used to access its value relative to money supply and other markers, where Bitcoin etc doesn't. Bitcoin's considered a currency but few if any are buying it for it"money properties " its purely a speculative gig" BUT gold is also, regardless of what gold bugs say BUT history is on its side as well as most central banks still including gold as part of reserve holdings, look at China and Russias recent gold aquistions over the last decade, very substantial, why?

Investing to me is finding something that has good fundamentals that is undervalued and makes a REAL profit, invest time, energy and money to increase its value or bring it to its fair market value. Whether it be small retail businesses or Tesla i just dont see many i consider "good value".

Gold is not an investment as far as Im concerned but i believe it to be a way of protecting your money when economic fundamentals are severely broken.

I want to believe in Bitcoin, but every man and his dog is a genius right now, this concerns me.

Im not and never have been a trader and certainly do not claim to be any form of expert on monetary matters. I ran a businness for years that prospered because im " SIMPLE" i can add and subtract, fundametals are always there if you can see through the smoke. The world is drowning in debt and loose money has and is distorting most if not all markets, houses are atm's and everyone's an investor ( speculator).
Old 10-10-2017, 07:10   #1453

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

As the original poster, I find it amusing this list is still going after 7 years. Fwiw, I decided to quit my job and have done over 10K miles on our cat for the last 18 months. I did stay on the board of directors for a hi tech company that I fly back to attend board meetings every 3 months. While it’s not an easy “job” to get it’s rewarding on many levels.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:17   #1454

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I work as a contract design engineer and can do most of my work remotely, just as long as i perodicaly check in and send files of my work. I do need to attend design engineering meetings which i fly at the clients cost for all travel expences. So i end up being able to be sailing most of the time and still make good money.

The best way to support a cruising life is to do computer based remote work. And the higher level the job is the better. There is oportunities out there for remote work but it takes some time to get it set up.
Old 12-10-2017, 21:57   #1455
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

7. I've met a couple of cruisers who have youtube channels and they run a fundraiser on fundagoal once or twice a year and let their subscribers know about it in a few of their youtube videos. Some have over 100,000 subscribers so even $1 from 20% of them can add up.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle