Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 14:19   #1171
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 183
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Welcome. Although interesting, the lifestyles of the two families you referenced are far away from anything I would ever want to wake up to each morning. Especially in the frozen arctic.

For me, you either already have the capital (i.e., the means $$$) to go cruising, or you already have an established business that you can transition onto a live aboard situation. To first have the dream of sailing, then later trying to figure out how to support yourself, is the wrong way to approach it, unless you are a gypsy at heart, with a moth-eaten t-shirt that reads "I can do without!".

There are numerous videos on-line of gypsies sailing. Mostly with broken boats, no money, and trying to find jobs scraping hulls in St. Martin in order to buy their hungry baby some food. No thanks!
No thanks either !
Anyway days of Sea-Gypsies are numbered even on canals.
There is a very politically correct way to get them evicted called Environement issues or safety standards.

As far as the Swiss family is concerned, Switzerland being not really a third world country, it would not take long to the Swiss Welfare authorities to get social workers flown wherever they are, should they suspect " hungry crying babies".
Finding "volonteers" to investigate these children well being in Australia should not prove to be difficult.
__________________

__________________
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 19:53   #1172
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 614
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
No thanks either !
Anyway days of Sea-Gypsies are numbered even on canals.
There is a very politically correct way to get them evicted called Environement issues or safety standards.

As far as the Swiss family is concerned, Switzerland being not really a third world country, it would not take long to the Swiss Welfare authorities to get social workers flown wherever they are, should they suspect " hungry crying babies".
Finding "volonteers" to investigate these children well being in Australia should not prove to be difficult.
Actually, I wasn't speaking so directly about child welfare. That's a much broader topic than gypsy-style live-aboard sailing escapades.

If you wish to discuss child welfare, you really need to look no further than every US inner-city housing project and suburban/countryside trailer park. Forget the ocean waves.
__________________

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:06   #1173
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
No thanks either !
Anyway days of Sea-Gypsies are numbered even on canals.
There is a very politically correct way to get them evicted called Environement issues or safety standards.
Bingo! The definitive money maker. Stock up on gypsy kids and deploy them to steal stuff at each port of call...

Keep 'em locked up in the bilge during passage.

(I have no idea the context of the discussion - just spitballin' here)
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:30   #1174
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 614
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Bingo! The definitive money maker. Stock up on gypsy kids and deploy them to steal stuff at each port of call...

Keep 'em locked up in the bilge during passage.

(I have no idea the context of the discussion - just spitballin' here)
Good spitball! You're not too far off topic. My wife and I were waiting for a ferry to Zakynthos, Greece one morning back in '95, and suddenly we were surrounded by well-trained gypsy kids. They were smarter than any dog I ever owned, except Fred, our English Border Collie.

I told wifey, "Keep the bags close!"
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:52   #1175
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,555
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
Correct, you are living on a boat and working legally.
Depending upon your life style, you have to work six months per year or more....or just 3 months.
I have cared to read and had fun by doing so most of these 78 pages of this topic safe from posts about trading, commodities etc...
Everything useful has been said, in a much better than I could.
Working (possibly less if you are an expat "outsourced" by a compagny) raises legal issues...work permit, taxes, VAT, Insurrance...etc.
Just not worth it for a couple of weeks, let aside for a day job.
Oddly as long as I have internet, which I get Via Wifi hotspots, I can work where ever my boat is for companies in the US or elsewhere and get the money deposited my bank. I work as a freelance designer. Currently I've clients in Canada, Texas and Washington DC. I'll not get rich, but It keeps me happy the boat fixed up and best of all, I don't sit in one place.
__________________
sailorchic34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 21:32   #1176
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Pacific
Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Posts: 113
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

This represent little income, but still helps maintain the boat. And it provides welcome socializing, including for the kids (there are less cruising families nowadays than just 5-10 years ago, "kiddy boats" tend to be a rare sight)
Sailing with us as paying guests, on board our Lagoon 440 catamaran
__________________
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 21:37   #1177
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 614
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oddly as long as I have internet, which I get Via Wifi hotspots, I can work where ever my boat is for companies in the US or elsewhere and get the money deposited my bank. I work as a freelance designer. Currently I've clients in Canada, Texas and Washington DC. I'll not get rich, but It keeps me happy the boat fixed up and best of all, I don't sit in one place.
That's exactly what my wife and I have planned. My clients are in Asia, Europe, the US, and South America. The only difference is the exact occupation and the fact that I don't want to (and cannot) depend on WiFi hotspots and marina coffee shops. I need 24/7 full-time Internet access, with occasional passages. Great life if you can get it.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 22:10   #1178
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,555
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's exactly what my wife and I have planned. My clients are in Asia, Europe, the US, and South America. The only difference is the exact occupation and the fact that I don't want to (and cannot) depend on WiFi hotspots and marina coffee shops. I need 24/7 full-time Internet access, with occasional passages. Great life if you can get it.
I use two hot spots and about 10 gigs a month, most of that cad files. USA coverge is mostly good. I've not had a problem yet, but then I'm not playing the market, so not stressed when pork belly's fall. It is possible to have two hotspots connected to a laptop at once. I have a long range wifi thingy too. but it works best as a seperate wifi port for the second hot spot.

It's a lovely way to make money though, at anchor. 10-15 hours a week and I'm good. But I live small.
__________________
sailorchic34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 23:12   #1179
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 614
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I use two hot spots and about 10 gigs a month, most of that cad files. USA coverge is mostly good. I've not had a problem yet, but then I'm not playing the market, so not stressed when pork belly's fall. It is possible to have two hotspots connected to a laptop at once. I have a long range wifi thingy too. but it works best as a seperate wifi port for the second hot spot.

It's a lovely way to make money though, at anchor. 10-15 hours a week and I'm good. But I live small.
I'm a pro editor, not a trader. I can space out jobs 1-4 days when needed, yet full-time access is required. Also, we will "occasionally" do passages, so regardless of in harbor, at anchor, at a distant atoll, or traversing big blue, we need a dome and satellite connections - full time. A somewhat different business than yours, I suppose. As far as hours per week actually at the laptop, I'm good at between 20-25. Wake up, make coffee, check e-mail, estimate hours needed for jobs, go topside, have a swim, eat lunch, have a nap, take another swim, do some work, have dinner.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:08   #1180
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: daytona beach florida
Boat: csy 37
Posts: 2,844
Images: 1
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
It is possible to have two hotspots connected to a laptop at once. I have a long range wifi thingy too. but it works best as a seperate wifi port for the second.
Is it possible to connect a "real" antenna to one of those cell phone hotspots?
__________________
Take two at low eight
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:29   #1181
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read the entire thread, but one thing that seems like a good way to supplement the cruising kitty is to create a wifi hotspot on board to share our internet and charge at whatever...$5 hr or something. Cruisers are always looking for internet and often don't have the means to pick up a decent signal. Of course there's a lot of ifs and buts but I'm sure all could be worked around. A couple of examples would be
We are anchored Ina. Harbour and have a good connection using a wifi extender antenna. We share the connection and charge at a fair rate
Or
We have a 3G data plan and share that
Obviously data costs need to be considered so perhaps the connection speed would need to be throttled etc.
Curious as to whether anyone has done or thought about these possibilities.
Payment would be by a quick PayPal or visa screen.
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 23:07   #1182
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 183
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read the entire thread, but one thing that seems like a good way to supplement the cruising kitty is to create a wifi hotspot on board to share our internet and charge at whatever...$5 hr or something. Cruisers are always looking for internet and often don't have the means to pick up a decent signal. Of course there's a lot of ifs and buts but I'm sure all could be worked around. A couple of examples would be
We are anchored Ina. Harbour and have a good connection using a wifi extender antenna. We share the connection and charge at a fair rate
Or
We have a 3G data plan and share that
Obviously data costs need to be considered so perhaps the connection speed would need to be throttled etc.
Curious as to whether anyone has done or thought about these possibilities.
Payment would be by a quick PayPal or visa screen.
I am afraid you have a number of competitors...
for instance : https://www.worldsim.com/tariffs-roamfree/

No contract, no subscription, top up on the go (bank card) works in 175 countries.
Use mobile phone as a router...
__________________
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:22   #1183
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I have one of those sims but with data rates of $1.50/100kb I've never used it
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:40   #1184
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,623
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I went into advertising.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:33   #1185
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Corpus Christi, Tx USA
Posts: 5
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I have a network marketing company. Everywhere I travel, I'm constantly meeting new people who either want to save money on the things they already buy, or make some extra money (or, both!). It's been very successful for me.
__________________

__________________
Pirate1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 12:17
Cruising with money... elliebell Dollars & Cents 54 18-12-2011 18:09
Does Cruising Make You Haelthier ? Domo Liveaboard's Forum 41 23-10-2011 00:19
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 04:31


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.