Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 14:19   #1171

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Welcome. Although interesting, the lifestyles of the two families you referenced are far away from anything I would ever want to wake up to each morning. Especially in the frozen arctic.

For me, you either already have the capital (i.e., the means $$$) to go cruising, or you already have an established business that you can transition onto a live aboard situation. To first have the dream of sailing, then later trying to figure out how to support yourself, is the wrong way to approach it, unless you are a gypsy at heart, with a moth-eaten t-shirt that reads "I can do without!".

There are numerous videos on-line of gypsies sailing. Mostly with broken boats, no money, and trying to find jobs scraping hulls in St. Martin in order to buy their hungry baby some food. No thanks!
No thanks either !
Anyway days of Sea-Gypsies are numbered even on canals.
There is a very politically correct way to get them evicted called Environement issues or safety standards.

As far as the Swiss family is concerned, Switzerland being not really a third world country, it would not take long to the Swiss Welfare authorities to get social workers flown wherever they are, should they suspect " hungry crying babies".
Finding "volonteers" to investigate these children well being in Australia should not prove to be difficult.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 19:53   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
No thanks either !
There is a very politically correct way to get them evicted called Environement issues or safety standards.

As far as the Swiss family is concerned, Switzerland being not really a third world country, it would not take long to the Swiss Welfare authorities to get social workers flown wherever they are, should they suspect " hungry crying babies".
Finding "volonteers" to investigate these children well being in Australia should not prove to be difficult.
Actually, I wasn't speaking so directly about child welfare. That's a much broader topic than gypsy-style live-aboard sailing escapades.

If you wish to discuss child welfare, you really need to look no further than every US inner-city housing project and suburban/countryside trailer park. Forget the ocean waves.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:06   #1173
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
No thanks either !
Bingo! The definitive money maker. Stock up on gypsy kids and deploy them to steal stuff at each port of call...

Keep 'em locked up in the bilge during passage.

(I have no idea the context of the discussion - just spitballin' here)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:30   #1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Bingo! The definitive money maker. Stock up on gypsy kids and deploy them to steal stuff at each port of call...

Keep 'em locked up in the bilge during passage.

(I have no idea the context of the discussion - just spitballin' here)
Good spitball! You're not too far off topic. My wife and I were waiting for a ferry to Zakynthos, Greece one morning back in '95, and suddenly we were surrounded by well-trained gypsy kids. They were smarter than any dog I ever owned, except Fred, our English Border Collie.

I told wifey, "Keep the bags close!"
Old 06-03-2015, 20:52   #1175
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Correct, you are living on a boat and working legally.
Depending upon your life style, you have to work six months per year or more....or just 3 months.
I have cared to read and had fun by doing so most of these 78 pages of this topic safe from posts about trading, commodities etc...
Everything useful has been said, in a much better than I could.
Working (possibly less if you are an expat "outsourced" by a compagny) raises legal issues...work permit, taxes, VAT, Insurrance...etc.
Just not worth it for a couple of weeks, let aside for a day job.
Oddly as long as I have internet, which I get Via Wifi hotspots, I can work where ever my boat is for companies in the US or elsewhere and get the money deposited my bank. I work as a freelance designer. Currently I've clients in Canada, Texas and Washington DC. I'll not get rich, but It keeps me happy the boat fixed up and best of all, I don't sit in one place.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 21:32   #1176
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

This represent little income, but still helps maintain the boat. And it provides welcome socializing, including for the kids (there are less cruising families nowadays than just 5-10 years ago, "kiddy boats" tend to be a rare sight)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ran-91153.html
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 21:37   #1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oddly as long as I have internet, which I get Via Wifi hotspots, I can work where ever my boat is for companies in the US or elsewhere and get the money deposited my bank. I work as a freelance designer. Currently I've clients in Canada, Texas and Washington DC. I'll not get rich, but It keeps me happy the boat fixed up and best of all, I don't sit in one place.
That's exactly what my wife and I have planned. My clients are in Asia, Europe, the US, and South America. The only difference is the exact occupation and the fact that I don't want to (and cannot) depend on WiFi hotspots and marina coffee shops. I need 24/7 full-time Internet access, with occasional passages. Great life if you can get it.
Old 06-03-2015, 22:10   #1178
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's exactly what my wife and I have planned. My clients are in Asia, Europe, the US, and South America. The only difference is the exact occupation and the fact that I don't want to (and cannot) depend on WiFi hotspots and marina coffee shops. I need 24/7 full-time Internet access, with occasional passages. Great life if you can get it.
I use two hot spots and about 10 gigs a month, most of that cad files. USA coverge is mostly good. I've not had a problem yet, but then I'm not playing the market, so not stressed when pork belly's fall. It is possible to have two hotspots connected to a laptop at once. I have a long range wifi thingy too. but it works best as a seperate wifi port for the second hot spot.

It's a lovely way to make money though, at anchor. 10-15 hours a week and I'm good. But I live small.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 23:12   #1179

Quote:
I use two hot spots and about 10 gigs a month, most of that cad files. USA coverge is mostly good. I've not had a problem yet, but then I'm not playing the market, so not stressed when pork belly's fall. It is possible to have two hotspots connected to a laptop at once. I have a long range wifi thingy too. but it works best as a seperate wifi port for the second hot spot.

It's a lovely way to make money though, at anchor. 10-15 hours a week and I'm good. But I live small.
I'm a pro editor, not a trader. I can space out jobs 1-4 days when needed, yet full-time access is required. Also, we will "occasionally" do passages, so regardless of in harbor, at anchor, at a distant atoll, or traversing big blue, we need a dome and satellite connections - full time. A somewhat different business than yours, I suppose. As far as hours per week actually at the laptop, I'm good at between 20-25. Wake up, make coffee, check e-mail, estimate hours needed for jobs, go topside, have a swim, eat lunch, have a nap, take another swim, do some work, have dinner.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:08   #1180

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
It is possible to have two hotspots connected to a laptop at once. I have a long range wifi thingy too. but it works best as a seperate wifi port for the second.
Is it possible to connect a "real" antenna to one of those cell phone hotspots?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:29   #1181
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read the entire thread, but one thing that seems like a good way to supplement the cruising kitty is to create a wifi hotspot on board to share our internet and charge at whatever...$5 hr or something. Cruisers are always looking for internet and often don't have the means to pick up a decent signal. Of course there's a lot of ifs and buts but I'm sure all could be worked around. A couple of examples would be
We are anchored Ina. Harbour and have a good connection using a wifi extender antenna. We share the connection and charge at a fair rate
Or
We have a 3G data plan and share that
Obviously data costs need to be considered so perhaps the connection speed would need to be throttled etc.
Curious as to whether anyone has done or thought about these possibilities.
Payment would be by a quick PayPal or visa screen.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 23:07   #1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read the entire thread, but one thing that seems like a good way to supplement the cruising kitty is to create a wifi hotspot on board to share our internet and charge at whatever...$5 hr or something. Cruisers are always looking for internet and often don't have the means to pick up a decent signal. Of course there's a lot of ifs and buts but I'm sure all could be worked around. A couple of examples would be
We are anchored Ina. Harbour and have a good connection using a wifi extender antenna. We share the connection and charge at a fair rate
Or
We have a 3G data plan and share that
Obviously data costs need to be considered so perhaps the connection speed would need to be throttled etc.
Curious as to whether anyone has done or thought about these possibilities.
Payment would be by a quick PayPal or visa screen.
I am afraid you have a number of competitors...
for instance : https://www.worldsim.com/tariffs-roamfree/

No contract, no subscription, top up on the go (bank card) works in 175 countries.
Use mobile phone as a router...
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:22   #1183
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have one of those sims but with data rates of $1.50/100kb I've never used it
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:40   #1184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I went into advertising.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:33   #1185

I have a network marketing company. Everywhere I travel, I'm constantly meeting new people who either want to save money on the things they already buy, or make some extra money (or, both!). It's been very successful for me.
Pirate1221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle