Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 22:43   #1111

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the profit-point for shale oil production ~$70 a barrel? If so, then it would seem that the foreign oil producers would strategize to keep oil at or just below that mark to discourage shale production from eating into their share of the pie.
Its quite a bit more complex than that. The $65 - $70/barrel number is a simplified metric calculated during boomtime. Here is a fairly well written article.

The shale oil revolution is in danger - Fortune

In any case, there is risk in holding the price down. Doing that will drive innovation and possibly reduce those per barrel costs. Once that happens, those producers will ramp their lower cost production and increase supplies. That new glut of oil will now pulls prices lower and hurts everyone, including the party that was originally holding the prices down. In the end, no one wins. They will never stop shale crude, but holding the price low for a while will definitely slow it down. Marginal companies will start disappearing within 6 months (closed or bought up).

My guess, is prices will stay below $60/barrel for at least a year. Then rise over 5-6 months and settle around $75-$80/barrel.

Old 01-02-2015, 23:27   #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Its quite a bit more complex than that. The $65 - $70/barrel number is a simplified metric calculated during boomtime. Here is a fairly well written article.

The shale oil revolution is in danger - Fortune
...interesting article and insight into the oil drilling business - thanks for the link and your well-reasoned theory!

Old 02-02-2015, 07:37   #1113

Boat: Newport

i concur with travelerw, that about sums up what I was going to write, he beat me to it - and therein lies the challenge in trying to profit from investing in this 'rebound theory'. You need to bet on a beat up US producer that had been oversold - but you don't want to bet on a company that may declare bankruptcy or else get bought out for a low price (if the price of oil stays low longer that they can handle).

there's no easy way to make money in the market - but assuming i had the capitol my market strategy to make money while cruising would not be based on betting on industry rebounds

- but instead would be based on buying more stable companies with large dividends -
accumulating shares on weakness, and then selling upside call options when the news is in their favor -
The high yield softens a lot of the downside in bad times and the selling of the upside calls can generate a more dependable flow of income in the good times - plus you get the dividend when you end up holding onto the stock.

This strategy is not bulletproof by any means, but it does allow you a little more control and in general, seems better suited for cruisers. I have only done this type of trading while on land with full access to the internet, but this time frame of investing could work fine even with intermittent access to internet -

anyway, that is part of my 'Polynesia' plan
Old 02-02-2015, 18:13   #1114

Boat: csy 37

Yes, Captain Curran, I bought more BP this week. I expect the price to stabilize around $70 for awhile - the oil, not the stock. Makes you wonder who is behind that Keystone pipeline, whose product isnt economically viable in this market or probably any future market.
Old 02-02-2015, 19:33   #1115

It seems like the pipeline was never a great idea and is now just a
Political talking point- I think there's plenty of good reasons
For it to not pass, falling gas price adds onto that list
Best of luck with BP, I don't follow that stock but I'm sure they're well suited
For an oil rebound.
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:34   #1116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Comprehension is key to understanding that silly article in Fortune ragazine..That article reads like a lot to do about nothing..A lot of notice should be applied to words like "not clear,then again,unclear,on average,typically,forecast,variable,hard to predict,underestimate,ingenuity of entrepreneurs,new technologies,difficult to know and the big two upheaval and WAR .. How could anyone come to a conclusion with those type words being bandied about ?..I believe Washington will be sending lethal(although defensive)aid to Ukraine soon and those winter storm records being recorded and reported(funny how local weather reports become world headlines)are not being reported because they make good headlines in themselves,they are like warnings to the trouble makers right before you have to "get physical" ie . "you dont want to mess with me".."I have a black belt in ass kicking" "Just look at my abilitys,do you really want to go a round or two with the likes of me"? "Look closely at how powerful I am" etc..Sun Tzu said that he who controls the heavens and the earth wins the war..He also said "when strong appear weak", "when weak appear strong"..A lot people out there trying to appear strong when they are really weak ie. China ,Russia and some that are really strong trying to appear weak...Any other way of looking at this is so 20th century..just my opinion..But if someone wants to make money while cruising seems to me all you have to do this day and time is look for commodity's in one country and rum run them to another, it worked during all the other tumultuous times in history..The son of a son of a sailor kind of thing...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20   #1117

Rum running definitely seems more fun than staring at a computer screen and looking for indicators of stock price movement on technical charting software...

that's really my primary problem with playing the market, it becomes just another reason for me to be attached to my laptop...

good luck with the contraband racket - maybe bring some iphones to trade with remote pacific islanders?
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02   #1118
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curran View Post
Rum running definitely seems more fun than staring at a computer screen and looking for indicators of stock price movement on technical charting software...

that's really my primary problem with playing the market, it becomes just another reason for me to be attached to my laptop...

good luck with the contraband racket - maybe bring some iphones to trade with remote pacific islanders?
Outboard engine parts,free diving gear,American cigs, tobacco ,XXX large American made t shirts , shorts and towels always sell well in those type environs ,make sure they are all packed and labeled with a friends name as a gift or be prepared to pay duties and meet tariffs ..ask me how I know...?Good luck with what ever you chose..
Old 06-02-2015, 06:53   #1119
Marine Service Provider

A few months back a good friend in Jamaica called me and said that he couldnt stand another day without some sort of work,seems that everything is at a stand still..He propositioned me with a business plan..I sent him $400.00 (US) and we bought 200 chickens and feed for a few months,Sent $160.00 more and planted 60 cocoa trees and 120 cassava plants..He projects that he should be able to harvest the chickens and sell them to the local school and market the casava to a few hotels on the north shore..The cocoa will be marketed here in the US to one of the many start ups that seem to be gaining ground with the economic uptick..I will not make any money for a cruising budget but I will have part ownership in a tract of land in the Sant Cruz area and will be helping a young child get her education..Someone could do something similar in their hometown before heading out and return home long enough to harvest and market their wares then return to the sea and repeat the process over and over until they get to the point of satisfaction or something else strikes their fancy..It could be a double edge financial sword if one were to take commodity's down(Caribbean or where ever) and return with a commodity to sell state side..Might just work..
Old 06-02-2015, 08:36   #1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
A few months back a good friend in Jamaica called me and said that he couldnt stand another day without some sort of work,seems that everything is at a stand still..He propositioned me with a business plan..I sent him $400.00 (US) and we bought 200 chickens and feed for a few months,Sent $160.00 more and planted 60 cocoa trees and 120 cassava plants..He projects that he should be able to harvest the chickens and sell them to the local school and market the casava to a few hotels on the north shore..The cocoa will be marketed here in the US to one of the many start ups that seem to be gaining ground with the economic uptick..I will not make any money for a cruising budget but I will have part ownership in a tract of land in the Sant Cruz area and will be helping a young child get her education..Someone could do something similar in their hometown before heading out and return home long enough to harvest and market their wares then return to the sea and repeat the process over and over until they get to the point of satisfaction or something else strikes their fancy..It could be a double edge financial sword if one were to take commodity's down(Caribbean or where ever) and return with a commodity to sell state side..Might just work..
Sounds similar to Kiva
Old 08-02-2015, 14:07   #1121

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Yes, I have, are you in the Sanford Marina?
Old 09-02-2015, 15:56   #1122

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

I get by on a lot of the points mentioned already- contract maintenance, charter work, sail repair etc.
When it comes to funding refits or any other big expense, I find that treasure hunting works out surprisingly well.
I started out collecting lead in the form of dead batteries left at the handstand oil dump. It wasn't long before other boaties would drop them off to my boat, figuring I could do with the extra help. I then bought a cheap metal detector so I could take full advantage of the friendship I was building with the local scrappy. These days I can make around a grand a week if I do the hard yards at the beach or hit the library and find out where the good pickings should be.
The key is to avoid any area where there could be a high heritage value to whatever you find. I tend to target the top 2-4 inches of soil when I search, as this is where you find small items of high value which haven't been there that long.
It makes for pretty unreliable income but, if you don't count on it, it all helps.
Google ambergris as well. I know people that do alright on it. Now that I have a boat that's ready for the Southern Ocean, I'm looking into spending the winter hunting for the stuff.

Peace.
Old 09-02-2015, 16:06   #1123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr42 View Post
I get by on a lot of the points mentioned already- contract maintenance, charter work, sail repair etc.
When it comes to funding refits or any other big expense, I find that treasure hunting works out surprisingly well.
I started out collecting lead in the form of dead batteries left at the handstand oil dump. It wasn't long before other boaties would drop them off to my boat, figuring I could do with the extra help. I then bought a cheap metal detector so I could take full advantage of the friendship I was building with the local scrappy. These days I can make around a grand a week if I do the hard yards at the beach or hit the library and find out where the good pickings should be.
The key is to avoid any area where there could be a high heritage value to whatever you find. I tend to target the top 2-4 inches of soil when I search, as this is where you find small items of high value which haven't been there that long.
It makes for pretty unreliable income but, if you don't count on it, it all helps.
Google ambergris as well. I know people that do alright on it. Now that I have a boat that's ready for the Southern Ocean, I'm looking into spending the winter hunting for the stuff.

Peace.
What does that mean in clockwise English?
Old 09-02-2015, 16:44   #1124

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What does that mean in clockwise English?
He uses a metal detector to find lost valuables at the beach. He does better if he researches likely spots to find good stuff.
Old 09-02-2015, 17:04   #1125

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
He uses a metal detector to find lost valuables at the beach. He does better if he researches likely spots to find good stuff.

Yep.

Sorry, I'm from New Zealand.

Chur bro', tumeke.

Peace.

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: