Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 13:20   #1036

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaievgeniy View Post
Hi all, I am from Ukraine and I quite new to cruising. I was pushed to idea of leaving on board because of war. I have read your ideas of earning money during trip. So many people dreaming about the same way of living. You can make your our own foundation with bonds. Every involved people or supportive buying bonds. Developing foundation you can hire financial/investment manager. Bonds is your guarantee to get monthly dividends. No bank commissions, no bank fees. Foundation(organization) can take part in research, charity, filming, logistic, chartering, crewing, marketing activities etc. Just thoughts. And I am sorry for my poor English.
Hi, I think we might be missing out on your use of the word "bonds". Are you talking about selling a bond, or buying a bond?

In any case, to address some of your ideas:
- Research; if you're a qualified researcher you might be able to get some grant money to do something from your boat - I like the idea, but my very small experience with the scientific world tells me that's very difficult to do even if you are associated with a research facility, such as a University.
- Charity; I like this idea for those who can raise money for charities. The concept is a good one if you have the savvy to do it.
- Boat based business (filming, chartering, etc) these may be good ways to supplement your income if you have the contacts and/or credentials.

All have the potential issues typically related with working outside your own country - you need permits, visa's, etc.

If it were legal for any of us to work anywhere in the world, this would not even be a topic. Any of us could go anywhere, find a paying job that suits our skills, and earn enough income to "stay afloat".

The problem is that for most of us, it is illegal to do any kind of work - though the charitable foundation is an interesting twist.... that might get you access to a lot of markets, including Cuba.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 13:29   #1037

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I think I get it. I believe he is talking about a Charitable Trust, and investing in bonds for dividends.

However, that doesn't solve the problem of earning extra money while cruising.

Many of us do not have enough money to live off investment interest alone - this thread is about learning to earn ongoing income while traveling the world.

Or maybe about using a charity to accept payment - "contributions" in lieu of "payments" - for services rendered.

Well, I don't know if I've deciphered his intent correctly, but he has given me at least three new ideas!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 06:19   #1038

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I think I get it. I believe he is talking about a Charitable Trust, and investing in bonds for dividends.

However, that doesn't solve the problem of earning extra money while cruising.

Many of us do not have enough money to live off investment interest alone - this thread is about learning to earn ongoing income while traveling the world.

Or maybe about using a charity to accept payment - "contributions" in lieu of "payments" - for services rendered.

Well, I don't know if I've deciphered his intent correctly, but he has given me at least three new ideas!

Don't off shore banks pay a higher interest rate then the States do?
Old 13-09-2014, 19:45   #1039
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Fess up David. Sounds like an infomercial where you pronounce to not only be the CEO, but also a satisfied client! Full disclosure ....
I have tried posting detailed info several times - but the mods keep deleting it.....

.....Might be the pictures?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 11:52   #1040
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, Dave, it sounds like you have found an underserved off-label niche market (pun intended) for tooth whitening strips. Now I understand why they are so popular.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 18:34   #1041
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well, well, I might be upping my game a bit. I've been pondering doing contract tele-comuting engineering on a project basis to consulting engineering companies that want a high powered engineer, without the high power cost and overhead.

A laptop, cad software and a cell hot spot and I'll be able to refresh the kitty just about anyway. Mainly by working for just a few US clients. Just sent back my first RFQ back today.

Who knows I might make it up to a $1000/month cruiser. At the very least, I'll be able to afford new flip flops.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 06:34   #1042
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Wow! That's great news SC! I am pulling for you and any engineering company would be lucky to have your expertise on tap.

Doubling your budget?

OMG! How will you spend all that disposable income? JK - As we all know budgets expand to exceed income - fact of life...

You go girl!

PS - Just don't tell your boat - She'll figure out all kinds of mean ways to spend your money...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 07:28   #1043
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well, well, I might be upping my game a bit. I've been pondering doing contract tele-comuting engineering on a project basis to consulting engineering companies that want a high powered engineer, without the high power cost and overhead.

A laptop, cad software and a cell hot spot and I'll be able to refresh the kitty just about anyway. Mainly by working for just a few US clients. Just sent back my first RFQ back today.

Who knows I might make it up to a $1000/month cruiser. At the very least, I'll be able to afford new flip flops.

Good news and good luck.

So will you be buying new rubber, Walmart flip flops or the good ones from the surf shop?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 07:31   #1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Don't off shore banks pay a higher interest rate then the States do?
Just like with banks in the United States, it varies. Some pay more (generally those with greater risk) and some pay less (generally those with less risk).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 10:32   #1045
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Good news and good luck.

So will you be buying new rubber, Walmart flip flops or the good ones from the surf shop?
I am so high maintenance, I go for the high end crocs flip flops, though the clearance sale ones. So comfy...

The reality will be that I will continue to hold the line at the $500-$600 cruising level and put the rest away for rainy days or more likely new bottom paint. Life is more interesting when one shops the discount racks at good will.

OK I'm slightly weird, I don't want or need more stuff.
Old 15-09-2014, 11:35   #1046

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

@ Sailorchic

Wha What!

I can sweep floors.
Old 15-09-2014, 16:02   #1047

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Wow! That's great news SC! I am pulling for you and any engineering company would be lucky to have your expertise on tap.

Doubling your budget?

OMG! How will you spend all that disposable income? JK - As we all know budgets expand to exceed income - fact of life...

You go girl!

PS - Just don't tell your boat - She'll figure out all kinds of mean ways to spend your money..
I agree with Ex-Calif.

Congratulations. I hope it works out for you. Just don't make it a "job".
Old 15-09-2014, 17:19   #1048
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I agree with Ex-Calif.

Congratulations. I hope it works out for you. Just don't make it a "job".
Oh trust me, I only want to do that tele-work thingy, just enough to make ends meet, and a bit more for rainy weather, while still being at anchor or a really cheap marina. No 9 to 5 for this girl.
Old 15-09-2014, 19:25   #1049

Excuse my ignorance, but I have to ask. I am looking into how liveaboard make money and there is the charting you boat.

What is charting a boat?

Thanks

P.s. I never sailed my entire life, but looking into this lifestyle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Pssquadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 20:53   #1050

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssquadou View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but I have to ask. I am looking into how liveaboard make money and there is the charting you boat.

What is charting a boat?

Thanks

P.s. I never sailed my entire life, but looking into this lifestyle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I think you mean "Chartering Your Boat"!

This means having paying guest aboard your boat. Kind of like a floating hotel. People stay with you for 1 or 2 weeks and pay for you to take them around, feed them, and clean up after them.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle