Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:07   #961
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I didn't make it through the entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but the answer is video.

Today, few people read books, which is how the it was done in the past. Now everyone wants video.

Record video constantly, edit together the best clips of the entire trip including storms, or calms, women, swimming, broken equipment, etc, or simply explain how you are navigating, what you are doing and why.

Upload to youtube and other video sites, accepting advertising and clicks.

Once you have a bunch of video up there, you can start getting other businesses purchase an advertisement, or get products in exchange for you using it on the trip. The money comes in while you are sailing.

As much as I hate advertising being worked into every video, it would work and require no real "work" on your part other than sailing, turning on gopro's, and editing video later.

I know it works, because I have people who do this for my own business... we supply products, they use it and review it and get millions of hits. Helps them get hits and increase value of their video, helps me sell products. Win/Win.

This is my first post to the forum, hope it helps.

P.S. Please, for all that is left in the world which is good, do not create fake drama... we don't need more fake reality shows.

Tom
__________________

__________________
vic20owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:19   #962
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,309
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
I didn't make it through the entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but the answer is video.

Today, few people read books, which is how the it was done in the past. Now everyone wants video.

Record video constantly, edit together the best clips of the entire trip including storms, or calms, women, swimming, broken equipment, etc, or simply explain how you are navigating, what you are doing and why.

Upload to youtube and other video sites, accepting advertising and clicks.

Once you have a bunch of video up there, you can start getting other businesses purchase an advertisement, or get products in exchange for you using it on the trip. The money comes in while you are sailing.

As much as I hate advertising being worked into every video, it would work and require no real "work" on your part other than sailing, turning on gopro's, and editing video later.

I know it works, because I have people who do this for my own business... we supply products, they use it and review it and get millions of hits. Helps them get hits and increase value of their video, helps me sell products. Win/Win.

This is my first post to the forum, hope it helps.

P.S. Please, for all that is left in the world which is good, do not create fake drama... we don't need more fake reality shows.

Tom
Hey Tom....you are basically describing a YouTube video cruising blog, which is a great idea. Don't under estimate the time it would take to make a nice one, however. Anyone can point a Iphone and talk about the anchorage they are in, but putting together quality videos and segments that people would come back to see is a LOT of work...but on the other hand it would make money....hands down. Another BUT...the dream/myth of having people give you free stuff. I get a call per week...yet...sometimes TWO and they go like this.

"We are going cruisng and if you give us a water maker, CoolBlue refrigerator one of everything else you make and sell we will talk good about you and your product in our blog. People love us. We are popular. We are hip and cool. We will be a big hit for you".

I could write a book about the pitches...and so have all the other cruising gear manufactures, we joke about this standing aroud at the boat shows and swap stories.

So before you start approaching vendors, you will need a working, functioning blog with FOLLOWERS. Not just a dream or promise because we get those every day.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:05   #963
Registered User
 
sparrowhawk1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami Beach Fl
Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Posts: 1,107
Upload to youtube and other video sites

I know it works, because I have people who do this for my own business... we supply products, they use it and review it and get millions of hits. Helps them get hits and increase value of their video, helps me sell products. Win/Win.

This is my first post to the forum, hope it helps

Tom[/QUOTE]


Awesome first post keep them coming. Edit: and don't forget to introduce yourself on the meets and greets
__________________
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:31   #964

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12,167
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

That's kinda like a crowdsourcing alternative to saying "Freelance for the sailing magazines" except of course, folks who can do that probably already had the skills and were already being authors. In a really competitive field.

Just how many views do you need on a Utube video in order to earn one Yankee dollar anyway?

Oh, and creating drama? That's the difference between Clark Kent and Ernest Hemingway. Nothing wrong with drama, it sells!
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:43   #965
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That's kinda like a crowdsourcing alternative to saying "Freelance for the sailing magazines" except of course, folks who can do that probably already had the skills and were already being authors. In a really competitive field.

Just how many views do you need on a Utube video in order to earn one Yankee dollar anyway?

Oh, and creating drama? That's the difference between Clark Kent and Ernest Hemingway. Nothing wrong with drama, it sells!
Agree, but truth will always sell longer than lies. People will smell a rat eventually and hate you for it. Fiction is one thing, but fake reality is not the same thing.

"Tinkerbell" is a much more interesting story than Balloon Boy... don't be Balloon Boy.

__________________
vic20owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:46   #966
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
"We are going cruisng and if you give us a water maker, CoolBlue refrigerator one of everything else you make and sell we will talk good about you and your product in our blog. People love us. We are popular. We are hip and cool. We will be a big hit for you".

I could write a book about the pitches...and so have all the other cruising gear manufactures, we joke about this standing aroud at the boat shows and swap stories.

So before you start approaching vendors, you will need a working, functioning blog with FOLLOWERS. Not just a dream or promise because we get those every day.
I agree with this completely, I forgot to mention all of the sales pitches we would get, no kidding: "I just got an ambulance with 40" rims and a boom box the size of a coke machine. Bro I got it all for free to promise to pimp it at sporting events. Can we have your (product) for free so we can pimp it in our ambulance... Bro we are huge"

Short answer: No. Long Answer: No thanks.

Be professional and be treated like a professional. Build a reputation not a gimmick.
__________________
vic20owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:58   #967
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
don't forget to introduce yourself on the meets and greets
Where can I find the meets and greets?
Thanks
Tom
__________________
vic20owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 20:34   #968
Registered User
 
sparrowhawk1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami Beach Fl
Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post

Where can I find the meets and greets?
Thanks
Tom
Click on forums then welcome aboard then meets and greets
__________________
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:49   #969
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 45' CC ketch
Posts: 321
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
I didn't make it through the entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but the answer is video.
That's exactly what I have been telling my cruiser friends. One vid is nothing, get 1000's and then it will be something. I know people living off Youtube's profits. 1000 impressions get them something like 2-3-4 dollars. They have 1000's of clips though.

And no need to build a video blog. Just film film film, cut in pieces, and post. About anything, but preferably using proper keywords. There is a whole bunch of tutorials available.

That's something I would do if I wouldn't already have my business. Easy, fun, and starts being profitable after you get enough stuff out there.
__________________
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:08   #970
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Seaward 22
Posts: 655
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Rick Moore is doing this youtube thing. Never thought about him making a buck off me watching it. Good for him though.

No affiliation, just a happy watcher when I need a tropical fix.




https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIc...ZofseMdrJUKMhQ
__________________
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 10:13   #971
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 45' CC ketch
Posts: 321
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Rick Moore is doing this youtube thing. Never thought about him making a buck off me watching it.
He has only 271 videos, so he is unlikely to make any serious dinero - yet, but if he keeps doing it, and add a couple thousands more, then...

Excellent videos though!
__________________
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 10:45   #972
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
This part of your "investing", if it was during the year I am guessing means you were simply not paying attention. Or paying attention to the wrong persons.
I think your response shows that you are not paying attention to the risks of depending on cash allocation with respect to speculative systems.
__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 14:37   #973
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,838
Images: 4
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I think your response shows that you are not paying attention to the risks of depending on cash allocation with respect to speculative systems.
Uhhhhh......??
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 22:50   #974
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Being tied to a marina would just about end my cruising days.
__________________
ciblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 17:25   #975
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 9
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Lol, great dedication & summary Hank! This is my first read as a member of the forum. So glad I saw your post I would add- be a business owner that can leave & trust their management to run things in their absence. That is my hope for the future!!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
IslandSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 12:17
Cruising with money... elliebell Dollars & Cents 54 18-12-2011 18:09
Does Cruising Make You Haelthier ? Domo Liveaboard's Forum 41 23-10-2011 00:19
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 04:31


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.