Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 07:07   #856

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

The below might also be helpful. This is the current standing of the open trades as of today. I highlighted the columns showing the P&L for each trade for last (yesterday's closing value), best since the trade was made and worst (maximum draw down of capital) to give an idea of the ebb and flow on a trade by trade basis.

The column "Sprd" shows the long and short legs of each spread in the symbols used by the exchanges. If you want to know what they mean, you can Google "commodity xx" to identify them. Maintaining these spreads takes around 30 minutes per week, or more if you are obsessive/compulsive, which is not a beneficial trait in a trader, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Review.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	80765  

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34   #857
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
there are only three ways to make money while cruising - labor, capital and welfare.

To each his own.
I Just see a little problem with your three ways to make money. Based on the Fed propping up the stock market with QE Infinity, a very good case can be made that there is no difference between Welfare and Capital these days. Especially if you are deamed too big to fail. Take away the free money the fed is pumping into the stock market and what happens....it crashes along with your Cruising Kitty. The new welfare queen wears a suit...or makes internet investment posts about get rich schemes on the internet...to each his own.

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I Just see a little problem with your three ways to make money. Based on the Fed propping up the stock market with QE Infinity, a very good case can be made that there is no difference between Welfare and Capital these days. Especially if you are deamed too big to fail. Take away the free money the fed is pumping into the stock market and what happens....it crashes along with your Cruising Kitty. The new welfare queen wears a suit...or makes internet investment posts about get rich schemes on the internet...to each his own.
If spread trading had the slightest thing to do with general market direction you might have a point. It doesn't, so you don't.

The only thing required for spread trading to work is that prices change. Up or down makes zero difference.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:47   #859
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Up or down makes zero difference.
True in SO many ways.......
Old 08-05-2014, 11:45   #860

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

I'd still like to hear more about the investment strategies.

Even something as basic as trend trading would work for cruisers. Trade while you're in port with a wifi signal and close up shop just before you start the next part of your cruise. You probably won't get rich but it could keep the kitty topped up.

The problem for most folks will be coming up with the minimum investment (say around $10,000) that they could afford to lose.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
I'd still like to hear more about the investment strategies.

Even something as basic as trend trading would work for cruisers. Trade while you're in port with a wifi signal and close up shop just before you start the next part of your cruise. You probably won't get rich but it could keep the kitty topped up.

The problem for most folks will be coming up with the minimum investment (say around $10,000) that they could afford to lose.
I've looked at trend trading and worked on my own algorithms, but they do make me nervous. That is what I like about spreads. Although the concept will fly over the heads of some, market direction, which is the trigger point for trend trading, is immaterial. It is just the historic relationship between legs of the spread over time that determine entry and exit points. Because these entry and exit points are pre-scheduled, you can enter them with an automatic close out and sail over the horizon. Because you are entering multiple such spread trades, the aggregate is what yields profit, with some losing, but enough winning you come out well ahead.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08   #862
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Not saying.. don't need the competition..

"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15   #863
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Even something as basic as trend trading would work for cruisers."
Slight correction there. Not would work for cruisers, but could work for cruisers. Or more precisely, trading (of any kind) could work for anyone.

What you fail to notice is that amateur trading usually and inevitably results in financial disaster for the vast majority of the players. It is a zero-sum game, and to feed every big winner, there have to be a larger number of big losers. Significantly larger, as two sets of brokerage fees have to come out of every transaction as well.

Lots of folks make money selling seminars and schemes and software. If they really knew how to make a sure-fire profit trading, they wouldn't need to waste their time making so much less on all those other schemes, would they?

Profitable trading requires full-time attention and at least one news feed at your ear 24x7. Whenever someone suggests it is easy for the uninitiated to jump in and become traders or investors, I ask them, "And how many million did you make last year?"
Old 08-05-2014, 12:31   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Even something as basic as trend trading would work for cruisers."
Slight correction there. Not would work for cruisers, but could work for cruisers. Or more precisely, trading (of any kind) could work for anyone.

What you fail to notice is that amateur trading usually and inevitably results in financial disaster for the vast majority of the players. It is a zero-sum game, and to feed every big winner, there have to be a larger number of big losers. Significantly larger, as two sets of brokerage fees have to come out of every transaction as well.

Lots of folks make money selling seminars and schemes and software. If they really knew how to make a sure-fire profit trading, they wouldn't need to waste their time making so much less on all those other schemes, would they?

Profitable trading requires full-time attention and at least one news feed at your ear 24x7. Whenever someone suggests it is easy for the uninitiated to jump in and become traders or investors, I ask them, "And how many million did you make last year?"
Sorry, simply incorrect. In the same way that you noted that "would work" is better stated "could work", it is also correct that spread trading is not a zero sum game; that some traders, like me, don't bother with any other trading method; that the only 'amateur traders' I know of following the MRCI approach are people on this forum who have the same results I have so do not inevitably lose anything; that you do not need a data feed because you don't need to monitor the markets but once a week if you want to; and that saying that with commodity trading a winner denotes a loser just means you don't understand what commodity trading is all about.

And just as an FYI, no one is selling anything.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41   #865
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
....and that saying that with commodity trading a winner denotes a loser just means you don't understand what commodity trading is all about.

And just as an FYI, no one is selling anything.
Or could it be that someone doesn't understand who cruisers are and what they are all about? Your're selling something all right. Sorry that it's irritating to you if we are not buying it. But keep selling, it's entertaining to watch...
Old 08-05-2014, 13:02   #866

Quote:
Or could it be that someone doesn't understand who cruisers are and what they are all about? Your're selling something all right. Sorry that it's irritating to you if we are not buying it. But keep selling, it's entertaining to watch...
Just because you don't understand the "make money while cruising" method he is using doesn't mean you should try to discount it. The method is the best on this thread, IMHO. Perhaps you should add to the discussion and give reasons why you don't like it. Otherwise save your popcorn.
Old 08-05-2014, 13:13   #867
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Just because you don't understand the "make money while cruising" method he is using doesn't mean you should try to discount it. The method is the best on this thread, IMHO. Perhaps you should add to the discussion and give reasons why you don't like it. Otherwise save your popcorn.
Easy...get rich by working the market type of schemes like these are as old as the stock market. It's been missed by everyone else, all the rocket smart folks on Wall Street but YOU can do it with your cruising kitty....ha ha ha...I have to call BS when I see it folks. It's a weakness I have to see something ridiculous and not say so. Could Delphin make money with it...sure...and I believe he is. But and here is the BUT...advizing people to risk their cruising kitty on such things is nuts. But hey...Flip This House was actually a TV Show....where are they now...not out cruising!
Old 08-05-2014, 13:14   #868

Quote:
Having spent 30 years cruising, I think I have a pretty good idea what the lifestyle is about. I post on this subject because the world is full of people who have worked hard, and want to enjoy cruising without starving. Whether they agree with me or not doesn't make any practical difference to me since I have no skin in their game, although it is gratifying that the few who have given this approach have reported that their lives have improved and their bank accounts gotten fatter. You can ask them what they think my motivation is, since they paid me nothing.

But you seem oddly enthusiastic about people not making money and being less well off than they could. Is this just a case of misery loves company? And do you find that poor people are more likely to buy the cruising products you sell than people with income?

I guess this is what the ignore button is designed for.
Old 08-05-2014, 13:18   #869
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

But you seem oddly enthusiastic about people not making money and being less well off than they could. Is this just a case of misery loves company? And do you find that poor people are more likely to buy the cruising products you sell than people with income?

I guess this is what the ignore button is designed for.

Nope...I'm a huge believer in making money while cruising, having done it myself and seen many friends do it. Anything you can do back at the office/desk with a phone and computer you can do out cruising these days...easy as pie.

If you call "Misery" retired at 38...and living aboard enjoying the day....yep...color me Miserable...

The ignore button...na...that is what folks uncomfortable in seeing oposing viewpoints use...I wouldn't know about that.
Old 08-05-2014, 13:19   #870
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rich-
"Flip This House was actually a TV Show"
Still is on the air! And one hopes they're still getting royalties for their performances, as they certainly are performances. S'posed to be the fliup market is hot once again, too. Except now it is "fix it up and rent it out" and I heartfeltedly enjoy hearing and reading how it is SO much smarter to rent than to buy...and then the next week, the same folks say it is SO much better to be a landlord than to flip...and then....Yeah, Great White Father with Forked Tongue and all that good stuff. Tastes great! Less filling!

The shaving cream that doubles as a toothpaste. Or is it, hair polish? So hard to tell these days...

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: