Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 14:49   #601

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

That's petty good...It self regulates you. If you're too wasted to make a bird, you've had enough...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 16:11   #602

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post

I also build custom cast nets.

It works for me.
I always wondered how one could make those little squares (bait net) perfect without some sort of machine. Would like to see it. And a bird too!
Old 12-10-2013, 17:13   #603
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I always wondered how one could make those little squares (bait net) perfect without some sort of machine. Would like to see it. And a bird too!
Half inch PVC pipe formed into a square and you have a frame cut out a fidd from a milk carton...,
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 02:35   #604

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

The nets are made from webbing, which is netting fabric. It is cut into wedges or skirts, depending on the net style, and the pieces are sewn into a complete net.

Machines tie all the little squares, and the webbing is heat stretched, to give it the right "lay", and to set the knots. Even on larger mesh nets, webbing is used. Tying knots is too slow, and the mono has a "curly" uneven texture if not heat set. There is very little demand for hand tied nets.

The pre made bait nets coming out of China are so cheap that it is not worth competing on those types, but custom nets of non-standard sizes have to be custom made.
Old 13-10-2013, 05:57   #605
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
The nets are made from webbing, which is netting fabric. It is cut into wedges or skirts, depending on the net style, and the pieces are sewn into a complete net.

Machines tie all the little squares, and the webbing is heat stretched, to give it the right "lay", and to set the knots. Even on larger mesh nets, webbing is used. Tying knots is too slow, and the mono has a "curly" uneven texture if not heat set. There is very little demand for hand tied nets.

The pre made bait nets coming out of China are so cheap that it is not worth competing on those types, but custom nets of non-standard sizes have to be custom made.
I made small nets to hang along the couch roof and a big one for me to hang around in,get the different colors of nylon and everything starts to look like a Deadhead has been hanging around! I like plain old white..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:12   #606

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 24-10-2013, 07:44   #607

So for us, we'll be sewing our way around the world......[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! I hope this is working for you!
finalfantasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 15:03   #608

I'm a database guy and most of work these days can be done remote as well as writing books. Long term, I'd like to get trained on boat maintenance and someday advance to skipper level with training. Sail tours would be a possibility but think you need some sort of commercial license.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58   #609

Work offshore! I've worked offshore for the last 18 years and have a nice month on month off rotation that I plan to capitalize on while sailing the Caribbean. I've gained enough experience that I let my company know where I am and they arrange my flight for my next month of work. In another couple years, I'll go back to contract work and plan on working just a couple months a year.

It does take a little while to gain enough experience to get the benefits of having a company fly you in for the job, but if you're young and start out living on a boat and working close to some of the major offshore hubs, like Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Northern Florida, Perth Australia, Singapore, Aberdeen Scotland, the Med, or up around the North Sea. But after you do have the experience, you can work your way around the world freelancing. Some offshore jobs freelancing pay up to $50k/month for managers, while $20-30k for a technician. That would feed the Kitty for a while.
Sailor_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:59   #610

@Sailor_Pete, I plan to do this when I am semi-retired and have decided where to retire.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39   #611

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Pete View Post
Work offshore! I've worked offshore for the last 18 years and have a nice month on month off rotation that I plan to capitalize on while sailing the Caribbean. I've gained enough experience that I let my company know where I am and they arrange my flight for my next month of work. In another couple years, I'll go back to contract work and plan on working just a couple months a year.

It does take a little while to gain enough experience to get the benefits of having a company fly you in for the job, but if you're young and start out living on a boat and working close to some of the major offshore hubs, like Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Northern Florida, Perth Australia, Singapore, Aberdeen Scotland, the Med, or up around the North Sea. But after you do have the experience, you can work your way around the world freelancing. Some offshore jobs freelancing pay up to $50k/month for managers, while $20-30k for a technician. That would feed the Kitty for a while.
as in oil rigs?
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:12   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
as in oil rigs?
Yeah, oil rigs. Though I'm not fond of rigs. I've worked with ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) doing subsea construction off vessels for most of my career. There are Survey Jobs, ROV jobs, Maritime jobs an d rig jobs. Just depends. I may be biased, but I think ROV is the better way to go with the market (and pay) expanding rapidly.
Sailor_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 06:30   #613

Boat: Beneteau 41
Yeah, oil rigs. There is a boom going on in the oil fields and if you are working in the industry pay is really good. We generally do a rotation on the rigs. In my case I work 31 days on the rig and that qualifies me for 31 days off to go and do what I want. I work less than 6 months a year and sail the other 6. One of the requirements is I have to be able to fly back to work. Oddly enough, almost every island in the Caribbean has an airport so I'm not limited to where I can go. When I have to leave, I leave the boat at a good marina that will watch it for me and send grandma off to watch grand babies at the kid's until I get back. Had to work 40 years to get to this point but it's worth it now.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 17:42   #614

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

[Maynard G. Krebbs mode ON] Work?? [OFF]

I'm independently wealthy, aren't all cruisers? I have a tribe of Oompah-Loompahs back home who slave away to keep me in the manner to which I'm accustomed. Satisfying AND delicious.

[Waits of shower of "Are you married?" replies. *long pause* Not a sausage.]

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:25   #615

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Here is a great idea that did not work!

OK I know everybody is looking for THE way to make money, not how NOT to make money, but eliminating a possibility is a valid exercise and a good way for other people to avoid an expensive mistake.

I had the great idea of writing a book for children all about going to the beach with lots information about drinking water to keep hydrated, marine animals and fun activities like mazes and pages to color etc. I thought I could translate it into several languages and print it on the go and sell it like hotcakes wherever I went...

So I invested in a couple of laser printers (one color and the other monochromatic) plus bulk toner so I could refill the cartridges myself to keep costs as low as possible and a nice professional guillotine: all to make the book as nice as possible. In fact many people were surprised when I told them I had printed it myself.

Result: a complete waste of time and investment. Nobody bought it, they did not even look at it to see if the contents were interesting or not. Many kids asked for it and were very disappointed when their parents would rather spend their cash on a can of beer (in fact I was offering the book for less than the cost of a beer!).
I was waved away like one would wave away a beggar or drunk bumming a cigarette...

(Can't sell it on Amazon as I ripped off the images from Google... LOL).
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle