Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 21:49   #586
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

You will just work under the radar, taking a much lower wage than you are used to, but since your cruising expenses will be so much less than your land ones were, it will work out.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 23:23   #587

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive worked in a lot of other countrys! If you have something they need, folks will find a way to get ya a work permit! Of course ya mite be workin for less then you are used to, but it will pay the bills ! Connie has worked in a lot of places as a RN even tho she might not be lic. there! It's plain amazing what folks can get done with the rules when they need your abiltys! Just sayin if ya have a good trade, and your GOOD at it you will find work most of the time! And I have charged other cruisers for engine, and work of this sort ! But at nowhere near the amount that would be charged in any shop ! I did a valve job with hand tools on a fellas diesel in a ancorage in belize, charged him 40 bucks and a lobster dinner! Im a real rip off !! LOL
Old 03-09-2013, 23:36   #588

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
So what do cruisers do when their diesel engine stops running, or their fridge or SSB radio stops working? They just give up and never get it fixed?

I've never seen a diesel mechanic, refrigeration tech or electronic tech work for free or just for beer...

Well, at the very least, I'll be able to keep my own stuff running! LOL
I thnk you'll find that cruisers tend to help each other for free (or beer or dinner) Very few people can repair every single item on their boat (how good are you at sewing sails?) and will themselves need help sooner or later.

Karma - what you give comes back

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 23:38   #589

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
So what do cruisers do when their diesel engine stops running, or their fridge or SSB radio stops working? They just give up and never get it fixed?
I've never seen a diesel mechanic, refrigeration tech or electronic tech work for free or just for beer...
Ah! Now you are getting into the realm of the very old threads of "cruising on $500 month" and alternatively, ". . . $5000 month." The answer is the long distance/world cruiser either has the money to pay to get it fixed by a local technician or, if not, fixes it themselves.

In the case of the $500/month world cruiser, they don't have systems on their boats that require expensive or highly technical fixing. They keep their boats "minimalist" but safe.

For others, one of the precepts of world cruising is acquiring the knowledge to fix what more complicated systems they chose to have beyond the basic. Self sufficiency is the hallmark of the long-time/distance world cruiser as a lot of the really great destinations do not have anybody able to do technical repairs. For those with really "trciked-out" boats, they don't venture far from home and/or beyond their sources of affordable repairs.

One of the basic rules is to research and buy only advanced systems that rarely, if ever fail, if possible. And we carry lots of spares parts before we leave our home countries. I carried extensive list of spare parts from pumps, injection pumps to refrig/freezer systems, on down to tons of nuts, bolts, screws, and shackles, etc., etc.

And in most 3rd world countries the costs of hiring a technician is considerably less than what it would cost in their home country. Unfortunately also there are also places where the costs are considerably higher. Long-time world cruisers tend to migrate periodically to the low price "nexus" for their "repair and replacement" needs.

And finally, as "carstenb" and "bobconnie" discuss, one of the characteristics of the long-time/world cruisers is the principle of "pay-it-forward." That is, you offer your technical skills and help without expectation of any significant recompense and the recipient is obliged to do likewise on down the road to some other cruiser. It is a lost trait not found in folks back in the hectic, money-lust oriented first-world and other homelands. It makes the world cruising experience a unique and life changing experience. It is hard to get back into the "me-first/only" life style that you lived prior to heading out into the far distant seas.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35   #590
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The question was about cruisers doing this sort of repair on other's boats for money in a foreign country not about the owner of the boat getting repaired or not. The problem for someone trying to do this kind of service for other cruisers as a business is you will very possibly run afoul of local regulations. If there is a local resident doing diesel repair for a living and you as a foreigner start taking business away from the local you may find yourself dealing with the authorities and not in a positive way. Just like the USA, if you are not a legal resident with at least a green card you are breaking US law if you have a job or business in the US. Not to say that it doesn't happen but it has to be very under the radar.

Quote:
Depends. I have very often seen cruisers with repair skills helping other cruisers that do so without expectation of pay. One of the many things I love about cruising.

Quote:
Always the best option but not all cruisers are as skilled as you and I.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:52   #591

Boat: 1976 Catalina 27
Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
"linux is free if you consider your time to be worthless"
This kind of thinking keeps me employed.
MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:10   #592

Boat: CT-41

osirissail,

I respectfully disagree with your 03-09 19:10 post. The 23:38 post is much closer to (what I believe to be) the intent of the thread.

The premise in the first post that working cruisers are looking for "significant money" was never part of the idea. Although there are obviously those who do have this goal, they are usually ones who do NOT go cruising for extended time - unless they are money people in the first place. In which case, their participation in the discussion is purely recreational while others are trying to figure out how to make enough to keep sailing.

Second, the comment "other cruisers are as poor or "cheap" as you..." is a vast generalization that assumes the question is about poor sailors trying to make money off other poor sailors, a ridiculous assumption. Cruisers range from the most wealthy in the world to the guy with a home made plywood boat. The poor cruisers who successfully keep sailing do not need help. The many more wealthy ones absolutely do and if they are American, most do not trust local labor, so they are happy to find a skilled tradesman from their home country.

As for the work permit or residency requirements, that is true but as much circumvented as unlicensed tradesmen and illegal immigrants are in the US. Having worked my way around the world for 8 years, I found that bobconnie's comment quite true. If you bring a needed skill, locals most everywhere will either make sure you stay under the radar or arrange for the appropriate permits. I have had both situations happen numerous times. The key is to be aware of and sensitive to the needs of the locals wherever you are and simply DO NOT take work away from them. This is particularly true in developing countries where the locals are usually very happy to have you on board if you bring a higher level of skill and work to help them better their own business. If you can create work or advance skills, you will be welcome most anywhere. EVERY COUNTRY welcomes those who bring real value to their home. The key is one of simple attitude. Bring value to people instead of taking it away from them.

Finally, the comment "In the case of the $500/month world cruiser, they don't have systems on their boats that require expensive or highly technical fixing" - while sometimes true is also a vast generalization. There are many of us who cashed in everything to get our boats ready WITH technical Nav. gear, solid equipment, etc. BEFORE setting sail just because we know we will have difficulty getting expensive stuff once underway and will be sailing on a narrow budget, but in a well equipped boat. Very difficult to successfully keep cruising in a poorly equipped boat on a tight budget.

Working your way around is one of the absolute best ways to make good friends and learn the inside of other cultures. I am still in contact with many great friends I worked with in various countries and those are the countries intended to visit again. Never once had a problem with authorities.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 01:11   #593

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Vino - going back to the OP some 500+ posts ago the thread intent was to list ways to make money while cruising. The discussion has wandered, as is usual, considerably back and forth around that original thread intent.

I read/ interpreted BobConnie's post to support the premise that working outside your own country would not earn "money" equivalent to that which could be earned in your home country even with a medical skill which is one of the ones that generally is more welcome in 3rd World countries.

However, working for money, not barter-type exchange or "beer/dinner" in trades that the locals do possess is taking a rather large risk in my opinion. I have known many, many cruisers trying to earn money to support their cruising in violation of local laws and social norms. Some get away with it if they do not spend too much time in one place. I know of others who have stayed for as much as a year before the local authorities found out and either told them to leave or did much worse things to the cruiser.

One of the "worse things" is getting "Deported" stamped in your passport. That has the potential of being a "kiss of death" to aspirations of entering other countries other than you own country. But "generally" short term "under the radar" cruisers are simply told to leave forthwith and entered on a local list of "non-welcome" people.

And I would disagree with your generalization that "EVERY COUNTRY welcomes those who bring real value to their home." That would mean that 1st World and others who would most assuredly only welcome you if you complied with their legal requirements to work for money. And even in 3rd World countries your entry and permission to stay is determined by a bureaucrat, not an ordinary local citizen. Bureaucrats can be notorious for "shooting themselves in the foot" just to uphold a particular law or regulation. Common sense and practicality in not normally a dominant trait in bureaucrats generically. On the other hand they can in small 3rd World countries be "greased" to overlook certain activities. Sometimes they can get rather blatant about it.

"Vast generalizations" are pretty much the meat of forums such as this as we have all had different and varied experiences on any particular subject. I suspect the "wannabe" readers are more interested in such generalizations rather than discussions of "one particular harbor" or so. They can then get an overall feeling of what's "different" out there from what their own experiences at home have been. Vastly generalizing, there are always exceptions and different specific experiences most probably based on the "attitudes" of the cruiser when dealing with locals and local bureaucrats.

So it is only my intent to alert "wannabe's" that things outside their home countries may be quite different and not to expect what works here at home to work elsewhere in the world. My personal attitude has always been that I am a "guest in their home" who if I become "rude" can be "dis-invited" or worse. Since my personal purpose to cruise is to enjoy and have as much "happy" experiences as possible, I am very cautious about activities such as doing work for money which might be taking such from a local.

That is sometimes difficult to do as the local level of expertise can be dismal or sometimes downright dangerous to an unknowing cruiser just arriving. In such cases, I personally just become an "adviser" to the cruiser with a problem in which I have expertise and help them solve their problem themselves with maybe a little "hands-on" guidance.

This can sometimes generate a conflict between choosing to help out a fellow cruiser and risking your own future cruising abilities should the locals and/or bureaucrats take offense.

Again, this is on the subject of what kinds of working for money while cruising can be expected to be viable to replenish the cruising kitty. IMHO, that is a rather limited list as 500+ posts have pointed out. And mainly they revolve around stuff that can be done via the "internet" with, of course, exceptions based on a cruiser's attitude, luck, and risk level comfort.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 15:36   #594

Boat: Newport 27

Create a system of independents like stated above in this thread. This model is successful in Town Car taxi rides call Uber Car service. Most of the town cars are independent and follow a certain charter they all agree on. They give dates available and locations.

GPS location aware apps can place the closest boat to the request by a customer in the web based system that would be needed to centrally manage this operation. This is a very doable thing.

A payment system would be needed to isolate the "cash" problem and make it simple for boat owners and customers alike.

This would take someone with willingness to host a commerce website with a travel booking interface. This would need a captain's section to allow for boats to put in their itinerary. Would be nice to possibly GPS locaters or something similar to allow showing where boats are and getting status updates to make this a more reliable thing.

This would take a bit of investment, but definitely would open a market for inexpensive travel and help cruisers at the same time.

I really like that post above that brought this idea to light with the Travel Agency Idea. It just needs to be as autonomous as possible to keep costs at minimum.

I apologize for grammar and misspells as I am typing and posting this as quickly as possible. Doing from my phone browser.
whidbeysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 15:41   #595
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

ANY Job you can do with a cell phone and computer you can do while living on a boat in Mexico, or other points south where living is cheap.

Remember, you will be trying to sell your "services" to other cruisers who are just as cheap as you (and me). Sure there are the cruiser types who hire everything done for them but it is much easier to make money by US Costs Standards and then spend it in Mexico.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 15:42   #596

Boat: Newport 27

The biggest problem I see with my own post and with travel agency is Legal Liability. International travel and verification of identity (avoiding criminal traffic or those willing to smuggle contraband within their own luggage. Hard for a boat captain to deal with.
whidbeysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 22:07   #597

Boat: CT-41

Your idea of a web based cruisers job agency (if I can call it that) is a very good one. To create such a web site with a subscriber service would not be difficult for a good salty-geek. If effective in putting a need together with a service outside the local employment system is not only potentially valuable for both service provider and the one who needs.

One not need operate as a Travel Agency, just a web site administrator and payment by subscription using something like PayPal, already in existence and works anywhere you can connect to the internet. It is up to the individuals to figure out their logistics.

So one or more web people can earn by keeping up the site and those who use it earn through a way of cruisers finding others who need their skill.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:38   #598

Anyone teach sailing classes while they cruise? I was thinking of getting the ASA instructor certification so I could teach sailing classes noticing that the ASA site has many help wanted listings for sailing schools throughout the area I am planning to cruise.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight?

Thanks,
GreyBeardVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 20:58   #599

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I have done 2 things that work well.

I learned to weave palm leaf birds fish, shrimp, and hats. In any bar full of tourists, I can make birds faster than I can drink the "adult beverages" I trade them for. I can keep 2 people drinking on birds. Chump change? My monthly beer bill is no inconsiderable amount. I have swapped birds for beer in South America, Africa, North America, and parts of Asia. it works.

Because the birds are traded for beer bought in house, bar owners don't usually object. Cash sales cause trouble.

I also build custom cast nets. High dollar sports fishermen buy these custom nets for top dollar, usually for bait. They want them now, they want quality, and they want them to their specs. They are hard to get in the US, and harder to get outside the US, The business is all done among "foreigners" and I keep a low profile. Webbing is light, and a lead mold is small. Lead and webbing are often available locally. A good cast net will also get you a lot of food. There is a demand for other style nets as well. Locals use nets, and will swap for them.

This won't support you, but it can cover a part of your budget, It can cover your nights on the town, and a $150 custom net will feed the kitty.

It works for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 14:47   #600

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
I have done 2 things that work well.

I learned to weave palm leaf birds fish, shrimp, and hats. In any bar full of tourists, I can make birds faster than I can drink the "adult beverages" I trade them for. I can keep 2 people drinking on birds. Chump change? My monthly beer bill is no inconsiderable amount. I have swapped birds for beer in South America, Africa, North America, and parts of Asia. it works.

Because the birds are traded for beer bought in house, bar owners don't usually object. Cash sales cause trouble.

I also build custom cast nets. High dollar sports fishermen buy these custom nets for top dollar, usually for bait. They want them now, they want quality, and they want them to their specs. They are hard to get in the US, and harder to get outside the US, The business is all done among "foreigners" and I keep a low profile. Webbing is light, and a lead mold is small. Lead and webbing are often available locally. A good cast net will also get you a lot of food. There is a demand for other style nets as well. Locals use nets, and will swap for them.

This won't support you, but it can cover a part of your budget, It can cover your nights on the town, and a $150 custom net will feed the kitty.

It works for me.
Nice set of skills.
Welcome to CF.

Tags
paracelle