Old 06-11-2011, 02:22   #256

Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Lets talk jobs in demand or up and coming:

- drug running
- boat pizza delivery
- boat water delivery
- dingy retrival (from those that took it)
- new and up and coming - pirate reverage agent
- midnight slapping halyard line cutter
- old wind generator noise controller
- new people pulling into the docks ticket scalpers
- turn off that frekin generator notice poster
- diver to check our boat bottom because we have been here long enough to see what's in the water!

These probably aren't what you all were thinking of, but oppuntity knocks!
G'day, Don,
The first one sounds interesting, but if we all got into that, They'd probably legalise it. So the war on drugs would be over, people could use drugs in a safe and controlled way with the Govt supplying and making a profit. Putting the money into medical research. So you do the drug safety and responsiblity course, get your licence and you're on your way and you're legal. But, I digress. I think I'll invent a bubble wrap to stop halyard slap :-) Fair skies and safe harbours. Bill

Old 06-11-2011, 02:41   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
I recently just closed down my business of 7 years. The market was hard enough as it is, but I figured it had to be done to fit into our sail plan coming up in the next 2 years anyway. Theres little room for owning a walk in retail business and cruising. Heh.

I actually went back to application development and have been relearning all the programming that I learned in High School and college. The trick I think is to produce something that is relatively self-sustainable without you being present and requiring a ton of staff to maintain in your absence. So, I have been working with a few chaps on an iPad app hoping to release it into the wild this coming spring.

The hope is that the revenue just glides into my account while I am offshore. Its funny, the last few months of coding I have been sitting at my desk at home on a laptop, the thought crossed my mind that I could do this at a Nav Table in teh Windwards and there would be no difference in productivity except a lot of much needed fresh air.

Anything that can produce income without you actually having to be accessible is the trick. Some suggest Day trading, but I think that is difficult. Leaving an instrument open by accident and finding out 1 week later when you roll into wifi access that it went south would be devastating. I've lost money turning my back for 2 mins making a pot of coffee with S&P orders open. I couldnt handle not being able to check on my orders during a long passage, it would drive me mad.

I have a friend that is a web developer that often goes on long multi month hiking trips, he creates assets and uses a service that sells them for him. While hes hiking, hes making money. That was my inspiration for going back to development.
Hi, Patient, making use of a laptop would seem to be a way to go, especially if you have or can acquire the skills. Regards, Bill

Old 06-11-2011, 02:57   #258
Armchair Bucketeer

Ok, a bit off the wall......

.........but what about teaching basic Boat Building? (mostly to fellow cruisers - but depending on local conditions could include a few tourists $$$ ).

Not talking about building a 50 ketch out of solid oak , but things like Dinks (esp. sailing and including nesting / folding).....and canoes, where Punter can either build own or help someone else - could be nice sidelines in buying and selling 'em s/h (from folk returning home) and maybe also from customising to fit specific vessels.

Just a thought
Old 06-11-2011, 03:08   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Ok, a bit off the wall......

.........but what about teaching basic Boat Building? (mostly to fellow cruisers - but depending on local conditions could include a few tourists $$$ ).

Not talking about building a 50 ketch out of solid oak , but things like Dinks (esp. sailing and including nesting / folding).....and canoes, where Punter can either build own or help someone else - could be nice sidelines in buying and selling 'em s/h (from folk returning home) and maybe also from customising to fit specific vessels.

Just a thought
Cool idea, and could include maintenance so that owners can be sure that their pride and joy is up to scratch before laying a deep water course...Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 03:33   #260
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBeggs View Post
Cool idea, and could include maintenance so that owners can be sure that their pride and joy is up to scratch before laying a deep water course...Bill
Let us know how you get on and if works well I might set up a rival business
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34   #261
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

From what Taru writes here...

THE WORLD TOUR - Alex and Taru sailing around the world. Hallberg Rassy 352 for sale.: Question of the day - How do we make money on this journey?

It seems that they've been able to finance all of their cruising expenses, plus even a bit to savings from sponsorship revenue from their blog, Alex's occasional work as a delivery skipper and boat-builder, and Taru's photography.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53   #262

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Patient, day trading does not require you to be accessible, however, it requires that you are in constant contact with your investments, essentially, it requires a fast and reliable internet connection all day every day during trading hours. Or, the hours that you choose to be "employed". It also requires extreme talent, skill, luck, and stamina or else you'll lose your shirt and pants shortly before your nervous breakdown.

If you are selling applications that will "sell themselves" you still will be rated based on whether your support is needed, or prompt. If the app is rock solid and folks don't need to email you for support, you're golden. If they have problems and they don't get an answer overnight--they're likely to pan the product.

"i-stuff" owners apparently are from a much richer market demographic that Android or general web users. So even though the market is smaller, they've got more bucks to throw on apps, making them a richer target market, fwiw.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06   #263
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

corporate sponsorship....with bragging rights and a glossy blog for incoming donations.....
run a company remotely--set it up so you can do this before you leave----many kinds of businesses are readily run via remote locale....INTERNET!!!!--we all use it-- but how many of us use it for income ???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 00:30   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Patient, day trading does not require you to be accessible, however, it requires that you are in constant contact with your investments, essentially, it requires a fast and reliable internet connection all day every day during trading hours. Or, the hours that you choose to be "employed". It also requires extreme talent, skill, luck, and stamina or else you'll lose your shirt and pants shortly before your nervous breakdown.

If you are selling applications that will "sell themselves" you still will be rated based on whether your support is needed, or prompt. If the app is rock solid and folks don't need to email you for support, you're golden. If they have problems and they don't get an answer overnight--they're likely to pan the product.

"i-stuff" owners apparently are from a much richer market demographic that Android or general web users. So even though the market is smaller, they've got more bucks to throw on apps, making them a richer target market, fwiw.
Thank you so much for the comment Hello!

Our dev group is now overseen by a larger company, so thank god I do not have to be around for the support portion.

You are spot on about day trading. I had some fun with it doing FOREX late at night, but its exactly as you said, riding on the seat of your pants and asking for an ulcer. However, perhaps some low risk trading using something like ThinkOrSwim would be ok. I am just too paranoid though to let an order sit out there even with specific instructions on it to do that myself.

I would be really interested to hear how people manage trades while cruising. I had a hard time finding an internet connection even in the BVI, so I cant imagine what it would be like trying to check into your portfolio somewhere remote.

Great thread everyone, its be a fun read so far.
Old 15-11-2011, 04:12   #265

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
That, my American friend, is a Tim Horton's coffee. And pity the poor sailor that has never had one. LOL
Arrrgh! I hate them! Who wears pleated pants these days! They market themselves as a "Canadian" institution. I never heard of them till the 90's! Go back to Toronto! My wife's addicted to the crap. They hire foreign workers for the night shift and treat them like crap! Although I must admit the coffee ain't half bad.
Old 15-11-2011, 05:05   #266
Armchair Bucketeer

The internet not only allows someone to access customers (and vice verce) without needing to be location specific, it also means that both the workforce and the Management (where the better money is!) don't need to be in the same place (and even the workers don't need to be).

As anyone who has run a business can testify, people as employees are amongst the biggest PITA to deal with . Some of them even want (or expect!) to be "Happy" in there jobs ..............Used to be that if the "the boss" wasn't around folk could get away with doing SFA - but internet allows folk (and work output) to be managed from a distance far more easily than was the case. Not to say that compromises don't need to be made and processes / systems designed around the absent boss - but nowadays far more doable with the right services / products........

Anyway, will let you all know how that pans out
Old 15-11-2011, 06:11   #267

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Another one if you are a breastfeeding mom. Breast milk (after your baby is older) is a highly valuable commodity. $300.00 for 900 oz. Just sayin'
Old 15-11-2011, 06:54   #268
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Another one if you are a breastfeeding mom. Breast milk (after your baby is older) is a highly valuable commodity. $300.00 for 900 oz. Just sayin'
That’s a whole lot of milk there you’re talking about, it might be better to go in one of them topless coffee shops and offer a squirt or two in the coffee, I understand there getting about $20 a shot !!Just saying hahah!
Old 15-11-2011, 07:35   #269

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thatís a whole lot of milk there youíre talking about, it might be better to go in one of them topless coffee shops and offer a squirt or two in the coffee, I understand there getting about $20 a shot !!Just saying hahah!
Yeah, thats alot of pumping actually not to mention the freezer space needed. I like your idea better, although think I'll stick with half and half!
Old 15-11-2011, 07:54   #270
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thatís a whole lot of milk there youíre talking about, it might be better to go in one of them topless coffee shops and offer a squirt or two in the coffee, I understand there getting about $20 a shot !!Just saying hahah!
Ha ha ha ...ha ha ha ..ha ha ha!

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: