Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 07:31   #166

Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

I found this forum via this thread. I have read all 11 pages of posts and loved 99% of it. I think I may print the majority of it and put it in a binder.

I was going to reference individual posts, such as the initiator, Agility, but then I decided to not be so long-winded and difficult to read. There would be gobs of references and too much for my long-winded arse to comment on.

Ok, I am just some guy, but here is what I have gleaned and assembled from this awesome thread:
(I am going to bullet it to make it easier to read.)

· Preference is the determining factor when considering which method of acquiring money. It is some people’s path to have lots of money and that is good. More money can be a positive thing. I am open and accepting to whatever path I am led down. However, what feels right to me is not being driven by money as a primary motivator. The meaning of life, love and joy, is what is important to me. Everything else is extraneous nonsense to experience love and joy.

· Perspective is a driving force. Some feel that dreams equate to thought about unattainable things. Others, like me, believe that dreams are indeed thoughts, but thoughts as tools for creating what we choose to experience. Some have a view in which we are helplessly drifting through this life completely subjected to the whims of chance and random occurrences. Others, again like me, believe that wherever you are is an awesome experience and, what you want and you, will be drawn to each other like magnets.

· Betterment is infectious. When someone seeks betterment it becomes contagious, it spreads like fire. Their personal betterment leads to a desire within them to better the world outside their own life experience. Also, their own betterment is a light that emits a glow that others want to bask in and experience as well.

· An Idea. What about helping the local businesses. Offer your services as a hairdresser, painter, etc. as some sort of partnership where you offer a cut rate and they can offer their services for a reduced price, which will generate more work for them, more positive public opinion, and will increase everyone’s love and joy, so you are not some sneaky “gypsy” trying to steal from the community. An added benefit will be the bbq/parties that you will be invited to. Another thing that exists in a bubble of reciprocal betterment is the assistance shared, such as mechanical help, carpentry, sewing, foodstuffs, and future job opportunities.

· Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to contribute to the thread. I like the ideas of some community, such as on this forum, of people from all over the world in various places. With this here new-fangled Internets machine, the reputation that is required and was once established by being there for extended periods, can be established through a trusted site. This would not, of course, reach directly to areas without computers or access even. However, word of mouth can travel about as fast as the Internet’s lightning speed. A pub owner could frequent the “trusted site” and share their knowledge with their patrons who may be other boat owners, locals, and government officials. With some prior planning everyone will benefit from the skills and abilities individuals bring wherever they go. I have been attracted to the family community of sailing. This coupled with the communities created online makes very helpful, very viable sites such as this one exist. Regardless of an individual’s primary motivator, they can couple with other like-minded people and flourish themselves as well as others with shared knowledge and experience.

No, I am not 18. I am indeed a hippie, but I am a born-again hippie and I still value my desire to sacrifice my own life for the freedom of others to experience theirs in whatever way it may be. Does my love of democracy resonate?

John
NJtheteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58   #167
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Here are some addl ideas:
* Anchor where there are a lot of bareboat charterers and take orders for pie, cake, bread, donuts or whatever your specialty in baked goods. Folks on a week-long spree are willing to pay high prices for good stuff. Deliver it hot and fresh from the oven.
* Carry a heavy duty sewing machine and a few bolts of Sunbrella, then custom-make small pieces. Lots of demand for winch covers, deckbox covers, patching sun shades, etc. Use scraps to make ditty bags to sell or to throw in as lagniappes.
* Carry air conditioning test equipment and, if can manage it, refrigerant. Faced with a year's supply of melting provisions, cruisers are eager to get repairs and pay fairly for them.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Here are some addl ideas:
* Anchor where there are a lot of bareboat charterers and take orders for pie, cake, bread, donuts or whatever your specialty in baked goods. Folks on a week-long spree are willing to pay high prices for good stuff. Deliver it hot and fresh from the oven.
* Carry a heavy duty sewing machine and a few bolts of Sunbrella, then custom-make small pieces. Lots of demand for winch covers, deckbox covers, patching sun shades, etc. Use scraps to make ditty bags to sell or to throw in as lagniappes.
* Carry air conditioning test equipment and, if can manage it, refrigerant. Faced with a year's supply of melting provisions, cruisers are eager to get repairs and pay fairly for them.
Ooh, I like these.
NJtheteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45   #169
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Charter in Croatia

Heres an idea thats ready now- I have some past clients who want a charter in Croatia in Sept the first week - there budget is $3-4000 for 5-6 days- if you can do this, I will pass them to you, Im busy and cannot handel them-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:08   #170
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P View Post
Why is it that there has to be put a dollar sign on every £@‰!" thing? Also, picking up things like shells from the sea for sale is highly immoral.
"Im broke,busted,I mean like nothing" Ray Charles
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:57   #171

Boat: Still Looking

Has anyone tried trading in diesel?
If you had a big enough boat with large enough tanks, then you could go to Venezuela and fill up with cheep diesel and then sail to the Caribbean and sell it to boats at anchor.

Are there any legal or other things that could get in the way of this idea.
I am also thinking of trading. Buying something that is cheep in the place I am at and selling it where it would be expensive.
SPARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 14:39   #172
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARK View Post
Has anyone tried trading in diesel?
If you had a big enough boat with large enough tanks, then you could go to Venezuela and fill up with cheep diesel and then sail to the Caribbean and sell it to boats at anchor.

Are there any legal or other things that could get in the way of this idea.
I am also thinking of trading. Buying something that is cheep in the place I am at and selling it where it would be expensive.
Many legal ramifications...license,taxes, dutys,not to mention you are stepping on some big ole fat toes...ie Exxon,Shell,BP,Chevron,by the way I was told that the only diff. between high test gas and regular gas was how many times it had been moved from one tank to another, anyone know about this? DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 16:26   #173

Boat: Spirit 23

I admit, I skipped about five pages, but I did not see this as a suggestion in the seven I did read. We haven't set out yet, so this is more a question as people have talked about internet businesses: what about on-line teaching? I have my Masters', could teach for a school that is mostly on-line (like University of Phoenix or something), but would need 20-25 hours of high-speed internet a week during four-week courses. Is this doable, in your opinion?
CaptainRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:01   #174

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRob View Post
. . . Is this doable, in your opinion?
Sure, There is more internet access these days than pump-out places. Of course the internet access these days is usually "for pay" so you would have to figure that into your cost equations. See the CF thread on long distance WiFi.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 20:21   #175

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRob View Post
I admit, I skipped about five pages, but I did not see this as a suggestion in the seven I did read. We haven't set out yet, so this is more a question as people have talked about internet businesses: what about on-line teaching? I have my Masters', could teach for a school that is mostly on-line (like University of Phoenix or something), but would need 20-25 hours of high-speed internet a week during four-week courses. Is this doable, in your opinion?
Yes, its doable. I've done it living aboard full time cruising the US East Coast and the Abacos. It limits your cruising to areas with very good internet access and you have to time passages for periods where you can be off line for a couple days. We had no problem in the Abacos where wi-fi is everywhere especially with a long range wifi device. In the US, a good 3G signal works well. If you pay for internet by the month it works out OK. If you have to pay by the day you will probably get eaten alive.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 11:24   #176

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
pirate Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

That Pirate Revenge Agent sounds appealing. Whats the going rate?
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:15   #177

Boat: Looking for Cat. between 32-40ft to sail around the world From Florida startn 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Vision View Post
I have often thought about buying a small marina maybe one with a small restaurant in a small coastal community. Notice the "small" as in not spending a fortune to get started. What a great retirement job that would ensure I am active in boating.

Has anyone else ventured into the marina biz?
We were in Tonga "Va VAU' last 2009 & met an American couple who almost do what you are talking about, they look after up to 16 boats at one time when people have sailed from NZ USA etc & have to head home for some time , they charge around $100 per month & they will air & do maintenance on your boat while you are away. they also move them if there are any "bad storms" that could do damage & they take them up a deep river/swamp area. They have a small house boat they live on & have sailed since they were children & now have retired there & they are in the late 60s.
They also told us not to get a boat as we will use all our money very fast on maintaining it :-(( BUt we are still going to get one in 5 months time. we only here once & we want to live more !!
welshdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:52   #178

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Generally if you have a trade or profession it's doable to find work where ever you call in for an extended stay. I worked at my trade fabricating & welding in Gibraltar for 18 months, then 6 months in St. Maarten, Caribbean, then back in Queensland during cyclone season layover.

Got home after 6yrs away with more money than we started with!!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:18   #179

Boat: Still Looking

If you are wanting to buy trade goods in one country and sell them in another country, what paperwork do you have to carry especially if you will be cruising through a few countries before you trade your goods?
SPARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:31   #180
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARK View Post
If you are wanting to buy trade goods in one country and sell them in another country, what paperwork do you have to carry especially if you will be cruising through a few countries before you trade your goods?
what trade goods? they are gifts as far as customs are concerned......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle