Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 16:39   #151

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
lol, well thous are all good points, I think i should be ok, being as I have darker completion. I'm pretty much a local where ever i go lol.
Old 11-12-2010, 17:42   #152

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Don't count on it. In the small countries most everybody knows most everybody. Outsiders are very easy to spot by the locals. The easiest way is language - the local spoken language is usually specific to the country/island and rarely is based on standard 1st world grammar/syntax rules. The locals speak in phrases mixing a variety of ancient native and acquired languages from the various historical rulers. In the Caribbean, Patrois and Creole take years to understand and be able to speak so you don't sound like a Russian in Plainfield, Iowa
- - Hellosailor summarized the situation best in post #146. However, as was posted much earlier you can always legally join the local business community with your skills for a few years especially if you are employing locals in your endeavor. You "interrupt" your cruising journey for awhile to both earn money and contribute to the locals by creating opportunities for them. I would be hard pressed to remember a boating related service craft in the islands that is not owned or run by an "ex-pat" who arrived there on a cruising boat and decided to stay awhile.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 02:02   #153

Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

If people really wanted to make money while cruising and had a bit of time before they headed off then one would think they would do a full trade course as a diesel mechanic or marine electrician.
They are the only folks we have never met cruising!!
markspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:07   #154
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspencer View Post
If people really wanted to make money while cruising and had a bit of time before they headed off then one would think they would do a full trade course as a diesel mechanic or marine electrician.
They are the only folks we have never met cruising!!
If I was a fullly qualified diesel mechanic or marine electrician...........I would keep it very quiet as well.

Some folks have strange ideas about what half a 6 pack will get them. and many in life seem to have an overly developed sense of entitlement .........that can be expressed in umbrage at a refusal to help.

"A refusal may offend - but not half as often as a straight: F#ck Off "
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 11:18   #155
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A full trade course?

One might think that folks who were serious enough to invest the time and moneyin a formal education, might also often be the same kind of folks who would worry about unlicensed businesses, liability insurance, and the other tradeoffs and risks to conducting a trade off the books and often in violation of local employment laws.

Do a formal education in a trade, and there are always shops looking to exploit, ergh, reward that certification with high paying jobs. Or at least that's what all the trade schools claim.

Then again just yesteray I saw the web site for a modern miracle business, a "Fuel Doctor" that sells for about $70, probably costs a buck to bring in from China, and claims to greatly benefit your car by performing mystical functions on the entire electrical system. Now, that kind of business you can run from anywhere, and it sure has to beat getting your hands full of motor oil. I wonder...
...if I can license the rights to sell the MARINE VERSION!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 12:06   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I'll sell you the rights for $10,000. Doesn't matter which currrency you pay in as long as it's cash.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:23   #157

Wink Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

[QUOTE][QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogonian View Post
No offense to anyone else's posts or suggestions, but this is the most helpful and realistic solution to the question of a "cruising business", for the average cruiser, imho. My point is, I'm surprised that no one even commented on this guys model, as he wrote a very detailed and insightful post. (I Agree)

I think its the most realistic solution:
1. Because of the reasoning, which he provided, which evidences why the targeting other boaters as customers is flawed for consistent income and long term business, in most cases.

2. Because it requires enough work and planning to keep your competition out, but no too much work to where you need to slave away for 5 years full time to make it happen. Also, targeted keywords in you domain name, high ranking keywords in the domain name, a trademark, copyrights, and some decent branding can largely protect your business and efforts from significant competition for the rest of your life.

3. Because the work that you put in to get it started, will keep paying you for years to come. You are no longer trading labor/time directly for money. That means that you may no longer need to take time off to replenish that kitty.

4. Because the cash flow, in a low maintenance information based internet business, can act like the pension that you never had.

5. Because it doesn't have to cost a lot to go into business.

Of course, I may be biased, because I'm pursuing almost the exact model to a T, with some very minor differences. But if you asked me if the business models were 'different' I would say no. The only difference is in the product type to be sold.

I see my time and effort as a very low risk. And I've probably taken one of the more difficult routes that could be taken under this model, in terms of effort required. I'm at the 2.5 year mark, and I likely have another year to go before I start seeing a return. If I didn't create the product myself (a detailed technical book) then the process would have been a lot shorter.

But there is a learning curve, and there is a lot of different skills to learn.
I too thought this was by far the most realistic quote for me as well....

but as far as building a "Top 10" website goes well beyond most peoples skill set. Building a website is easy, but optimizing it is the hard part. There are BILLIONS of websites and only a select few make it into the Top 10 organic search results.

I have personally built several #1 websites and I can tell you personally that I have spent endless hours researching, developing, and implementing different SEO strategies only to see if the results of my labors would either hurt or help my search engine rankings months later.

This is also the model I will be implementing and I know it will take a couple of years of development to actually turn a profit large enough to support the income level that is comfortable for me.

Anyone else who is interested in doing this internet thing please understand that there are no good books and absolutely no good courses to be had in The Art of Search Engine Optimization and/or content writing.

It is doable because I have done it and you can too, but don't pay for someone to do this for you because chances are the SEO company doesn't know either.... that's why I don't work for one.

Try a hobby site first, and the only tip I will give is to get a domain name that is specific to what you are doing such a cruisersforum.com. If you are selling widgets make sure that "widgets" is in the domain.

BTW good internet underway is almost $1k per month so if you go this route, do something that is low maintenance and update your content when in port.

also this a great site!!!!
showsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 14:25   #158

Boat: I dream :)

Hi Guys Like many of you I dream of life on a boat with some means of financial support. I would like to do that in three years. Meanwhile I want to get sailing certification. I would love to start a charter business. I'm a chef with many years of experience. At first glance running Sunset Dinner Cruises for peple seems like good idea. mayby even writting a cook book for cruisers. I recognize that purchasing a boat and getting into this requires planning and a lot of thought.
What I have not heard on this portal and others is people seeking partnerships. Supplementing eachother skills and support is probably most important in such ventures.
Ekowal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 14:36   #159
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowal1965 View Post
Hi Guys Like many of you I dream of life on a boat with some means of financial support. I would like to do that in three years. Meanwhile I want to get sailing certification. I would love to start a charter business. I'm a chef with many years of experience. At first glance running Sunset Dinner Cruises for peple seems like good idea. mayby even writting a cook book for cruisers. I recognize that purchasing a boat and getting into this requires planning and a lot of thought.
What I have not heard on this portal and others is people seeking partnerships. Supplementing eachother skills and support is probably most important in such ventures.
Try SSSSM.... its on here.. lotsa folk looking for 'Partnerships'....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 14:59   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think they call it "crew" in the sailing world.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:15   #161

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowal1965 View Post
The introduction to the forum usually a bit more welcoming ;-) but we can have a sense of humor.
Welcome aboard.

Extemp.
Old 23-03-2011, 18:40   #162

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you are a chef and would like to get to know what the whole "charter business" thing is all about then put yourself on Find a Crew™ - www.findacrew.net
website and/ or go to the Virgin Islands and ask around for the links to the "crew" listings for "crewed charterers" operating there. There is a good turn-over as one boat goes broke and another tries to get into the business. You can probably get a job as replacement or temp chef when the regular chef goes on vacation. It does take a bit of searching about to find out the "inside" links to the business.
- - But then you will find out what the whole thing is about and how you can go broke quick, especially in today's bummer financial situation. Or you might just "click" and get a following of clients who will follow you when you set up your own boat. Either way there is a lot, a real lot more to the business than just a dream about it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 08:36   #163

Boat: I dream :)

Thanx for your welcome and yes if one wants to be in this lifestyle one must have sence of humor Sometimes I get the feeling that this lifestyle is for well to do retired people LOL. Trying becoming a crew member crossed my mind and is very good advice. I realize that being a chef and being a charter chef can be two different things especially in the tropics. Being a chef can be a great asset but being a competent sailor and having some money behind you should be priority.
This summer i will start sailing clases in Toronto. also as a US citizen I wonder how this business of foreign certification works.I think starting in US Virgin Islands woud be a goood start. Again thank-you for your advice and if anybody would have anything else to throw into this conversation - that would be great.
Ekowal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 09:21   #164
cruiser

looking for free labour

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If I was a fullly qualified diesel mechanic or marine electrician...........I would keep it very quiet as well.

Some folks have strange ideas about what half a 6 pack will get them. and many in life seem to have an overly developed sense of entitlement .........that can be expressed in umbrage at a refusal to help.

"A refusal may offend - but not half as often as a straight: F#ck Off "
-half to agree as after spending 6 hours working on another cruisers diesel he gave me a bottle of chivas,didnt mind at the time but i never saw him again and doubt id trust him to repair anything of mine as he was very unskilled,,never ceases to amaze me how many cant even repair a toilet at sea who charter boats without captains,,some knowledge is indeed best check secret as i wouldnt repair my neighbours toilet unless some cash traded upfront before labour,,one skill that is in demand if you have scuba gear onboard is "bottom cleaning" and its a good idea to get paid upfront as you might look over the next morning and they"ve lifted anchor and gone,,selling cheap cigarettes goes over well but little profit,,cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 10:47   #165

Hi very good idea I live actually in Mexico Df. How altoghether of you and me can start doing so?
Regards
Sergio
racing8989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle